P51 Sac Protector Issue

Bemo

Hello,

I'm in the process of restoring a P51 aerometric circa 1949 according to the nib. The sac protector is the chrome plated version with the black plastic end and would seem to be of the right era as well. When I got the pen, the breather tube was broken and so was the section. I've installed a new stainless steel breather tube into the feed. Now we get to the problem. I can't get the sac protector to screw on to the new section. The section is a first generation version with the fine threads from a reputable dealer. There are no dents or dings in the sac protector. Any ideas? What am I missing?

Thanks

Edited by Bemo

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• pajaro

• Paul80

• Bemo

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure the sac protector you have is threaded? I have put a few back on that were a friction fit, and expert advice told me to use a slight amount of shellac on it at the joint. Yours might well be threaded, but I thought the chrome plated one that came off of one of my 51s was push-on. Sold the pen, so I can't check it. The other one I still have is a plum, and it didn't unscrew.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hi

The push on sac protectors can be really tight to get back on, I find a little dry heat to the connector helps soften the plastic just enough to allow the sac protector to be pushed fully home. I have done hundreds of P51's and never come across one with a threaded sac guard yet, I suspect that Parker didn't use them for very long or only used them on the models I don't Buy which is Mk1 Aerometric or Depending on whose book you read Mk2 Aerometric, in reality only the one with the black button on the sac protector.. Was the threaded sac protector only used on latter versions?

Paul

After 100s I'm surprised you have no encountered a threaded filler shroud. Likely you have had a few but since there is usually no reason to remove the shroud you didn't notice. The threaded version was the first style and always has the black button.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Hi

The push on sac protectors can be really tight to get back on, I find a little dry heat to the connector helps soften the plastic just enough to allow the sac protector to be pushed fully home. I have done hundreds of P51's and never come across one with a threaded sac guard yet, I suspect that Parker didn't use them for very long or only used them on the models I don't Buy which is Mk1 Aerometric or Depending on whose book you read Mk2 Aerometric, in reality only the one with the black button on the sac protector.. Was the threaded sac protector only used on latter versions?

Paul

US production of the Aero P51 commenced in early 1949 whereas UK production commenced in April 1950. This circa 1 year production gap likely resulted in few if any UK versions with the screw-on filler shroud. I suspect that you would have primarily worked on UK models noting your location?

US production of the Aero P51 commenced in early 1949 whereas UK production commenced in April 1950. This circa 1 year production gap likely resulted in few if any UK versions with the screw-on filler shroud. I suspect that you would have primarily worked on UK models noting your location?

Makes sense. The Pond is in the way!

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

It came off, it should screw on. You need to clean out the oxidation on the threads. A wire brush on a Dremel/flex shaft tool or a small piece of scratch pad held in tweezers should be enough. Apply some silicone grease to the threads in the sac guard. This does two things for you - lubricates the threads so that they screw on/off more easily and also provides a barrier to moisture/ink so to limit further corrosion.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Makes sense. The Pond is in the way!

There must have been some strong headwinds facing the sailing vessel.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

That could be the reason, I think almost all if not all the Aerometrics I have worked on have been of English Origin, unlike the Vacumatics that are about 50/50 American/English.

Paul

Hello,

I'm in the process of restoring a P51 aerometric circa 1949 according to the nib. The sac protector is the chrome plated version with the black plastic end and would seem to be of the right era as well. When I got the pen, the breather tube was broken and so was the section. I've installed a new stainless steel breather tube into the feed. Now we get to the problem. I can't get the sac protector to screw on to the new section. The section is a first generation version with the fine threads from a reputable dealer. There are no dents or dings in the sac protector. Any ideas? What am I missing?

Thanks

It depends on who the "Reputable Dealer" is.

I tried what you're talking about. It didn't work for me either (and I get paid to do this stuff to other people's pens!). Providentially, I was working on my own pen.

If you bought a "new" connector from "Pen Parts Store" the part won't work. These are made by Ariel Kullock, and while he is--by all accounts--one of the world's nicest people, this part is built wrong. The part is the length of the friction fit connector but the "friction pad" is threaded the entire way down. This is incorrect and it will work in neither the friction fit nor the threaded pens.

Take the original connector and put it next to the replacement. If the replacement is a good deal longer in the back end than the original, it's the wrong part.

If you find that the replacement part won't work. I have newly-made parts and vintage parts that will work with the threaded sac guard. Contact me through my website if you're interested.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

Thanks everyone for your help. And no it's not a Pen Parts Store part. I'll try cleaning the threads on the sac protector.