Personalized Note Cards?

JonDC

I want some blank but personalized folded note cards for thank-you notes, quick notes, etc.

I don't want anything too expensive, but I do want FP friendly. Does anyone have experience with Vistaprint, Paper Source, or Paperstyle? Or any other recommendations?

Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonDC

• Blade Runner

• kiavonne

• OcalaFlGuy

I don't have any experience with the ones you have listed.

I have folded notes and correspondence cards I purchased from Classic Communication which are all fountain pen friendly, and feathering is dependent - though minimal - based on my ink choice and the finish of the particular note or correspondence card I am using. All have been satisfactory. However, Classic Communication is gone now, the owner retired. These cards and notes can all be found at American Stationery or Always Stationery in some form or another. I would stay away from any brightly colored notes (the ones that look like greeting cards, not the soft blue or pink or ivory/ecru) as those have more sizing chemicals to make the paper not so fountain pen friendly. Always Stationery is currently having a buy one get one free sale on their folded notes, it's automatic to the cart. Keep your costs down by not getting lined or address printed envelopes.

Old Crown Mill Pure Cotton correspondence cards - flat cards - work very well, and are not expensive. I use correspondence cards a lot for thank you notes, personalized or not. Old Crown Mill can be had from various vendors, I get mine from the Goulets here. I prefer to buy the envelopes separate from the set offered, because I don't usually use as many envelopes as I do cards (I use the cards for multi purposes, and sometimes I make a mistake, yep). The cards and envelopes here are fairly priced.

I've bought paper and correspondence cards and folded notes from various sources. I bought Amalfi (much more expensive, but like silk to the touch) from European Paper Company. Amalfi, though nice paper, isn't my pens' preference for paper, it is almost too nice, but has a little more issue with feedback and feathering on my favorite inks. G. Lalo cards would probably be fine, their padded sheets are nice paper. I haven't tried their cards, though. G. Lalo can also be sourced from various vendors.

Overall, as long as you are avoiding a glossy surface card like you would find in any market that sells greeting cards (grocery, discount stores, big box stores), you will probably find a reasonably priced card that will take fountain pen and ink writing. Some may require a few more seconds to dry, depending on the stock of the card, but most I've tried from these types places I've mentioned will be ok.

I've avoided trying Vista Print and Moo for stationery, simply because their business cards are not fp friendly (in my experience). I wanted calling cards with just my name on them for use with fountain pens, so I could add any other notes or info on them at will, and I ended up getting wallet cards from Levenger when they were on sale in both horizontal and vertical formats at a fraction of the cost of regular business card printing (the sales are good, just have to watch for them). The wallet cards have horizontal lines on one side and a grid/graph on the reverse. Love them, very fp friendly, too. Wish they would make a folded note.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Are you into DIY? Both correspondence cards and fold-over cards are easy to make. You can peruse the Crane's website for appropriate sizes, formats, and lettering styles. I make mine about two dozen at a time. It's easy to emboss a linear border if you're so inclined.

I tried to emboss my name using the engraved copper plate we were required to purchase when I was graduated from high school, but was unsuccessful. Instead, I chose a font that looks similar. I also make "calling cards" using business card stock. I print only my name and then hand-write whatever contact info is appropriate for each person.

If you check the forums you will find reviews of FP friendly card stock.

Edited by Octo

I had a couple engraved plates made by Crane and Co. You pay once for the plate, and each time you need stationery, you reuse the plate. They do exquisite work, and your stationery has the tell tale "bruise" left by plate, something you won't see with ink jet or thermal methods. It is more expensive, but sometimes it pays to spend for quality.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I ordered some cards from Vistaprint to try them out, since they were super cheap. I will post here if they are worth getting.

A lot of the other sites I looked at wanted what I thought was a lot for basically laser-printed card stock, and it would be more economical for me to buy a printer and do it myself.

But I am seriously considering getting some stuff from Crane, as it looks so nice.

I had some made at Shutterfly...Now and then they will run a special -- ten free 5x7 photo cards for just the cost of shipping, with envelopes. I always put a photo of my house on the front (it's a nice old bungalow) with the text "Thank You." The inside is blank and very FP friendly.

Levenger makes wallet cards and index cards in personalized form too, at a cost. They do use good quality FP friendly stock for those cards, as I've used the non-personalized wallet cards for taking quick notes. I've seen the personalized ones go on sale occasionally.

http://www.levenger.com/Paper-322/Note-Cards-20583/Custom-Note-Cards-20589.aspx

They even sell envelopes for the 3x5 cards.

Edited by wikeh2004

I've bought cards at AC Moore intended for some form of crafty torture (to the card, to the recipient - it varies with the skill level of the crafter) and they seem to work fine - nothing breathtaking, but I was able to use them. I sometimes use the little adhesive squares they have for scrapbooking to attach photos to the fronts of these cards, and I have also made little slits where I want the corners of the photo to slide in on the front of the card and that has worked too.

I made the mistake of buying cards from Michael's - already printed, cheap, I figured I could use them for notes to school, etc. They do not absorb ink ever. It just squishes around and causes all sorts of trouble - I use them by cutting up paper and sticking it inside...

I ended up ordering some cards from Vistaprint. I got 20 personalized cards (5.5 x 4) and 20 matching envelopes printed with my address for just under 40 bucks with shipping. I upgraded to their 100# premium card stock, but with the first time order discount, I think they ended up being about the same price as regular stock.

The card took a fountain pen (a Parker with a fine nib) very well with no feathering and reasonable drying time. So overall I'm pleased.

You will not confuse their stuff with high-end vendors, and I think you would want to use Crane or the like for formal cards. I will use the Vistaprint ones for notes to friends, quick thank-yous, etc. So for that, they were a great choice for the price.

I have used American Stationery paper and envelopes since college and have always been satisfied. The paper has always been FP friendly. Good selection, good prices, good service.

Rob

I ended up ordering some cards from Vistaprint. I got 20 personalized cards (5.5 x 4) and 20 matching envelopes printed with my address for just under 40 bucks with shipping. I upgraded to their 100# premium card stock, but with the first time order discount, I think they ended up being about the same price as regular stock.

The card took a fountain pen (a Parker with a fine nib) very well with no feathering and reasonable drying time. So overall I'm pleased.

You will not confuse their stuff with high-end vendors, and I think you would want to use Crane or the like for formal cards. I will use the Vistaprint ones for notes to friends, quick thank-yous, etc. So for that, they were a great choice for the price.

Thank you for letting us know what you got and how they turned out!

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I like Stationery Studio. Occasionally they run a 2 for 1 special. I have monogrammed folding notecards for me personally and some flat notecards to use when it's appropriate to send a note from me and my husband both. They have a huge selection.

You can make yourself your own personalized note cards with cardboard and a printer. Then plasticize them.

I do my own cards to myself, with my designs.

DSC_0951%2520%2528Copiar%2529.jpg

DSC_0952%2520%2528Copiar%2529.jpg

It can seem to be difficult, but it isn't. In addition it is very cheap.

My web-blog:

FPNheader-transparentepaxticolor.png

www.FountainPenLand.com