Chemically Welding Lucite

rhr2010

Is there any solvent that can be used to chemically weld lucite? Would MEK work?

Thanks!

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rhr2010

• dcwaites

• OcalaFlGuy

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the formulation and molecular weight of the polymerized material. Lucite is a trade name for poly-methyl methacrylate.

I'd be inclined to use a halogenated ozone depleter to bond it.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Depends on the formulation and molecular weight of the polymerized material. Lucite is a trade name for poly-methyl methacrylate.

I'd be inclined to use a halogenated ozone depleter to bond it.

Enough with the big words already!
MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

Thank you FarmBoy. Now where would a common mortal get halogenated ozone depleter?

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

You can dissolve Lucite/PlexiGlass/Perspex shavings in acetone to give you the consistency you need, from runny to gloopy.

You can use superglue or other organic solvents like dichloromethane (methylene chloride) or trichloromethane (chlorform). You might want to consider lots of ventilation and breathing masks for the latter two.

More useful might be a commercial adhesive based on these solvents, like Weld-On 3. Depending on the amount you need, you can get a gallon of for about $120.

It really depends on what you are trying to glue together, if it is a pen, a small aquarium or an above-ground swimming pool.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Thank you dcwaites. I have a short crack in the cap of a modern lucite pen, it is more esthetical issue than structural. Is acetone better than MEK for lucite?

I am not trying to be a jerk here.

I honestly can't remember the reco for Lucite but the Pro's have answered that here before.

If you want to warm up your search finger, I'd probably unleash The FPN Googler Searcher on this one.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thank you dcwaites. I have a short crack in the cap of a modern lucite pen, it is more esthetical issue than structural. Is acetone better than MEK for lucite?

Acetone is what I used to use many years ago to put together aquaria made from perspex/lucite. The problem is that you do end up with unsightly stains on the surface of the plastic, which didn't matter for our use (keeping marine specimens in a lab).

I think I would stay away from the MEK, it is a different solvent from the ones discussed above, and can be quite hazardous.

In you case, if you could open up the crack the tiniest little bit you could use a high-quality superglue. It will leave some on the surface, but because it isn't a solvent, it could be buffed off.

The solvent welding glues (acetone, di- and tri-chloromethane) will penetrate the gap, but will also leave marks on the surface of the plastic. Because these are melted into the surface, they will be hard to remove without removing some of the plastic.

If the cap is easily and reasonably cheaply replaceable, such as a TWSBI cap, I would do that instead. If not, send it to a professional repairer.

I don't think that you will be able to make the crack disappear, what ever solution you use.

Also have a look at this thread, particularly the comments made by OldGriz, Wahlnut and Ron Z, and this thread.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I had very good success with MEK with several plastics and I never had stains left after buffing, but at time I melted a similar plastic in MEK and then applied it to gouges, cracks etc as a filler. This specific pen is stated to be lucite and I think MEK might not work. Where can I buy Methylene chloride in US?

Thanks!

Hello

You can get what you need at a hobby shop. Last time I was in hobby lobby they had it with an applicator. I don't remember the brand but just look around the models. I think you could get better help at one of the small hobby shops but it isn't that hard to find.

Take care

Mark