The Pen That Almost Got Away...

Seiry

This is a pen I saw at a show and wanted to get it. The gentleman who owned it lessened the price for me if I wanted to buy it. I decided to think about it while I looked around. Something came up and I was not able to get back to the show to get this pen.

I tried contacting some of the vendors who sat next to the gentleman but they could not answer my question. I nearly gave up and decided to ask people who attended the show. Luckily, one person was able to give me a name and way to contact this gentleman. Alas, the gentleman told me that he ended up selling this pen. I was SO bummed out. I sent him a thank you email for taking the time to talk to me and look through his collection to see if he still had the pen.

This morning, he calls me to tell me he doublechecked his collection and found that he put it in a different box and would still sell it to me. He honored the price he gave me at the show. The gentleman was so nice. ^_^

I just want to say thanks to Stan for the info you provided me about this particular pen. If it wasn't for your site, I wouldn't have known what this was when I first saw it. So, I thought I'd post pics of it here so you can see it.

Here is my Pilot Silvern with a paisley pattern! I am very lucky!!!! ^_^;;

post-99508-0-28607800-1398044193_thumb.jpg

post-99508-0-62993600-1398044332_thumb.jpg

post-99508-0-71592100-1398044386_thumb.jpg

post-99508-0-93784000-1398044486_thumb.jpg

post-99508-0-21078000-1398044622_thumb.jpg

post-99508-0-30569500-1398045286_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seiry

"Intelligence plus character – that is the true goal of education." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition." - Jacques Barzun

“Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.” ― Albert Einstein

“A good head and good heart are always a formidable combination. But when you add to that a literate tongue or pen, then you have something very special.” ― Nelson Mandela

“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” ― Aristotle

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seiry

• stan

• OcalaFlGuy

• daintydimsum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No one will ever be able to convince me that there Aren't those situations where a pen finds it's new owner despite what appear to be high odds to the contrary.

It's a beautiful thing when that One pen finds The One person who Really wants it.

Like here.

WooNHoo4U!

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

LOL Thanks Bruce. Someone kept telling me that from now on I need to listen to the same advice Mike from American Pickers keeps saying. Basically, if you see something unusual and never saw anything like it before, get it. :D

"Intelligence plus character – that is the true goal of education." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition." - Jacques Barzun

“Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.” ― Albert Einstein

“A good head and good heart are always a formidable combination. But when you add to that a literate tongue or pen, then you have something very special.” ― Nelson Mandela

“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” ― Aristotle

A beautiful pen. I too have never seen this pen before. I'm delighted that you were finally able to acquire it.

This is a pen I saw at a show and wanted to get it. The gentleman who owned it lessened the price for me if I wanted to buy it. I decided to think about it while I looked around. Something came up and I was not able to get back to the show to get this pen.

I tried contacting some of the vendors who sat next to the gentleman but they could not answer my question. I nearly gave up and decided to ask people who attended the show. Luckily, one person was able to give me a name and way to contact this gentleman. Alas, the gentleman told me that he ended up selling this pen. I was SO bummed out. I sent him a thank you email for taking the time to talk to me and look through his collection to see if he still had the pen.

This morning, he calls me to tell me he doublechecked his collection and found that he put it in a different box and would still sell it to me. He honored the price he gave me at the show. The gentleman was so nice. ^_^

I just want to say thanks to Stan for the info you provided me about this particular pen. If it wasn't for your site, I wouldn't have known what this was when I first saw it. So, I thought I'd post pics of it here so you can see it.

Here is my Pilot Silvern with a paisley pattern! I am very lucky!!!! ^_^;;

In Japanese, the design is called tsurukusa.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Thanks, Stan! ^_^

That's a beautiful pen!!!

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.". Matthew 4:19

Thank you all. I'll be sure to post some writing samples when I ink it. ^_^

The model is hard to find.

FWIW, it comes in black and red lacquer. The design is intended to be silver over the filled color.

In fifteen years, not counting books, I have now seen four of this model and all had black lacquer.

Outside of books, I have never seen one with red lacquer.

My pen has a SCRIPT nib. Another I saw had a MUSIC nib.

The lacquer might not be urushi as it comes off easily. This may be due to lack or proper surface preparation of the silver substrate.

IMHO, this design 'failure' has created an even better looking pen.

Always always always, if you've never seen it before and think you will never see one again, buy it.

That said, I cannot count the times when I have seen the same pen show up again a week later at a better price.

post-388-0-57419600-1398312989_thumb.jpg

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

In case anyone's wondering, 蔓草 means something like 'creeping vine'.

On the Hunt For:

1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)

2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator

3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

Thanks for the wonderful info. I will definitely remember that advice. LOL ^_^

The model is hard to find.

FWIW, it comes in black and red lacquer. The design is intended to be silver over the filled color.

In fifteen years, not counting books, I have now seen four of this model and all had black lacquer.

Outside of books, I have never seen one with red lacquer.

My pen has a SCRIPT nib. Another I saw had a MUSIC nib.

The lacquer might not be urushi as it comes off easily. This may be due to lack or proper surface preparation of the silver substrate.

IMHO, this design 'failure' has created an even better looking pen.

Always always always, if you've never seen it before and think you will never see one again, buy it.

That said, I cannot count the times when I have seen the same pen show up again a week later at a better price.