Akkerman Bottles - Comparative Pictures

whichwatch

We have all read a lot about the beautiful Akkerman bottle, but I'm not sure I remember seeing any pictures of the original size next to the new size. I decided to get out the camera and shoot a few.

First, the originals, which came to me courtesy of a Group Buy arranged by Amberlea Davis and friends.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B635323B6-E924-4127-B93D-424A5314F9A4%7D/origpict/1.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BDCE1DB0B-E165-482D-BAE6-273A316D01BC%7D/origpict/2.JPG

And now the new smaller size bottles, which I obtained with the help of the recent Group Buy arranged by "Sinstral"

http://www.fototime.com/%7BD89C9198-BFD7-4DEC-A7B5-0CA9BFD62C14%7D/origpict/3.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BE5F67B10-0B40-4FB3-823A-1FA8BFBACD07%7D/origpict/4.JPG

And finally, some comparison shots showing big brother and little brother next to each other.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B37E47984-F43A-4C5D-9159-515D6F8DCE20%7D/origpict/5.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BD7213F3D-EAFF-4491-BB61-5363F8BC3212%7D/origpict/6.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BC9B64D49-82DD-4C56-BAA8-0BA08CD05879%7D/origpict/7.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BB80F3F8A-0F6F-4633-B027-0C25860B4244%7D/origpict/8.JPG

The big guys are about 5 1/4 inches tall by about 3 inches diameter. I'll let those of you of the metric persuasion do the math. The smaller bottles are about 4 1/4 inches tall by about 2 1/4 inches diameter. The well for filling your pen is slightly smaller on the smaller bottles, but still plenty big to fill the largest pens.

I suppose which you prefer is a matter of taste. Personally, I like the smaller bottles. I don't use that much ink and a full bottle will probably last me many years. The empty in the picture was my first Akkerman - acquired already empty in a trade for some ink samples because I liked the bottle. Now I like the bottle AND the ink! The smaller ones fit better on the shelf in my bookcase, and are a bit handier. Besides, they're just so darned cute!

Hope you enjoyed the pictures!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Charles Rice

• Sinistral1

• FloatingFountain

P W Akkerman stated that the larger bottles were a limited edition when they came out.........

But for my life I cannot remember what they used before these, anybody help !!!

Note: smaller bottles easier to transport.

Charles U.K

Unexpected Consequences = One of the group buyers taking really cool photos of the group buy I was part of!

I took one of the babies to my local art supply store yesterday where I support local small business on an all too frequent basis. It was a big hit, and got all the employees talking about fountain pens - insert sly chuckle here.

Thanks to all the group buy members who participated, along with my local pen club. I enjoyed the moniker "International Ink Broker" while it lasted.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I took one of the babies to my local art supply store yesterday where I support local small business on an all too frequent basis. It was a big hit, and got all the employees talking about fountain pens - insert sly chuckle here.

Any place near you where I can get one of those bad boys, or do I have to get it from Europe?

I posted it somewhere else too, but here is another comparison, including the original bottles from Gimborn, designed by Andries D. Copier.

My local pen repair guy, Mike Carter, will have some bottles at the Chicago show in May, and said he will also offer some colors on his web site "The Fountain Pen Recycler". His shop is in Crystal, MN. Vanness Pens also has them for sale.

Anybody can organize a group buy. It has been a great way to give back to a community that has, in some ways, saved my sanity during a very difficult time in my life by being so accepting and generous with their time and assistance with my new hobby. This ink is great, too, and makes it a doubly good deal, because you can forever recycle the bottles after you have enjoyed the contents.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I'd love a bottle, they really look fantastic

If there is a group buy, I'd be interested.

I've seen the same design (including the marble) in vintage Waterman JIF bottles. Another Waterman kudo!

By the way, I, too, would like to see a picture of what the pre-cool Akkerman ink bottles looked like.

Sure enjoyed the pictures. Thanks for posting.

I'm just waiting for a couple of the 60 ml babies from Vanness (no affiliation) to clear Canada Customs.

Sadly all my display space is taken up by vintage fly fishing reels, rods & fly-tying vices.

Both my large & small bottles of Akkerman will be hiding in a cupboard.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Any place near you where I can get one of those bad boys, or do I have to get it from Europe?

I have an unopened bottle of pink. I know how you love pink. :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_316.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_316b.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have an unopened bottle of pink. I know how you love pink. :)

When you use up all that "lovely" color, you can send me the empty bottle. ;)

Just wash it out completely, or I might catch girl germs.

Good luck on that hunt for an empty bottle! Everybody keeps them and puts another ink in them because they are so easy to fill from. The best inkwell on the planet. Like I have said a thousand times (well...) a great bottle plus a great ink - you can't go wrong!