#41 tinta

tinta

Valentine # 76

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:59

If I would have known that my "cute" bottle was going to create such excitement.................................

Sailor 1911 Standards: *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown or Red Marbled Mozaiques, acrylic/rhodium, 1.0 mm. CI & 0.8 mm.stub, *Edison (Purple-Web Celluloid) Pearl, stainless JoWo 1.1 mm. Pendleton-point stub, *Franklin-Christoph, Iterum, mod."03" (smoke/maroon), 18K JoWo 1.1 mm. custom stub

#42 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 18:32

This bottle usually does.

#43 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 18:36

I've seen some action packed videos in my day, but WOW, that one really gets your head spinning, ;)

#44 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Moderators

• 21,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 18:52

I've seen some action packed videos in my day, but WOW, that one really gets your head spinning, ;)

The exciting one was removed - another FPNer opened the bottle without due care and ink exploded all over him.  Hence, when I opened mine, I did so carefully!

#45 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• 1,343 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 19:09

The exciting one was removed - another FPNer opened the bottle without due care and ink exploded all over him.  Hence, when I opened mine, I did so carefully!

I wanna see that one.

#46 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Moderators

• 21,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 19:14

I wanna see that one.

If I had it, I'd share. I think it's super funny.

#47 David_W

David_W

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 19:15

I've never handled one of these bottles, but I wonder if there's a more effective technique.

The problem is excess air pressure in the bottle relating to the difference between the altitude when the bottle was sealed compared to the Nevada altitude. The ink, as a liquid, will be all but incompressible. The marble will trap this excess air in the bottom part of the bottle. If you just go ahead and open it, the excess air pressure in the bottle will push the marble upwards and spray the ink everywhere. (It's a rather similar effect to shaking a bottle of carbonated liquid to drive some of the gas out of solution, then rapidly uncapping the bottle).

I wonder, therefore, if the safer approach is to tilt the bottle in such a way that the marble runs up the upper chamber and doesn't roll all the way back down to create a seal. This would let the ink fall into the bottom chamber, away from the lid, and allows free communication between the two chambers so that the excess air can safely escape when you gently remove the lid.

It could well be that this technique is impossible to execute, because of the geometry of the bottle compared to the amount of ink in it. If so, I'd still attempt to run as much ink as possible into the lower chamber before opening, just in case.

The important thing is that the pair of you got the bottles open without mishap.

#48 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• 1,343 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 19:33

I've never handled one of these bottles, but I wonder if there's a more effective technique.

The problem is excess air pressure in the bottle relating to the difference between the altitude when the bottle was sealed compared to the Nevada altitude. The ink, as a liquid, will be all but incompressible. The marble will trap this excess air in the bottom part of the bottle. If you just go ahead and open it, the excess air pressure in the bottle will push the marble upwards and spray the ink everywhere. (It's a rather similar effect to shaking a bottle of carbonated liquid to drive some of the gas out of solution, then rapidly uncapping the bottle).

I wonder, therefore, if the safer approach is to tilt the bottle in such a way that the marble runs up the upper chamber and doesn't roll all the way back down to create a seal. This would let the ink fall into the bottom chamber, away from the lid, and allows free communication between the two chambers so that the excess air can safely escape when you gently remove the lid.

It could well be that this technique is impossible to execute, because of the geometry of the bottle compared to the amount of ink in it. If so, I'd still attempt to run as much ink as possible into the lower chamber before opening, just in case.

The important thing is that the pair of you got the bottles open without mishap.

Man, that sounds like a lot of fooling around to me.  Play it safe  -  open the bottles under water.

#49 FloatingFountain

FloatingFountain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 19:45

LOL. Upside down. Then you can be sure the ink won't spout upward :P

#50 Shaughn

Shaughn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 20:39

http://www.fountainp...kerman-warning/ tells the story...

#51 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Moderators

• 21,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 22:44

Ah, yes, still funny!

#52 FloatingFountain

FloatingFountain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:32

Wehehe. That's REAL *fountain* pen ink alright.

New version: Akkerman Black Bomb and Akkerman Grey Geyser :P

#53 ellenspn

ellenspn

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:32

Oh my.....

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

#54 FayeV

FayeV

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:03

Cute bottle! I want! I want!!! ... Hope they'll eventually be easy to find in the United States.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

#55 tinta

tinta

Valentine # 76

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2014 - 14:24

If you burp the bottle (think baby :D ) before retiring it,  to clear out most of the filling chamber there is less likelihood of "exploding ink". 

The third picture (instruction graphic) on their boxes suggests what to do:....... to get most of the ink back into the main chamber.

Not leaving ink in the chamber for longer periods of time also clears the glass marble valve.   The chamber does drain slowly but not completely on some bottles.

I use the large Akkerman bottle,  Ijzer-galnoten blauw/zwart, #10 IG ink,  that has some solids that like to hang around the marble. 

The only problem I've ever had was when the clever plastic insert (liner) wanted to pull out of the cap.   It got stuck on the lip of the bottle.

To date, no ink explosions etc................. just writing with a really good iron gall ink.

Filling a pen with this bottle is a real pleasure. 

Sailor 1911 Standards: *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown or Red Marbled Mozaiques, acrylic/rhodium, 1.0 mm. CI & 0.8 mm.stub, *Edison (Purple-Web Celluloid) Pearl, stainless JoWo 1.1 mm. Pendleton-point stub, *Franklin-Christoph, Iterum, mod."03" (smoke/maroon), 18K JoWo 1.1 mm. custom stub

#56 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Moderators

• 21,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2014 - 16:36

Cute bottle! I want! I want!!! ... Hope they'll eventually be easy to find in the United States.

Vaness pens or a group buy.

#57 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Moderators

• 21,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2014 - 16:36

BTW, once you open it the first time, all is well.

#58 tinta

tinta

Valentine # 76

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2014 - 17:08

---Amberlea, could the black hockey tape ( or electrician's) be the culprit?

#59 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Moderators

• 21,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2014 - 19:31

No, it's definitely about the changes in pressure.  The tape is to keep the cap secure.

#60 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• 1,343 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2014 - 20:55

Cute or not, I will buy some this weekend as a store "near" me has it in stock.  Can I wait???

[Sponsored Content]