• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• KBeezie

• mhguda

• ac12

My favourite cheapies are Pilot 78Gs. I find them very reliable.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Mine is a Baoer 388.

However, the nibs had to be adjusted to get the ink to flow properly. ( - ) But once adjusted it is a nice writer. ( + )

The pen balances well in the hand ( + )

The other issue is these pens are only available in Chinese F and M. The M is like an old Parker F or a Lamy XF. So they are definitely on the thin side.

I bought 7 for $25, shipped. So $3.57 each. ( + )

At that price it makes nice gifts or give-aways.

Runner up is the Pilot 78G, $12.

The M nib is nice and smooth writing. ( + )

It is available in more nib options (F, M and B ) than the Baoer 388 (F,M) ( + )

The uses Pilot proprietary cartridge. ( - )

It is runner up only because the Baoer 388 is so much cheaper, when purchased in quantity. If you only buy ONE 388, then the gap narrows as the price difference gets smaller.

2nd runner up is the Baoer 801.

The M nib is a bit finer than the 388, so not as easy to use on less than smooth paper. ( - )

When capped, the balance is more toward the end of the pen, than the 388 which balances well. ( - )

However, all the 801 that I looked at, will flow ink w/o needing to adjust the nib. ( + )

6 for $20, shipped ($3.33 each) ( + )

So like the quantity purchase price of the 388, it makes a good gift or give-away pen.

3rd runner up, Pilot Metro, $15

Very smooth writer ( + )

Currently only available in a Japanese M ( - ). However soon to be available in a Japanese F.

It is more bulky so not well suited for my small hand ( - )

The US version the Metropolitan uses Pilot proprietary cartridge, the non-US version the MR uses the international cartridge. ( - )

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Mine is a Baoer 388.

However, the nibs had to be adjusted to get the ink to flow properly. ( - ) But once adjusted it is a nice writer. ( + )

The pen balances well in the hand ( + )

The other issue is these pens are only available in Chinese F and M. The M is like an old Parker F or a Lamy XF. So they are definitely on the thin side.

I bought 7 for $25, shipped. So $3.57 each. ( + )

At that price it makes nice gifts or give-aways.

Runner up is the Pilot 78G, $12.

The M nib is nice and smooth writing. ( + )

It is available in more nib options (F, M and B ) than the Baoer 388 (F,M) ( + )

The uses Pilot proprietary cartridge. ( - )

It is runner up only because the Baoer 388 is so much cheaper, when purchased in quantity. If you only buy ONE 388, then the gap narrows as the price difference gets smaller.

2nd runner up is the Baoer 801.

The M nib is a bit finer than the 388, so not as easy to use on less than smooth paper. ( - )

When capped, the balance is more toward the end of the pen, than the 388 which balances well. ( - )

However, all the 801 that I looked at, will flow ink w/o needing to adjust the nib. ( + )

6 for $20, shipped ($3.33 each) ( + )

So like the quantity purchase price of the 388, it makes a good gift or give-away pen.

3rd runner up, Pilot Metro, $15

Very smooth writer ( + )

Currently only available in a Japanese M ( - ). However soon to be available in a Japanese F.

It is more bulky so not well suited for my small hand ( - )

The US version the Metropolitan uses Pilot proprietary cartridge, the non-US version the MR uses the international cartridge. ( - )

Though as an odd Tidbit the MRs in the Asian market still use proprietary cartridges, seems it's mainly the European MR that does not.

(also the MR/Metro can take the nib from the 78G and Plumix, it can also take the section and feed from the 78G)

I love my Platinum Preppies, great pens to play with, and I have given a few away to friends (I need to re-stock my give-aways soon). I also love my Nemosines - so far they've been great out of the box. The Platinum Plaisir is no slouch either, or the Pilot Crystal. All of them under 25 bucks, with the Preppy being the least expensive - 4 bucks and another 1.50 to turn it into an ED.

I used to keep a 78G inked until my Platinum 3776 replaced it (too many pens, one of my 78G was given to my GF and the rest to serve as spare parts in case she broke something).

I only bought Hero 360 because I couldn't get a Sailor Trident. (I have yet to find a chinese pen that doesn't look like a cheap clone, like made with their own creativity)

I use a Pilot Varsity nib into a Preppy to get a nice cheap demonstrator pen. Gonna make it into a clear barrel maki-e like one some day.

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)

My EDC is a Sailor Recruit I bought for $15. Probably my favorite pen I own, but I tend to like slim pens. I also have a Jinhao Accountant I bought for $10. I find my self using it a lot because it has one of the smoothest nibs I have ever put to paper.

I'm currently looking for a cheapie pen as my new EDC, so I ordered a few different ones to try out. The Lamy Safari arrived first so I've been carrying this one around during the past week and really enjoy writing with it. It's easy to tuck into a purse or bag and I love not having to worry about losing it because they are ubiquitous and easy to replace. I can deal with a $20-30 replacement pen. The old EDC that I'm replacing isn't the nicest pen out there, but it is no longer in production and thus not as easy to replace if I happen to lose it, so I decided it would be best to keep that one safe at home. The only thing I'd prefer out of the Safari is a finer nib. The one I got was an F, and it's nice but I'd like to write a thinner line. I'm thinking about ordering a Lamy Al-Star with an EF nib. I'm just trying to decide between the new bluegreen (which looks really nice in someone's photo on one of the other threads) or the purple (which is my favorite color).

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I like the word "peniacs" :D

My EDCs are a black and burgundy Frontier ( $10 on sale) and a Picasso Montmatre ( $12). Usually got a Baoer 3040 or a Hero 388 inked up and placed on my desk - both are very good writers after a little smoothing. Cheapies are nice!

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

My cheapies - Lamy Safari/Al-Star -a couple write spectacularly while some of mine write mediocre, Pilot Metro - always dependable, Pilot Varsity - again, it never fails, Schaeffer Prelude - nice pen and feels good in my hand, Pilot Kakuno - again, another Pilot that never lets me down. Looking back over my list, I guess Pilot wins the cheapie contest in my book. My favorite non fountain pen is the G2 by Pilot. I've also got some of the expensive Pilots on my wish list.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

We'll the cheapest pen I had was a minded handy bought for 12rupees or 20 cents a piece, a sheaffer no nonsense for 4 usd and the indian pens this was till I discovered fpn

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

As I stated before, I love cheapies because that's how I got started and that's how I got to try different types of fountain pen filler mechanisms and nibs, until I finally found what fit me best.

But I will confess, my current cheapie is $100+. :yikes:

Perhaps it's time I paid Ebay a visit and got me some actual cheapies. It's been a while.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Cheapies are great. I force myself to cycle through mine, mostly, but I use an Hero 616 to grade essays and keep one inked whenever classes are in session. Right now I also have a Bookworm, an Airmail, and a Laniboutu inked. They cost 8, 9, and 6 dollars respectively.

Yet another Sarah.

• 3 weeks later...

My EDC is fairly low cost Parker Frontier GT (£13 or 1300 rupees (realised a few indian people have posted)). However I'm not really that happy carrying it around as if I was to loose it I would be pretty annoyed. But it's the best lower cost pen I have found so maybe a more basic version would make more sense for my EDC.

I don't buy too many cheap pens anymore as I find them a little boring and don't offer anything new to my collection.

But I may buy this as it seems a fair price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Platignum-Number-Fountain-Gift-Boxed/dp/B001MU9ZQW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1399799007&sr=8-5&keywords=platignum+fountain+pen

I have a few cheapies that I always keep inked and ready, but I find that I hardly ever use them.

They are:

Smiggle fountain pen (AU$3)

Pierre Cardin 'Ikon' (AU$10)

Reform 1745 (~AU$7)

Hero 612 (~AU$8)

I have a few Jinhaos too, I got them writing nicely with some tweaking but I don't like their weight and feel.

My favorite cheepie is the Platinum Preppy. It costs less the $4.00 US. Buy two or three and hand them out to friends.

It was my first FP and I really liked it with the convertor. Unfortunately I lost it in the fields one day.

Am I the only one who sees a slight and appealing stubbish line from the .05 Preppy?

I'm making story notes just now in an India paper comp book, with an ink refill of Diamine Denim. Looks pretty cool.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I'm really like the Preppy's too although I find the nibs usually need quite a bit of smoothing to make them nice to use.