Parker 45 Section And Barrel

halpen9950

Hey everybody hope you're all well-

I have a nice 45 Flighter that has developed a barrel tightening issue.

When attempting to tighten the barrel after filling no resistence is met

and is then difficult to undo. Is the plastic barrel thread removable..

could it be stripped somehow? I pretty careful with my stuff and don't

tighten anything except car lug nuts beyond the point of resistance. This

is a really nice pen that I hope I can save...Ideas or solutions??
Thx in advance

Hal

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• halpen9950

• OcalaFlGuy

• Sasha Royale

Top Posters In This Topic

PATIENCE ! ! !

The plastic barrel of a Parker 45 is internally threaded to fit the threads of the section. The metal Flighter

barrel has a threaded insert. My insert is plastic. Sounds like your insert has come loose.

My suggestion >> Discontinue use ASAP. Redirect this problem to the Repair sub-forum for suggestions.

This should not be a serious problem, as long as the insert doesn't get pushed back into the barrel, and

nothing gets broken.

Hang in there.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Ok, this had me curious enough to look at my 2 Flighters. My Gold ended one was a little dirty in the barrel so after a quick glance, to my NOS all Stainless 70's UK Flighter.

First the threads in the barrel are a brass piece and it fits up against a plastic barrel insert under it. So there is essentially 0 chance of the threaded portion dropping into the barrel.

Hal, have someone hold an eye of god LED light for you into your barrel. Stick your or hers little finger in the and diddle with that brass threaded insert.

See if you can get it to turn, I suspect it will. Is there any fore or aft lateral movement in the brass part AT ALL?

What I am unclear on is what is holding the threaded portion in on the Front edge of the cap. I've searched on-line and looked very closely at it and I Can't Tell if there is a micro lip/edge holding the brass section in or if it's glued in. If you can get the threaded part out without buggering it up, I'd use 3 or 4 dots of 2 part epoxy on it and put it back in.

If there is indeed a lip/edge the thread part fits against at the very front edge, that's pro territory so far as I know.

If your Flighter barrel has an endcap you May be able to take it off, take out the plastic insert and get the threads out that way but I'm not totally sure about the end caps coming off.

Damn good question. Hopefully someone knows the couple important answers I don't.

I would tend to not use it either but for the reason that you may not be able to get the section OUT if the thread area breaks completely free of the barrel. I don't think the brass threads Can drop down into the barrel.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Thx Bruce for your good thoughts. I'm with you on someone has the answer.

I can tell you're better than fair on a lot of repairs but this is a baffling issue.

Hopefully we'll get it worked out. If not I'll speak to my #1 pro. He's really

good and I'm pretty sure he'll have some kind of solution. Take good care and

Happy Writing!!

Hal

Bruce-

The bright light showed me at least a temporary fix. While looking

down in the barrel under the light I decided to take off the end piece

and found out it's attached to the whole assembly. It's still questionable

as to whether or not the end piece is removable, but it sure tighted the

whole thing correctly by turning the end piece clockwise. The end piece

is not just gingerbread!

Thx again for your interest and help!!

Hal

Hal, I tried with just my bare fingers to get the gold end off my 60's USA pen barrel and it didn't appear to want to budge.

[EDIT] Here is a post that shows that indeed the end piece does unscrew. I DON'T know why he isn't showing the brass thread insert.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/260649-parker-45-flighter-stripped-down/

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Hi again Bruce-

As you probably know Parker had a number of variations to their models as they progressed,

but what I think after viewing the great pics you sent, at some point it failed and was glued??

Anyway I hope my guy Aaron can fix it properly. It just sounds and feels pretty involved

and you know what that means but we have to care for the herd don't we.

Again thanks for the interest and help, hope I can return the favor some way.

Reagrds

Hal

Hal, If you will relay back to me How Aaron fixes it, *I* will be the one who is appreciative.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl