What Does Your Family / Friends Think Of Your Fountain Pen Hobby?

The Blue Knight

Do your family / friends think it's normal fountain pen collecting / what do they think of it? I simply find the mixed views of when I tell them how I like fountain pens interesting.

So what have other people found?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• Scrawler

• FloatingFountain

• MissChief

My wife just doesn't get the hobby of collecting (any items, not just FP). She keeps asking me "How many fountain pens do you need to write with?". And she doesn't even like writing with a FP! Horrible :yikes:

Dan

Probably in this way... I sold one of my pens to a classmate last month, took a picture on facebook labeled 'another convert'... Apparently I'm like a drug dealer with pens, or so my mother thinks so (Terry), as does my professor (Rowan)... so yea...

fpn_1397952339__penpusher.jpg

While not quite like KBeezie and pushing them, I've gotten my family involved as avid users of fountain pens.

My wife has a Pilot VP as her EDC and typically reaches for one of my inked Parker "51s" when looking for something to write with in the house. My kids have a growing collection of Platinum (Prera, Preppy, and a new #3776), Lamy (Safari and Al-Star), and Sheaffer (330). Some of the kids have their "own" inks--Montblanc Black, Noodler's African Violet & Heart of Darkness. Their favorites tend to be Iroshizuku inks, though.

People at work know that I really like "fine writing devices," and they respect that I enjoy a good pen when jotting notes, signing official documents, or working through difficult problems on pen and paper.

Lots of room for growth, even in the digital age. There's something personal about a fountain pen and the ink of your choice. So much more so than everyone looking at their iOS device or Android--they all are roughly the same. Show me a Preppy with BSB or a "51" with Iroshizuku Asa Gao--you've got a difference!

Buzz

My family doesn't get it but doesn't think much of it. My boyfriend gets it a bit, seeing as he has a Parker 45 and a few others cheaper fountain pens. My friends think I've lost my mind because they see me use pens that cost one or two hundred dollars. I guess it's pretty mixed overall. I've noticed most people just don't seem to understand why anyone would want to spend more than a few dollars on a writing instrument.

Edited by discopig

Guest Ray Cornett

I personally wonder why it is called a hobby. In my case anyway. I might collect them but I use them. I don't buy them to sit them on a shelf to look at. I'd go insane having something functional just sit there,lol. On the other hand my family loves it. My parents used them in school and my sisters have a taste for vintage just like I do and they love reading and writing so they really get it. My fiance loves them but has yet to find one she likes.

Edited by Ray Cornett

My wife referred to my "500 fountain pens"...a gross exaggeration, revealing a lack of understanding and unspoken disdain...

My husband treated it with tolerance when I was first starting and then fell in love with a Jinhao while looking over my shoulder at eBay listings. Then, when it came in and I adjusted the nib properly for him, it didn't take long for him to start finding others that he needed. A few weeks ago he decided that the skylines with the gold filled cap are just about the most beautiful things on Earth, and hadn't I said something about wanting to start restoring vintage pens (which I had)? Where could he get me the tools and some test subjects? I've also got my kids thoroughly indoctrinated.

Yet another Sarah.

Family and friends tolerate my obsession -- I find a convert once in a while -- not easy

Like any of my hobbies, I do NOT tell everything.

They only know what I choose to let them know.

I tell them it is a collection like any other collection; coins, stamps, tea cups, etc.

My sister-in-law is into calligraphy, so she understands that side of it.

My wife, almost encourages it.

She is going with me to the San Francisco Pen Show in Aug.

Although it might be to control my spending.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Fascinating.....

Fred

why couldn't I have Meryl's patrician nose or Yale education?

.....Diane Keaton.....do you see benz.....could be.....

My 9 yr old was asking about FPs, so I showed her mine and let her try it out. I got her her very own FP, gave it to her last Sunday and she brought it along with us on our vacation in Philly. She wrote with it during the trip and even used it to write several postcards. She keeps telling me that she loves writing with the FP; I think she is trying to hint that se wouldn't mind having another. :) Hubby was never interested in FPs and doesn't care to write with them. He knows I like using them. Everything is good as long as he doesn't start asking me how much stuff costs. ;)

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

My family thinks my pens are a total waste of my time and money.

As long as it is my time and money, and I'm not asking them for either, and I'm not talking about it all, life is fine.

My friends think I'm eccentric and/or weird. Life goes on.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

They think it's a total waste of time and money. Too luxurious and unnecessary.

But my gf buys LV and Gucci bags and accessories. Double standard I say!

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)

My family thinks my pens are a total waste of my time and money.

As long as it is my time and money, and I'm not asking them for either, and I'm not talking about it all, life is fine.

My friends think I'm eccentric and/or weird. Life goes on.

It's kind of like how my family doesn't see much a problem with me spending a decent amount of money on my photography gear... only because I've made money with it as a photographer.

So like with the pens, every so often I may have to say I restored and selling a pen, otherwise I might get some slack from extended family about how they're a waste of money.

They think it's a total waste of time and money. Too luxurious and unnecessary.

But my gf buys LV and Gucci bags and accessories. Double standard I say!

My ex was buying bento boxes in mass excess probably at the same price I'd pay for cheaper chinese pens... yet my boys only really need one bento box per (and she's buying more for herself anyways), so in regards to double standards, I say 'hear hear!' :P
Edited by KBeezie

My wife thinks it's a bit crazy, but doesn't mind as long as it doesn't cost too much money. My parents think it's neat because they remember them from when they were young. (I was showing my father my new-to-me OS Sheaffer Balance and seeking out about the vac-fill system. When I go to the part about it having a vacuum in the barrel he was like, 'yeah, I know.')