#31 pompa

pompa

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:19

The best has been Japan, $12-15 EMS with a 3-4 day delivery.

+1

#32 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:34

This is a question, not a conclusion, so I am looking for opinion. Recently I have been looking at a lot of Conway Stewart pens on ebay. Most of them come from British sellers, and I would say that 75 percent of them carry what I consider exorbitant shipping costs. Fifteen to 20 dollars US seems to be near average. Every now and then, I see a British seller set a shipping price in the $7 to $10 range. Now that sounds reasonable. Are the sellers jacking up the cost without good reason? 

I see some of that in the US with many sellers wanting to ship everything at expedited rates rather than standard USPS rates. Granted some folks may be in a hurry, but high shipping charges often turn me off even bidding on some pens. What say you all?

This is slightly off topic, but it's still about exorbitant/ridiculous shipping rates, and this is a story about intra-U.S.A. shipping rates.

About a year ago, I think it was, I had ordered some bottles from the late, lamented Sunburst Bottle Company. I'd wanted to order some extra polycone caps for the bottles, but they were out of them just then. I was told to check back in a week or so. I did that and they said that I should check back on April 1, or so. I did.

What I found was that Sunburst Bottle Company had been taken over by another company and that company said they did have the caps in stock. I had been quoted a price of under $3 for all of the caps. And I'd pay under a dollar for shipping via USPS. But this new company insisted that they did not ship USPS but were exclusively FedEx shippers on all items. So the shipping would come to over $15. Wow!

Of course I never agreed to this and never got the polycone caps :angry: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

#33 parnesh

parnesh

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:24

Try living in Oz! Everything is exorbitant! Actually Asia and UK to Oz isn't too bad but since the USPS price hikes 18-14 months ago, getting anything form the US is not worth it. For the most part it costs US$40 dollar to get anything here (with tracking).

#34 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 13:13

Bottom line  -  if the price is too high with shipping, don't buy it.

#35 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 13:35

Personally the horror stories I hear about UK inbound seems to be something that would infuriate me because when I buy something, I expect it to already be paid, not some fun bonus fee before I can even get it. 

It's a sales tax - everything sold in the UK (pretty much) is subject to VAT, stuff being imported is just as liable for taxes, it's just "luck" that ebay sales saw people avoiding the tax for so long!

#36 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 13:56

Though in ebay's eyes the final value price is the item's price, since shipping is supposed to be 'free' anyways, and I don't think the automated slip is going to print any differently. (I wonder what % of ebay buyers specifically search for only listings with 'free shipping'). 

Personally the horror stories I hear about UK inbound seems to be something that would infuriate me because when I buy something, I expect it to already be paid, not some fun bonus fee before I can even get it. 

Maybe that is the case, but everyone knows very well that S&H is added into the item price.

Sellers aren't suddenly paying S&H to everywhere in the world out of the goodness of their hearts.

I was just trying to point out that as a solution, it's not always perfect. Then again, in the UK, not much is.

It would be wonderful if it was already paid, and there are some listings that offer 'no additional fees'. However, when I work out what the amounts should be they are never correct.

Edited by Chrissy, 14 April 2014 - 13:57.

postcardde9.png

#37 wykeite

wykeite

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:34

Agree with all the folks saying that, to someone who lives in the UK, this doesn't seem the least bit exorbitant.  We pay a lot more for lots of things, over here.  And Her Majesty's customs agents are rabid, to boot!

HMRC aren't the rabid dogs, it's the courier services and Royal Fail who will march the package up to customs and then charge YOU handsomely for the "service".

The bit that really jars me off about the whole customs thing is that £17.99 you're home safe. £18.01 and you're paying VAT and duty where applicable on the declared value AND the cost of postage.

Born British, English by the Grace of God.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shipping, high cost