Lamy Neon Coral Safari Ink..

markh

My new Lamy Safari Neon Coral pen arrived today (from Cult Pens in the UK). Along with the pen I got two packages of the special edition Coral ink cartridges.

I already had a Safari filled with Diamine Brilliant Red. To my eye, the inks are almost identical. The Brilliant red is very slightly more intense or darker - which could actually be a slight difference in ink flow between the two pens.

IMO, you would never notice the difference unless they are side by side. Even then, unless you put a lot of ink on the page, you won't see it. Handwriting (as opposed to scribbling an intense patch) doesn't show the difference.

The pen... well it's a Safari. The color is very (neon/dayglo) bright. It writes like other Safari's, which seems just about perfect.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markh

• Blue_Moon

• Inkwellpens

• Sailor Kenshin

I think they look quite different. I show a writing sample using the new pen and cartridges in this review.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=trekpw3vnr8

I haven't done a side by side comparison though.

I'm not sure what you are comparing. The pen is a unique, bright color, and I don't know any other pen to compare it to.

It's the ink I'm comparing. I just happened to have another Lamy pen filled with Diamine Brilliant Red - to me that ink and the ink in the special cartridge made for the coral pen are an almost perfect match.

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

I think they look quite different. I show a writing sample using the new pen and cartridges in this review.

I haven't done a side by side comparison though.

Great review!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I'm not sure what you are comparing. The pen is a unique, bright color, and I don't know any other pen to compare it to.

It's the ink I'm comparing. I just happened to have another Lamy pen filled with Diamine Brilliant Red - to me that ink and the ink in the special cartridge made for the coral pen are an almost perfect match.

I haven't compared the two inks as I mentioned earlier. I have done a writing sample with the cartridges and the ink does match the pen colour, I do agree though that the Lamy red cartridge in my son's pen is on the pink side of red.

I do like that they have brought out matching inks.... I hope they do it with others.

www.thepenandinkwell.com @ inkwellpens

• 2 weeks later...

Where can you buy the Neon Coral ink? None of my US sources seem to have it.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Where can you buy the Neon Coral ink? None of my US sources seem to have it.

Brian at Goulet said that he was going to get a limited supply. I checked his website the other day when the Coral Safaris came in, and even though I looked for it, I didn't see the ink anywhere. Evidently, he hasn't gotten it yet.

Brian at Goulet said that he was going to get a limited supply. I checked his website the other day when the Coral Safaris came in, and even though I looked for it, I didn't see the ink anywhere. Evidently, he hasn't gotten it yet.

Yeah, it didn't come with our Safari shipment. We have an inquiry out to Lamy to find out the ETA on the ink cartridges. I don't even know the SKU yet, which is why I haven't listed it on the site yet. Will keep you posted!

Hi, When my Safari Coral FP arrived with a supply of Coral cartridges, I inserted one to try out the new colour only to find a blue tinge which I assumed was where the nib unit had been tested in the factory with blue ink. After cleaning and drying the unit, the true colour of the ink came through but I was a bit disappointed to find that the colour is almost identical if not the same as the Lamy Red cartridges that I already had.

Edited by Keith E Bartlett

When I got mine, I rinsed it out using a converter - a habit on all new pens. There was blue ink in the nib.

Its interesting that on such a mass produced pen, they are individually dipped and tested, if that's what's happening.

Well, I'm disappointed. I got my Neon Coral today from Goulet Pens and it had a regular old blue cart in it. Bummer.

Well, I'm disappointed. I got my Neon Coral today from Goulet Pens and it had a regular old blue cart in it. Bummer.

The C/C Lamy pens always come with a blue cart; the coral carts have to be purchased separately.

I found the ink an odd colour, as if there was ink in the pen previously. I'll clean it out and try again.

Lamy tests their nibs, so you'll almost always find blue ink in a Safari.

Given that these are "cheap" pens, produced in large quantities, I think that's pretty amazing. A commitment to quality, I guess.

I hadn't heard about this until until I got the weekly newsletter from Goulet Pens on Wednesday. Apparently it's supposed to arrive later this month.

I was only able to find one writing sample of it online from this Hong Kong based site:

http://kmpn.blogspot.com/2014/04/lamy-neon-coral-2014.html

It looks from the writing sample to be more pink than red (although I've never tried Lamy Red before). I'm quite intrigued by this new ink and I think I might have to get some when it comes out. It's a shame that Lamy puts their more interesting colors (like Violet) in cart only.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I've always found ink residue in new Lamy pens. In all but one case, it was blue, but I've had a Lamy Accent with green ink residue in it. It made a change!

• 5 weeks later...

After years of reading Inky Thoughts, I'm offering my first contribution...

My Lamy Neon Coral and 'matching cartridges' arrived today and the pen is indeed neon. The Lamy ink colour however is a rather tasteful and subdued affair. Perhaps better in the long-term, for when the novelty has worn off, but not the jolt of colour I was hoping for to match the pen.

The Lamy nexx with the orange cap - and Diamine Pumpkin - still score for the supreme co-ordination whilst this year's Lamy AL-star Bluegreen special addition teams perfectly with Diamine's Soft Mint.

Enough colour matching for my first post, I think.

After years of reading Inky Thoughts, I'm offering my first contribution...

My Lamy Neon Coral and 'matching cartridges' arrived today and the pen is indeed neon. The Lamy ink colour however is a rather tasteful and subdued affair. Perhaps better in the long-term, for when the novelty has worn off, but not the jolt of colour I was hoping for to match the pen.

The Lamy nexx with the orange cap - and Diamine Pumpkin - still score for the supreme co-ordination whilst this year's Lamy AL-star Bluegreen special addition teams perfectly with Diamine's Soft Mint.

Enough colour matching for my first post, I think.

There can never be enough color matching.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.