#1 Ed333

Ed333

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 14:10

I see that MicroMark has a 20x lighted jewelers loupe.  Would this be overkill for examining nibs, barrel imprints, etc?  My aging eyes are starting to have problems with close focus, and need a lot of light on small subjects.

#2 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 14:29

I generally use a 40x loop for nib examination which I keep it with my collection as it is a useful too in ensuring tine alignment. I've looked at brand new fresh out the box pens under it and horrifyingly enough you can see micro-scratches on the fittings. I like 40x but I'm sure 20x will do the job fine. Mine is only a cheap chinese one off ebay which I think cost cost me £3-£4 ad it does the job perfectly.

#3 yamaha_no_46

yamaha_no_46

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 16:11

20x even 10x loupe is just fine. 40x will require a very steady hand to keep the image non-distorted. Cheap loupes do not provide enough clarity due to cheap lenses. You may consider quality loupes produced by Bausch & Lomb, Carl Zeiss  etc. with better lenses and maximum image clarity. They may look expensive ( 30-40 USD each) but better tools provide better results and you will invest in them once in a lifetime.

#4 yamaha_no_46

yamaha_no_46

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 16:19

You may also consider watchmaker loupes which will let both of your hands free during repair or examination.

#5 proton007

proton007

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:14

I have a 10x B&L loupe, and the focal length is rather short. The nib needs to be held with a steady hand.

Soon I'll have the courage
To leave my thoughts behind
I'll give back all the knowledge
And keep the wisdom precious in my mind