Is There An Ea Group Here?

kidde

Hi, I'm Paul, and I'm an Estiholic. It has been two months since I bought my last Estie.

So, I thought fp were addictive. Those darned Esterbrook pens and nibs are something else. No offense intended but Esties are like the old aircooled VW Bugs. No parts that can't be fixed or replaced. Easy service, quick filling and built by a company that seemed to really care about the customer.

I realize how blind I was toward what amounts to a nearly perfect pen, for me.

The old/noob has a question; where should I look for a "J" skunk, the BELL SYSTEMS one. I have some I'd be willing to trade. I want a very clean example. If you are interested as to why it is really simple. My sir name is BELL and I have collected all sorts of Bell and bells. Please lead me in a safe direction. Thanks for the help.

Paul

Edited by kidde

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• FarmBoy

• OcalaFlGuy

• kidde

"Esterbrooks; The Crack Cocaine of Vintage Fountain Pens. It costs so little to get so hooked!"

Contest%2520021-2.jpg

Contest%2520025-2.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Hello! My name is Frank, and I am an addict..........

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Really like your style of writing. Nice pics/pen as well :D

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

I tended to get hooked on the ones that aren't lever fillers, only because the levers tend to get under my fingernail. The J series are almost fun to work on, though. New nibs also don't tend to cost $129.00. You can make of the pen what you want it to be. A lot of other pens cost waaaaaaaaaaay too much or making it like you want it requires all the rigmarole associated with nibmeisters. Not so much these pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I would be an estiholic, but my family have saved me by lifting all but one from my possession. I must buy more and see if I can hide them away.

I would be an estiholic, but my family have saved me by lifting all but one from my possession. I must buy more and see if I can hide them away.

I envy you. My wife has no interest in fountain pens. I get to hoard them all. Sometimes I feel like Silas Marner.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Esterbrooks are Methadone for 51s

No it doesn't work.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Parker Crystal Meth. Direct competition to Estie Crack Rock.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

So where do 45s fit in the scheme with Esterbrooks?

I'd say 45 is 6 less than 51. I do not go for them unless they are hard rubber and wrapped in exotic materials and metal, at which point they tend to be multiples of 51.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I have one 45 with a 14K med nib. Bought it NOS from Parkville Pens. I have inked it a few times. It's not bad, but it's possibly the Esterbrook of Parkerdom, good and reasonably priced. I think Parker made two quite good pens, the 51 and the 75. Esterbrook made a lot of good pens, and you can take all those Sonnet nibs that won't flow ink in a Sonnet and find they work in an Esterbrook collar and with an Esterbrook feed. So, who made a better pen?

I tend to be critical of Esterbrook nibs, but for the money what more could you ask for, and the whole system works and tomorrow you can uncap it and it will write. Thank God for those modern pens that make you appreciate a good vintage pen when you have one.

I am not an estiholic . . . and God didn't make little green apples and it doesn't snow in Indianapolis in the winter time . . . (with apologies to Roger Miller).

Comfortable here in my denial,

David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I have QUIT FOR GOOD!

Many times.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

I have QUIT FOR GOOD!

Many times.

Practice does make one perfect..

Wait... The first step would be admitting I have an Estie-problem. I am not an Estieholic hehe.

@arts_nibs

I am not pen-addicted. I don't obsess over pens. I am not an Estieholic, not an Estiemaniac.

Sounds like my father. "I am not an alcoholic." "That ranting you recorded is not me." " . . .er . . .er . . ."

The old/noob has a question; where should I look for a "J" skunk, the BELL SYSTEMS one. I have some I'd be willing to trade. I want a very clean example. If you are interested as to why it is really simple. My sir name is BELL and I have collected all sorts of Bell and bells. Please lead me in a safe direction. Thanks for the help.

Just to be clear, did you want to trade a "not so very clean" skink ... er, skunk for very clean one?

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

I have a blue dollar pen. J's in green, red, grey and black. Along with a nib or six. I have a NOS 2048 in box with five various others. Hopefully I could trade a green w/extra nib for a Bell Systems skunk. May just be wishful thinks ng.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn