Hate To Say The "b" Word....

Sandy Fry

Hey folks,

I hate even mentioning the word " Ballpoint " but I am looking for a classy ballpoint/rollerball as a graduation gift for my son. He is disinterested in "old-timey" pens ( his words ) so a fountain pen is out.

I don't really want to spend any more than $300 U. S. on a BP/RB so anyone got any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe a Montblanc Starwalker BP which is slightly more than $300. I would prefer to buy something from an authorized dealer so I have the "official" warranty.

Thanks

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy Fry

• KBeezie

• FloatingFountain

• FayeV

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't really have anything to suggest, just that I don't necessarily see BP being that bad a word if it's in "First Stop" or brand Specific.

Starwalker does look nice, but how does he feel about lines compared to a slightly different kind of 'old timey' look?

I've thought bout doing the same for a family member, except I'm much cheaper, so likely a Jinhao 159 Ballpoint, just cuz I have a family member that likes the look, but they're not quite so picky since they've only ever use whatever BP was near them, and a BP is more practical in their eyes.

Though I do know that if you went the rollerball route it'll suffer some of the same cons as a fountain pen in regards to paper that it works well with (bleeding, feathering), or obtaining RB refills inexpensively (but if it's a pen of a couple hundred dollars, you'd want the refills to be top quality, otherwise what's the point?).

Edited by KBeezie

I am not sure what you mean.

My son has no interest in fountain pens, mechanical watches...etc. He was born in the digital age and I am pretty sure he only puts pen to paper when needing to at school.

I am assuming that whatever college/university he attends, he will need to take notes at some point so I thought a nice BP/RB would suffice. He already has all the digital gizmos...smartphone, tablet...you get the idea.

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

I am not sure what you mean.

My son has no interest in fountain pens, mechanical watches...etc. He was born in the digital age and I am pretty sure he only puts pen to paper when needing to at school.

I am assuming that whatever college/university he attends, he will need to take notes at some point so I thought a nice BP/RB would suffice. He already has all the digital gizmos...smartphone, tablet...you get the idea.

David

Right but what I'm saying is the 'lined look' might seem a little 'off' to someone who is us more used to sleek streamline designs, the SpaceWalker one might seem too Retro to him (and yea I originally mis-read your 'disinterested' bit).

If he's big into technology and all those digital gizmos then the things that come to mind are things like Lamy 2000, Kaweco AL Sport, Pilot Vanishing Point, etc. ... but in a ballpoint (ie: the "look" of those pens, but in a ballpoint).

Edited by KBeezie

Guest Ray Cornett

He was born in the digital age and I am pretty sure he only puts pen to paper when needing to at school.

So you want to give him a gift of something he is forced to use at school......You might be better off getting him a gift card for iTunes........

Guest Ray Cornett

If you are on Facebook and really want a pen for him that is different I suggest joining some of the penmaker groups. I have seen some pens that were being made that actually made me want them. But I have such a preference for fountain pens that I honestly would not use it.

So you want to give him a gift of something he is forced to use at school......You might be better off getting him a gift card for iTunes........

Hrm that is a good point, if he ONLY uses a pen at school, the gift might not be one that's appreciated so to speak.

Hrm that is a good point, if he ONLY uses a pen at school, the gift might not be one that's appreciated so to speak.

That's a good point.

Do people take notes with pen in college? I went through college taking notes with a mechanical pencil.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Buy him a stack of bic pens. From what you say he has no interest in pens what so ever. Like at my university some ( a very small amount) of people either use their laptops or tablets to take down notes, like someone else suggested, get him the relevant gift voucher to use on apps etc.

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

You guys have given me food for thought.

I might have to reconsider. Itunes gift card seems a little " I couldn't think what to get you so I got you a gift card " though. Mechanical pencil...never thought about that. There are a bunch of classy looking pencils out there.

As far as I am aware...no-one is "forced" to use a pen at school. My point was that he probably only uses one at school as he never writes a letter, preferring to email people instead. If he HAS to use one it might as well be something nice.

Thanks for the input folks

David

That's a good point.

Do people take notes with pen in college? I went through college taking notes with a mechanical pencil.

All of my classmates seem to use Pens, hardly ever see any of them writing notes with a pencil (too likely to rub off or get wet in all the snow and rain we get). Only time anyone on campus seems to use a pencil is if for a quiz or other type of test (so you can quickly erase and rewrite your answers, and the longevity is not as much a concern once it's in the professor's hands).

Buy him a stack of bic pens. From what you say he has no interest in pens what so ever. Like at my university some ( a very small amount) of people either use their laptops or tablets to take down notes, like someone else suggested, get him the relevant gift voucher to use on apps etc.

Ben

At my campus (GRCC) Most of the Professors are very adverse to technology, they don't allow laptops or tablets or phones to be out during class, even one was concerned bout being 'recorded', only way it seems to get around that is to get it included with disability accommodations.

You guys have given me food for thought.

I might have to reconsider. Itunes gift card seems a little " I couldn't think what to get you so I got you a gift card " though. Mechanical pencil...never thought about that. There are a bunch of classy looking pencils out there.

As far as I am aware...no-one is "forced" to use a pen at school. My point was that he probably only uses one at school as he never writes a letter, preferring to email people instead. If he HAS to use one it might as well be something nice.

Thanks for the input folks

David

Far as Mechanical Pencils go, TWSBI does make a few 0.5 and 0.7 ones like this that aren't that expensive ($25) but look nice.

http://www.gouletpens.com/TWSBI_Precision_Mechanical_Pencil_Silver_0_5mm_FP_p/tw-m7440830.htm

http://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/TW-M7440830-2.jpg

I know MontBlanc and such have one too, and Faber-Castell has these (for about $125, they also make some for around $30, and up to $150 for coconut wood):

"Propelling pencil Ondoro precious resin black"

post-111162-0-48394900-1398066451_thumb.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

I think the Parker Duofold Bp looks nice. However I've always been of the view with a fancy ballpoint pen you are essentially spending a lot of money on a fancy shell. As for example a Parker Jotter at a mere £5 uses the same refill a Parker Duofold that costs £150,

I think the Parker Duofold Bp looks nice. However I've always been of the view with a fancy ballpoint pen you are essentially spending a lot of money on a fancy shell. As for example a Parker Jotter at a mere £5 uses the same refill a Parker Duofold that costs £150,

How does the Jotter feel in the hand especially over hours of usage compared to the Duofold, as well as the durability, or is the Duofold just prettier?

All of my classmates seem to use Pens, hardly ever see any of them writing notes with a pencil (too likely to rub off or get wet in all the snow and rain we get). Only time anyone on campus seems to use a pencil is if for a quiz or other type of test (so you can quickly erase and rewrite your answers, and the longevity is not as much a concern once it's in the professor's hands).

The use of mechanical pencils prolly had more to do with the type of classes I took; they were mostly math and computer science type courses.

I had a Cross BP/pencil set decades ago. It was the ubiquitous one, made of metal with vertical lines (grooves) running down the length of the pen. I hated writing with it because I couldn't get a good grip. The pen was a slippery and my fingers would slowly slide down toward the tip.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

If you are dead-set on getting him a writing implement, look for a modestly priced pen and pencil set. Most of my classmates used pen for notes, but for tests that use a bubble sheet, a pencil is required.

I say modestly priced because someone who doesn't care about pens in general will either lose a gifted one or let it rot in a desk drawer because they are afraid to lose it. If you want something else in the same vein, maybe a nice pair of cuff links and a tie clip might be more useful for him?

I'm not sure if an expensive pen is a gift your son would appreciate. To a lot of people out there a pen is just a pen, and if your son can't care less about fountain pens then it will probably be the same for ballpoints. Also, for taking notes at college a $300 MB is simply not practical, except probably for showing off how rich he is to the few classmates who know what MB is. I'm sorry I can't think of a good suggestion right now, but I think a graduation gift should be something that will mean more to him.

Maybe I should just get him a gift card and let him buy what he wants!

Not a fan of gift cards but the consensus seems to be against a nice pen. He is not a tie clip/ cufflink sort of guy ( wish he was though ) and as I mentioned earlier, he already has a smartphone and ipad so that's out.

David