#31 TassoBarbasso

TassoBarbasso

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:58

wow ... I really love Montegrappa pens but .... 

... these videos are of such poor quality and make no sense at all ! 

My best guess would be that these videos are NOT from Montegrappa but someone else, that desperately tries to kill the brand, published them ... 

I hope this is the case. It would be the only logical explanation.

Oh dear, the Bulgarian ad is even worse than the others...

#32 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:05

I hope this is the case. It would be the only logical explanation.

Oh dear, the Bulgarian ad is even worse than the others...

The Youtube account is MontegrappaItalia which has been around since 2011, so yea It's actually them. 

https://www.youtube....lf_id=1&sort=dd

Edited by KBeezie, 14 April 2014 - 10:06.

#33 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:39

Ehhh, is this the same company that produced the fabulous NeroUno Linea???

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#34 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:13

Ehhh, is this the same company that produced the fabulous NeroUno Linea???

D.ick

Yep. :D (I wonder if they have two completely different design department, one for people made of money and one for people who actually plan to use the damned things). 

NeroUno_Crystal_Linea2_M.jpg

Is it bad that all I can think of is Dust Traps when I see this? 

Edited by KBeezie, 14 April 2014 - 11:16.

#35 Ray Cornett

Ray Cornett

Snorkel Freak

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:15

Yep. :D (I wonder if they have two completely different design department, one for people made of money and one for people who actually plan to use the damned things). 

NeroUno_Crystal_Linea2_M.jpg

Is it bad that all I can think of us Dust Traps when I see this? 

Better come with a groove cleaner and canned air!

To write or not to write. There is no question. Write!

#36 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 7,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:25

Tooth brush will work. And you can also buy the cheaper NeroUno standard. But visually I like the Linea (the original, not the RoseGold)

D.ick

#37 picautomaton

picautomaton

picautomaton

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:36

Thanks for posting the link.  That's as close as us mere mortals will get to that item.  Beautiful!

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

#38 TassoBarbasso

TassoBarbasso

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:51

I'm wondering if it wasn't preferable to leave Montegrappa under MontBlanc. At least they would have enjoyed a sounder marketing policy and possibly a bit more guidance. It looks like a schizophrenic company by now...

#39 basterma

basterma

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:28

Weed is not what these people are smoking. Take your pick of any household chemical and you might get this pen as a result... 

#40 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 13:27

While you might not like the pens, if you stopped and looked at the workmanship and craftsmanship you would likely agree that it is superb.

Not all tastes are the same.  Bubba Watson was wearing a watch at the masters that I would not wear even if it were free and I was at a convention of blind folk but it sells for a very high sum. I will acknowledge that the technology of the watch is amazing but it is still butt ugly.

Few companies do better engraving and casting in precious metals with greater detail than Montegrappa and while you might not like some of their efforts it is hard to deny the quality.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#41 TassoBarbasso

TassoBarbasso

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 13:44

While you might not like the pens, if you stopped and looked at the workmanship and craftsmanship you would likely agree that it is superb.

Not all tastes are the same.  Bubba Watson was wearing a watch at the masters that I would not wear even if it were free and I was at a convention of blind folk but it sells for a very high sum. I will acknowledge that the technology of the watch is amazing but it is still butt ugly.

Few companies do better engraving and casting in precious metals with greater detail than Montegrappa and while you might not like some of their efforts it is hard to deny the quality.

This goes without saying, but we were discussing primarily about the advertising. A company that makes such stuff should at least make good ads for it. 

#42 Parker51

Parker51

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 14:12

No, it is not a joke. Look at the history of Art, of which Italia and the antecedents of it produced. There can be a point at which many individuals will say, this is enough decoration, no more, but others will continue on. If one looks even recently in architecture, think about the Victorian Period, which lead in reaction to the Arts & Crafts Period. So, maybe in time, in reaction to this level of excess, some truely beautiful, naturalistic Pens will be produced.

#43 nigelg

nigelg

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 14:51

Weed is not what these people are smoking. Take your pick of any household chemical and you might get this pen as a result... 

Perhaps the "Grappa" part of their name is the clue? :D

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.
That's why it's called the present

#44 TassoBarbasso

TassoBarbasso

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 14:54

Perhaps the "Grappa" part of their name is the clue? :D

this would make perfect sense :D

#45 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:59

This goes without saying, but we were discussing primarily about the advertising. A company that makes such stuff should at least make good ads for it. 

I thought the ad was pretty good, certainly better than any lite beer, vodka or tequila ad out there.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#46 MBFan

MBFan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 16:32

Lolz
'PostedColourless green ideas sleep furiously- Noam Chomsky

#47 ravantra

ravantra

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 17:30

Could be worse, they could come out with a paranormal line, and introduce something like "The Big Foot"

Love the Sasquatch Pen!

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.
Posted Image

#48 freakman

freakman

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:57

I've got Chaos, Mayan Calendar and Alchemist from the new Montegrappa LE line and I appreciate their workmanship and design. But this one is certainly not my taste. It's far more ugly than I had expected. When I got the Montegrappa newsletter I thought "wow, this one must be made with MOP and enamel like Aphrodite and Tertio Millenio Adveniente", but after I checked the gallery I was like "Ehww". Of course the lost wax skill and enameling for this pen is pretty god. But the whole design of the pen is just too bad. Maybe they tried to mix Chaos and Luxor Nile but messed up.

#49 Skoff

Skoff

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2014 - 13:40

I'm quite surprised at the harsh critique the aesthetics of this pen have been subjected to. I agree it's quite ostentatious in its looks, maybe not a pen for doing the crossword with, but honestly I quite like it. It's bold and different, the details look intricate and I like the colours. I also enjoyed the video, but then I like Manga comics and animation. As an exercise in advertising, it seemed to do its job as we are all talking about it. 

Of course I imagine it will be priced in the 'if you have to ask...' bracket, but that's another subject entirely.

#50 angio

angio

Extremely Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2014 - 13:52

The pen looks, um, not great but I am strangely drawn to the watch. Must be my misspent youth playing far too much Final Fantasy on the PSOne...

#51 TassoBarbasso

TassoBarbasso

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2014 - 15:15

I'm quite surprised at the harsh critique the aesthetics of this pen have been subjected to. I agree it's quite ostentatious in its looks, maybe not a pen for doing the crossword with, but honestly I quite like it. It's bold and different, the details look intricate and I like the colours. I also enjoyed the video, but then I like Manga comics and animation. As an exercise in advertising, it seemed to do its job as we are all talking about it. 

Of course I imagine it will be priced in the 'if you have to ask...' bracket, but that's another subject entirely.

The problem with the videos is how completely and embarassingly off-target they are. If this was an ad for a pair of sneakers, that's ok, but here we have a pen that costs zillions of euros and will be probably sold to Russian oligarchs, Arab emirs and a few very rich collectors scattered around the world. I can hardly imagine a poorly drawn comic is the most effective way to address that target. To put it differently: would you advertise a fluo-pink Lamy Safari with a video featuring a bunch of serious British aristocrats?

Not to mention the quality of the CGI effects... couldn't they just put a picture of the actual thing? :D at least they could show off the amazing craftmanship.

Edited by TassoBarbasso, 15 April 2014 - 15:18.

#52 fountainpende

fountainpende

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 17:56

+1

www.fountainpen.de - the website for Montblanc and Astoria collectors

Posted Image

#53 MisterBoll

MisterBoll

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 18:09

The target audience (the type of people portrayed in Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut") will understand the message of the 'cartoon' while we (the type of people that cannot afford to light their cigars with hundred dollar bills) are left just a bit perplexed.

Montegrappa's mission is accomplished.

#54 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 7,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2014 - 19:27

The problem with the videos is how completely and embarassingly off-target they are. If this was an ad for a pair of sneakers, that's ok, but here we have a pen that costs zillions of euros and will be probably sold to Russian oligarchs, Arab emirs and a few very rich collectors scattered around the world. I can hardly imagine a poorly drawn comic is the most effective way to address that target. To put it differently: would you advertise a fluo-pink Lamy Safari with a video featuring a bunch of serious British aristocrats?

Not to mention the quality of the CGI effects... couldn't they just put a picture of the actual thing? :D at least they could show off the amazing craftmanship.

Actually, those people mentioned are the target customers for this one. A few years ago the magazine Penna mentioned that several Italian (and perhaps from other countries as well) penmakers designed very luxurious pens for those people who already have 276 gold bracelets and 134 neclaces and want something else to throw money at. It is those pens that keep the companies afloat so they can make nice pens like the NeroUno, Miya etc. we can buy at reasonable prices.

Problem with magazines like Penna and PenWorld is that they offer 5 pages for ridiculous pens in an edition of 20 or so, and have a 3 line sidenote on a new pen that interests the bulk of our members here and will probably sell 20.000.

D.ick

#55 brgmarketing

brgmarketing

Transition Coach

• Member - Gold

• 1,382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2014 - 23:45

Definitely an advertisement for next years Super Bowl!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by brgmarketing, 15 April 2014 - 23:47.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#56 dzarren

dzarren

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:05

That pen is an atrocity. not only that, why would they depict someone pouring rat poison into the sink? Are you serious? What kind of guardian angel lets you harm the environment like that!?

#57 proton007

proton007

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,114 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:39

Seems like Montgrappa brought back some renaissance artists from the past, and this is the only 'art' they knew....

Still, I wouldn't say it's that far fetched, I mean, there are plenty of 'for show only' pens.

The sun sets behind you, And it shines on me too
This view must be the highest beauty
And I know that light will pass, And the dark will fall
But I don't care about that now, No I don't care about that now

The days we spend, Searching, sometimes finding
If we die today, we should die smiling,
And I know these times will be gone someday, But I don't care about that now

#58 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,791 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:32

I am proud that Montegrappa had the daring and courage to present a piece with positive, overt religious connotation, without resorting to the dark witchcraft themes which dominate so much tv and music videos.  The video's music was confident and praiseworthy -- and I'm not the sentimental, schmaltzy type.  The craftsmanship appears outstanding.  If buyers are drawn to a piece which both reminds and gives expression to their faith, so much the better.  This, from an admitted pastor / chaplain ... who couldn't afford one anyway.

#59 MisterBoll

MisterBoll

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,730 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:44

This thread was not started to call the quality of their pens into question.

They did not resort to dark witchcraft themes - they took it a step darker (if you look beyond the surface).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montegrappa, limited edition, guardian angel, italy, advertising, pr, horrible