Penmanship For A Beginner

TheModernGent

I want to improve my penmanship by possibly learning a script or style of writing which doesn't require a flex nib, but is very nice/sophisticated looking. Is there anything out there that fits this criteria and is good for a left handed extreme beginner :)?

Appreciate your help in advance

-TMG

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheModernGent

• fiberdrunk

• patrickfp

• Tasmith

thanks, would it be possible to see a writing sample so i can see what it looks like?

Google is your friend.

I'll also recommend Palmer or Zanerian.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I second the cursive italic. I like Getty-Dubay's italic materials. Here's a basic sample from their website:

http://www.handwritingsuccess.com/images/footer_blackboard.jpg

This is just monoline. If you use an italic (broad-edged) nib, it really ramps it up nice:

http://www.handwritingsuccess.com/images/il_abcde_500.jpg

You can download their model alphabet here, same one found in their books. Another sample from their website, written with some variations:

http://www.handwritingsuccess.com/images/page-seven.jpg

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

One more bit of inspiration from Getty & Dubay:

http://www.handwritingsuccess.com/images/page-six.jpg

I concur with one of their recommendations. Write every day, at least 1 page.

When I started working on my handwriting it was minimum 30 minutes a day, and usually 1 hour.

What you are trying to do is to retrain your arm and hand muscles to write as you want them to. And the only way is enough practice so your muscles get used to doing that.

There is an old saying in another hobby of mine..."fast is slow."

What that means is you develop your handwriting slowly, do NOT try to write fast. Use a nice even pace so you can control your hand.

But not too slow. You are writing, not drawing.

As your muscles get used to the new way of writing, going faster will come automatically, because your muscles know what to do.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I second the cursive italic. I like Getty-Dubay's italic materials. Here's a basic sample from their website:

http://www.handwritingsuccess.com/images/footer_blackboard.jpg

This is just monoline. If you use an italic (broad-edged) nib, it really ramps it up nice:

http://www.handwritingsuccess.com/images/il_abcde_500.jpg

You can download their model alphabet here, same one found in their books. Another sample from their website, written with some variations:

http://www.handwritingsuccess.com/images/page-seven.jpg

Thank you so much!!

When I started working on my handwriting it was minimum 30 minutes a day, and usually 1 hour.

What you are trying to do is to retrain your arm and hand muscles to write as you want them to. And the only way is enough practice so your muscles get used to doing that.

There is an old saying in another hobby of mine..."fast is slow."

What that means is you develop your handwriting slowly, do NOT try to write fast. Use a nice even pace so you can control your hand.

But not too slow. You are writing, not drawing.

As your muscles get used to the new way of writing, going faster will come automatically, because your muscles know what to do.

I plan on practicing a lot. Tyvm for your post it's very helpful :)

I practice every day while having my second mug of coffee. Today it was 2 pages of Spencerian majuscules, the letters A, E, S, and T.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Two things i seem to keep changing (mainly after watching youtube videos of others) is the angle i hold my pen at between my finger and thumb (left to right rather than up and down) and also the nib orientation when compared with the lines on the page (again flat, but left to right rather than rolling).

Oh and along with those two, the angle i have my paper at and its position in the centre or way off to the right.

My handwriting generally seems ok and always improving but i never truly know if im doing something slightly wrong, and in some ways worry im putting too much pressure on the right side of the nib vs the left side... Hence all this angling the nib to the left more, that most people seem to do naturally, rather than a nib thats flat but totally perpendicular to the lines.

Any advice would be great! Even if its just 'stop being an idiot and just write normally'

:)

Edited by Kyburo

Go-to-pen: Custom74/Twsbi 580

Definitely use a nice pen on heavy paper. If you use a nice pen on cheap paper, it's going to feather and bleed and you'll not like the results and probably won't want to keep it up. And yes, write slowly, concentrating on the flow and the angles and the height of each letter. Also, take a page and practice writing each letter over and over and over until they all look the same, both upper and lower case.

I've been at it for a month or so and after writing slower and concentrating, I can see a dramatic increase in the quality of the chicken scratch. At first, the chicken feet were going a mile a minute and looked like I was a doctor doing a prescription for someone. Now it's much better.

Thanks so much for all the great advice!

Is there a certain kind of ruling for paper which would help me to produce more consistent results in terms of letter sizing (lined, dot, grid ect)

I would also recommend cursive italic. I am by no means an expert, but based on my own experience, this is what I would recommend:

Don't buy an expensive italic (wide nib) pen at first. This is because you don't know what size works best for you. I would highly suggest the Manuscript pen. Even if I love my custom nibs from Richard Binder, I wish I had gone the Manuscript way first. Also, avoid the Lamy Safari "italic" nib because they are not "sharp" enough for lack of better words.

Get yourself some good paper like Clairefontaine Triomphe which is relative cheap but very good. The lined version of the paper is better. The lines will act as wonderful guides specially at the beginning.

Then you will be set and will only need to practice EVERY DAY for maybe 30 minutes per day. YOU WILL BE FRUSTRATED many times at the beginning and will maybe wonder how on earth you'll be able to create beautitful cursive italic letters. But if you persevere, you'll be rewarded.

In terms of aid, I HIGHLY recommend the book and videos from Lloyd Reynolds, and "Italic Handwriting" by Tom Gourdie. The Tom Gourdie's book has a very special place in my heart. It was my first book and also the one which got me on my way.

Forgot to say: There were times when I was very frustrated because my italic letters were not identical to the models I was using. That was until I realised that there will be some differences because each person is unique, and will have a different handwriting regardless of the style.

Edited by patrickfp

Thanks so much for all the great advice!

Is there a certain kind of ruling for paper which would help me to produce more consistent results in terms of letter sizing (lined, dot, grid ect)

Again, Getty & Dubay to the rescue! Here's a list of .pdf files for different sized ruled sheets, from child-sized to adult for their various books. Generally you start practicing large, then work your way down to the smallest size.

Edited by fiberdrunk

In terms of aid, I HIGHLY recommend the book and videos from Lloyd Reynolds, and "Italic Handwriting" by Tom Gourdie. The Tom Gourdie's book has a very special place in my heart. It was my first book and also the one which got me on my way.

There are some online resources for Gourdie and Reynolds, too:

And here are some resources just for lefties (I'm one, too):

Edited by fiberdrunk

There are some online resources for Gourdie and Reynolds, too:

And here are some resources just for lefties (I'm one, too):

This is PERFECT!! Thank you so much :)

I would also recommend cursive italic. I am by no means an expert, but based on my own experience, this is what I would recommend:

Don't buy an expensive italic (wide nib) pen at first. This is because you don't know what size works best for you. I would highly suggest the Manuscript pen. Even if I love my custom nibs from Richard Binder, I wish I had gone the Manuscript way first. Also, avoid the Lamy Safari "italic" nib because they are not "sharp" enough for lack of better words.

Get yourself some good paper like Clairefontaine Triomphe which is relative cheap but very good. The lined version of the paper is better. The lines will act as wonderful guides specially at the beginning.

Then you will be set and will only need to practice EVERY DAY for maybe 30 minutes per day. YOU WILL BE FRUSTRATED many times at the beginning and will maybe wonder how on earth you'll be able to create beautitful cursive italic letters. But if you persevere, you'll be rewarded.

Forgot to say: There were times when I was very frustrated because my italic letters were not identical to the models I was using. That was until I realised that there will be some differences because each person is unique, and will have a different handwriting regardless of the style.

Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement :)