Inky T O D - Inks You Would Buy For A New Fpner.

amberleadavis

Well, I was going to ask about the ink you wanted to buy that lacks gravitas, but I decided to expand my inky horizons.

A friend's child is graduating with an advanced degree and the graduate is receiving a new to them very nice fountain pen. Not counting shipping, you have a budget of $55 dollars. What inks would you buy?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Runnin_Ute

• Algester

• Uncle Red

The three inks I have in rotation today:

Noodler's Black (my favorite most problem-free black); Faber Castell Stone Grey (a bit pricey, but lovely ink in a gorgeous bottle); and my new favorite blue (and it's waterproof!), available from fpn member in Warsaw, kwzi - Blue #3.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Diamine Syrah or Diamine Oxblood

Diamine Umber

Diamine Denim

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Find out the kind of pen being gifted and if it's a manufacturer that produces its own ink (for example, Montblanc, Lamy, Pilot, Visconti, Pelikan, etc.), I'd select a blue or a black to match the brand.

Pilot black, Pilot Blue, and (to add a bit of uniqueness to their writing) a bottle of Pilot Iroshizuki Yama-Budo.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Ah, an adult. Male or female?

You win.... one of each

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Aurora Blue

Noodler's Polar Black, and Ghost Blue

Skrip Red

adn my beloved Dromgooles (Noodler's) Blue Steel.

If they never needed black, then probably Noodler's purple.

Pilot Blue

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black

Sheaffer Skrip Red

Lamy Turquoise

Waterman Tender Purple

Should all fit in $55. If you have to deduct some for tax/shipping, lose the purple.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Hmmm. Bearing in mind they do not sound like the sort of people who would enjoy sitting down and flushing a pen out, I'd want to gift something which is easy maintenance. I like the idea of matching ink and pen manufacturers.

I think I would go for Lamy Blue, montblanc black and perhaps Omas purple.

Great thread by the way :thumbup:

Waterman Serenity Blue

Aurora Black

Diamine Green/Black

All business, but the Diamine Green/Black is a little fun. Just a little, though. :)

Noodler's Black

Diamine ASA Blue

Sheaffer Skrip Red

Waterman Green.

I don't know anything about the recipient or the pen, but these are all good, reliable, relatively inexpensive inks that behave well in most pens and on most papers.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Let's see, I got Noodler's North african violet for my niece with the pen I gave her for graduating HS. My other niece got one of Scribal Workshop's washable purples for 8th grade.

My nephew got blues but he was in middle school at the time.

For a man something like DeA Atlantic Blue, Steel Blue or Plum.

Both men and women seem to like DeA Rose.

Waterman Mysterious Blue
Aurora Black (or Pel. Brilliant Black, if everybody is "temporarily" out of Aurora)

And make up the difference, with a boat-load of ink samples - any color you think they might like.

De Atramentis Steel Blue

J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage or Cafe des Iles

Diamine Asa Blue

Noodler's Black Eel

Some kind of turquoise. Right now I've got Noodler's Navajo Turquoise, but I would want to try others out before buying something for someone else. Navajo Turquoise is a great color, but seems to be a bit dry, so I have to use it in the right pen.

I think these are all inks that could appeal to anyone. Lierre Sauvage is a bit brighter, but I love it, and J. Herbin inks behave really well.

Pelikan 4001 Blue Black (in lieu of this perhaps Diamine Blue Black)

Diamine Sherwood Green

Noodler's Apache Sunset

Diamine Steel Blue

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Well, when my husband's niece graduated from high school as valedictorian of her class, I got her a Parker Vector FP/BP "set" [well, they were the same color anyway :angry: but that's another rant, er, story, on a different thread...], and then got her a bottle of PR American Blue. So that's one possibility. And then something relatively well-behaving like Quink Black or Pelikan 4001 Brilliant black, and maybe Waterman Mysterious Blue [although I have a preference for Noodler's 54th MA, it being pretty waterproof] or Diamine Denim. For a brighter blue, I'd maybe swap out PRAM for Noodler's Liberty's Elysium.

Unlike Uncle Red, I'm not sure I'd start a new person off on a scented ink (much as I like De Atramentis Rose -- man, Marc, you are SUCH an enabler :lol:) -- simply because some people are very sensitive to odors. I might go with something like Noodler's Shah Rose instead.

Of course the problem is we're coming from a position of not knowing what colors the recipient(s) in question like. There are some greens, for example, that if someone had given me, I would have had this sort of sick smile pasted on my face, while racking my brains to say "thank you" graciously. And while I know a lot of people really like Noodler's Apache Sunset, orange(y) is just not my thing.

Oh, and I might splurge (a little -- especially since most of my other choices are relatively inexpensive) and get something like Iroshihzuku Yama-guri; I'd say Yama-budo, but for someone I don't know a brown/sepia might be a safer choice.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I would go for a variety to show them what is available for a FP user, so something like this:

A bottle of Noodler's Black

a box of blue cartridges for their pen

a small bottle of iron gall ink

samples of a variety of colors, including what I thought their favorite color to be

The idea would be to cover as much of the world of ink as practical without a bewildering array of tiny samples. With a set like this, they would have something bullet proof, a chance to try both bottled ink and cartridges, a traditional ink that changes colors as it sits, and an indication of the wide variety of colors available. Such a set would cover the big three standard colors (black, blue, and blue/black), washable and permanent inks, "new" and traditional inks, etc.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

J Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite.

Iroshizuku Ama-Iro.

http://i.imgur.com/xQaDQjc.png

I am now replacing every word with "Iroshizuku". You're looking very Iroshizuku today! Iroshizuku to you too!