Saving Money

fpc

I was wandering through my pen books and found I haven't bought one since I have been on FPN. All of a sudden, I get great current information from

knowledgeable people, without the hefty book costs. Thanks to all who have made my pen knowledge and experiences more affordable.

Don

Letter writing is the only device for combining

solitude with good company.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• Runnin_Ute

• fpc

• The Blue Knight

Top Posters In This Topic

? There a question hidden in there ?

Not every thread is always a question. This one is expressing thanks to the community as a whole.

This said, the FPN community really is great - post a question, and people are more than eager to always help/discuss, whether it's beginning to use fountain pens, identifying the odd pen from fleabay/antique stores/etc, or even just plain excitement from a purchase recent purchase. Thank you for being part of this community as well, Don, because every question asked helps everyone here know a little bit more. :)

Calculating.

Not every thread is always a question. This one is expressing thanks to the community as a whole.

This said, the FPN community really is great - post a question, and people are more than eager to always help/discuss, whether it's beginning to use fountain pens, identifying the odd pen from fleabay/antique stores/etc, or even just plain excitement from a purchase recent purchase. Thank you for being part of this community as well, Don, because every question asked helps everyone here know a little bit more. :)

Kind of figured after re-reading, but I Didn't think all this would really 'save' money, but be more like encouraging us to be like kids in a candy shop, and spread the 'bug' so to speak :P

Guest Ray Cornett

I was wandering through my pen books and found I haven't bought one since I have been on FPN. All of a sudden, I get great current information from

knowledgeable people, without the hefty book costs. Thanks to all who have made my pen knowledge and experiences more affordable.

Don

This site is certainly loaded with information and knowledgeable people! Glad to have you here.

Btw I am in Sacramento. I spent my first 8 years in California in Davis :)

Kind words.

However, some commenters on here have their advice tempered by their own particular experiences which may differ from others.

Even the most learned of pen experts have respect for the written word in book form, as in the following link from Richard Binder acknowledging the expertise in the Parker 51 book by David Shepherd:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=xf/2010/03.htm

David has produced some remarkable books, the Vacumatic and the Duofold are favourites.

Books are cheap when compared to ignorance.

I know exactly what you mean. Simply reading a few articles daily has helped me to build up a good bank of knowledge on fountain pens,

Yes, FPN has saved my money by providing information for free, only this saving is offset (and eventually superseded) by all the new pens I get to know and crave about and eventually end up buying -_-

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I know exactly what you mean. Simply reading a few articles daily has helped me to build up a good bank of knowledge on fountain pens,

Same here :)

Definitely helps increase the old wisdom bank.

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

This site is certainly loaded with information and knowledgeable people! Glad to have you here.

Btw I am in Sacramento. I spent my first 8 years in California in Davis :)

My condolences. The Republic of Davis takes some real getting used to.

Everything in the pen world has to be bought online or go to the Bay area.

But then again that is where this forum came in handy. Free advise without having to buy a book.

I agree with the above - I have spent more on pens because of this forum than the money saved by not buying books.

One more point - my wife has had both hips replaced in the past three months, because of this I have spent little time

on the forum, and my pen purchased dropped to almost zero. FPN must be some sort of catalyst.

Enjoy - thanks for responses.

Don

Letter writing is the only device for combining

solitude with good company.

I find things to be the opposite. This forum has not saved me any money. Far from it, this forum is responsible for me spending thousands of dollars over the past 8 years in FPs.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

I find things to be the opposite. This forum has not saved me any money. Far from it, this forum is responsible for me spending thousands of dollars over the past 8 years in FPs.

But how many of those would you have severely regretted if you had spent them on something other than what you learned from here? :P

Kind words.

However, some commenters on here have their advice tempered by their own particular experiences which may differ from others.

Even the most learned of pen experts have respect for the written word in book form, as in the following link from Richard Binder acknowledging the expertise in the Parker 51 book by David Shepherd:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=xf/2010/03.htm

David has produced some remarkable books, the Vacumatic and the Duofold are favourites.

Books are cheap when compared to ignorance.

This is exactly my experience. I thought I knew just about everything I needed to know about the Parker 51, that is, until I got the book. If people like Richard Binder with his decades of first hand experience and knowledge can glean something new from a book then I still think they serve an important need to collectors and users alike. I think they are a good investment and I own both Shepherd's 51 and Vacumatic book as well as several other fountain pen books by various authors.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

When I joined here I had two pens and had for over a dozen years. Since I have bought at least 10. That was Dec 2012.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I've always been interested in fountain pens since being introduced to them in Miss Fisher's penmanship class in 6th grade (Davis School, BTW--nothing to do with Davis, CA). The internet has enhanced my enjoyment of this interest, and many others that I have, immeasurably. Gods bless FPN and all the other places I hang out on the Web. Things are lots better in general than the old days of the internet using Unix and my old DOS machine. There must've been a popular fountain pen news group in those days (rec.fountain.pens?), too.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Yes, FPN has saved my money by providing information for free, only this saving is offset (and eventually superseded) by all the new pens I get to know and crave about and eventually end up buying -_-

Oh yes! I've always considered FPN as populated by enablers to ensure the growth of this wonderful addiction!

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Oh yes! I've always considered FPN as populated by enablers to ensure the growth of this wonderful addiction!

In a visit to the rest of my family, my mother even said I was a 'pusher' showing my collection to my brother. Especially since I've given her and my brother a couple of chinese pens, which she compares to a drug dealer making the 'first hit free'.

In a visit to the rest of my family, my mother even said I was a 'pusher' showing my collection to my brother. Especially since I've given her and my brother a couple of chinese pens, which she compares to a drug dealer making the 'first hit free'.

That's what I did to my mother. I got her a Lamy Vista to seed the addiction and now she has a Visconti Cosmos. :D

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png