Kato Seisakusho Pen?

Guest Ray Cornett

Guest Ray Cornett

Kato Seisakusho Pen?

I was given this today by the friend I refurbished a couple pens for. No brand name or anything but the words "Special Irium Pen" on the nib which seems to be gold plated but the plating has worn off of most of the nib. No nipple for a sac and does not seem to be a cartridge pen......I'm lost.Kato Seisakusho evidently passed in 2010.I guess I need to now find out the filling system so I know what to do.

fpn_1397974431__2014-04-19_220923.jpg

fpn_1397974058__2014-04-19_223010.jpg

Edited by Ray Cornett

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tryphon

• hari317

• Freddy

• dbm

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

see if a platinum cartridge fits, the nipple looks like the ones used by Platinum/Nakaya.

How did you identify/guess that this might be a Kato pen?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Guest Ray Cornett

see if a platinum cartridge fits, the nipple looks like the ones used by Platinum/Nakaya.

How did you identify/guess that this might be a Kato pen?

Well I had seein his Masters of the Fountain Pen video on Youtube and seen some of his pens and it seemed to match the way he made some of his and there is also a wide golden band just on the inside of the cap which I believe he also did. But I originally came to the idea when I typed in what was on the nib and his name came up in many of the results. I could be wrong of course but it just looks a lot like one he would make. Also the nibs on Nakayas and Platinums seem to have more detailed design. This nib just says Special Iridium Pen which I thought his nibs said at one time.

Edited by Ray Cornett

Well I had seein his Masters of the Fountain Pen video on Youtube and seen some of his pens and it seemed to match the way he made some of his and there is also a wide golden band just on the inside of the cap which I believe he also did. But I originally came to the idea when I typed in what was on the nib and his name came up in many of the results. I could be wrong of course but it just looks a lot like one he would make. Also the nibs on Nakayas and Platinums seem to have more detailed design. This nib just says Special Iridium Pen which I thought his nibs said at one time.

Certainly not an nib from a modern Platinum or a Nakaya, but the nipple looks very similar. Worth trying to see if a Platinum cart would indeed fit.

or maybe wait for Stan to have a look.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Guest Ray Cornett

There is also this. Someone selling some of his pens mentions the nib inscription. I also saw the same nibs on VintagePens.com sold specifically as Japanese nibs.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/23808-hard-to-find-kato-seisakusho-pens/

I also happened to find an old condition looking pen on Ebay UK. An old listing, where the pen has a pen with the same inscription but in more of a cursive font.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-FOUNTAIN-PEN-NEW-CLIP-SPECIAL-IRIDIUM-PEN-/171032361186?nma=true&si=OT3axeE0eIK0UunMiEKtKA57deE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Ray Cornett

There were many Japanese pens with nib similarly inscribed. Kato used them too but will need to see a good photograph of the nib for comparison.

The feed looks like the ones he used but, then again, there are many variations.

He did not care so much about the nib as the plastic.

The band looks less expensive than what I recall. The one Kato pen I have is nice plastic but a different band.

This could be later production before he passed away. Don't know.

Kato used brass screws to hold down his top jewels. If possible (don't mess up your pen)see if you can unscrew the top jewel.

If it is brass, likely, it is a Kato. Brass screws cost more money than threaded plastic.

Overall, your pen looks like a Kato.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Guest Ray Cornett

There were many Japanese pens with nib similarly inscribed. Kato used them too but will need to see a good photograph of the nib for comparison.

The feed looks like the ones he used but, then again, there are many variations.

He did not care so much about the nib as the plastic.

The band looks less expensive than what I recall. The one Kato pen I have is nice plastic but a different band.

This could be later production before he passed away. Don't know.

Kato used brass screws to hold down his top jewels. If possible (don't mess up your pen)see if you can unscrew the top jewel.

If it is brass, likely, it is a Kato. Brass screws cost more money than threaded plastic.

Overall, your pen looks like a Kato.

It must not be one of Kato's then. Without taking the top off I can see it is not held on by a screw at all. Simple screwed on like the cap screws onto the barrel. If I look inside the cap I can see sealant was used on those threads, too. I will try to get a better shot of the nib but it is a plain font that just says "Special Iridium Pen".

Guest Ray Cornett

Here is a better pic of the nib and also a shot straight through the cap. No screw.

fpn_1398022264__2014-04-20_122830.jpg

fpn_1398022383__2014-04-20_115128.jpg

Edited by Ray Cornett

I have a very comprehensive collection of Kato pens (I think I have all the models in almost all the patterns) and your pen does not match any of mine.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

Guest Ray Cornett

I wish I could find the link now but I did also read somewhere that when he passed someone else ended up with his parts and made their own pens to sell.

fpn_1398033537__2014-04-20_153417.jpg

They also made them for the German market..

piston fillers with 585 Degussa nibs..same HR feed..

and of course that lovely celluloid.

fpn_1398036049__degussa.jpg

Fred

Excuse the ubiquitous dreaded double post...

Fred

Edited by Freddy

He used different feeds and even used Schmidt nibs on some of his pens. Incidentally, some people say that he did not use many gold nibs: my experience is different: most of my Kato pens have wonderful 14K gold nibs.

In punta di penna.....

Yes, the metal finish on many of these artisan-made Japanese pens is not of the highest quality. That is unfortunate, for the pens are usually very nice. Of all the celluloid pen makers, my favorite is Yamazaki, the man who made the Columbus Accademia pens. Their finish and metal parts were of a higher standard.

In punta di penna.....

Though my Kato-san pen has a gold nib but the feeder looks the same.

post-10737-0-18675200-1398071380_thumb.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg241/pensforfun/ultraman.jpg