New Lamy 2000

TonyTeaBags

Hello, Everyone.

Many new posts about a particular new pen complain about something or another... scratchy nib, poor ink flow, etc. So, I thought to counter those negatives with my new Lamy 2000 experience. What a great pen!

I bought it from the Goulet Pen Company, and they are very good people to deal with. Along with the pen, I bought a bottle of Rohrer and Klingner Verdigris.

When I got the pen, I immediately disassembled it to clean it thoroughly. I soaked the nib in cool water with a drop or two of dish soap. I took the piston out and cleaned the barrel. I rinsed the nib, shook it dry in paper towels, siliconed the gaskets, and re-assembled the pen. The nib tines were aligned perfectly; no issues there. All working as advertised.

I inked the pen with the Verdigris, and experienced a match made in Heaven. Sweet! The perfect pen-ink combination. Good flow, the nib has great character, and the color of the ink has a quality that keeps you marveling at its subtle gravitas.

No negatives. It fits my hand well. The hooded nib and piston filling mechanism provides, for me, some nostalgia, and the Balhaus design provides a futuristic design that is eternal. And, I even like the color.

My new Lamy will never replace my modern Aurora 88; that is my favorite pen, and, for my money, the best pen made. I use it every day. But I have to tell you, I really like this new Lamy 2000.

Edited by TonyTeaBags

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TonyTeaBags

• MBFan

• WilsonCQB1911

• Ink Blotto

I just got one too, and have no complaints so far. I just flushed mine with distilled water 2 or 3 times, waited a while for it to dry, and loaded it with ink. I got some silicone grease just in case, but the piston felt smooth, so I decided to leave well enough alone. It is my nicest pen to date, so I would be dejected to do without it.

Glad yours is a keeper too.

Paul

Ha! I just got on in fine yesterday. No issues. Smooth piston on mine. I've heard people say that the sweet spot is small, which is usually a problem for me, but if haven't seen it on this pen. Mine was writing a bit dry, but is getting wetter and smoother the more I write mice read that this normal. I like the pen. I think it has earned a permanent place in my stable, which isn't easy. I keep a very small quantity of pens, and only if the are excellent users. But it's too early yet to really say.

So far, MB149, Visconti HS, Conway Stewart Churchill, and pilot Mteropolitan are all in the inner circle. Everything else has been sold.

I am thinking of getting a Lamy 2000. But it seems for everyone that has praise, someone else has had some significant problems. Some nibs are misaligned, some have the sections breaking at the threads. Others have the most perfect pen money can buy. It makes me wonder if there are quality control issues at the factory.

Jack

I am thinking of getting a Lamy 2000. But it seems for everyone that has praise, someone else has had some significant problems. Some nibs are misaligned, some have the sections breaking at the threads. Others have the most perfect pen money can buy. It makes me wonder if there are quality control issues at the factory.Jack

Hello, Jack.

That is my point. Many times, a person is satisfied with a new pen, even happy to own it, but is miffed by something or another. So, it is the miffed part they write about.

Look, I have a Bexley Corona. It's a great pen, and I'm happy to use it. When I first got it, it skipped and leaked. How about that? There were some complaints about the fairly common occurrences, too. But, what a beautiful pen! The Bexley company has an excellent reputation, so I bought the pen. I had to send it back twice, once to repair the leak and replace the nib, and once to correct the new nib. Yes, I knew there might be problems, but they were really nothing to worry about, in some ways, this is part of the hobby.

I have some very expensive, high end pens. My modern Aurora 88 was perfect from the box, but my Aurora Talentum skipped and starved. I sent it back twice to the seller, and in frustration, refused to send it back the third time. Instead of sending it back to Italy, I sent it to Mike Masuyama. The Talentum is now a dream to write with, and one of my favorite pens.

Lamy has been making pens for a long time. I would guess that they know what they're doing, just like Aurora. The 2000 has been made since 1966. How many do you think they made? Every once in a while, there will be a bad one. So, you send it back, they make it right, and you have the pen of your dreams. Why cheat yourself of one of life's simple pleasures because of a few lemons when thousands of successful pens were made and still going strong? Buy what you like.

As far as my Lamy 2000 goes, it is in my pocket as I post this, and I am glad that I bought it.

Tony