Knocking Out The Nib/feed Out Of The Collar...

GG917

Hi all,

I looked around in this forum but cannot find a definitive answer...

Here's my problem: I received an esterbrook with a 1551 nib, but when I took the nib out of the section for cleaning, the colloar fall into piece... I Have another nib unit (2556 this time) on which one of the two tipping is missing.

So I have two feeds, one collar and one working nid: I would like to make one working nib unit out of these! but everything seems to be stuck in the collar (feed and nib)...

While searching on this forum I found out that the recommanded method to get the nib and feed out of the collar is by using a nib knock-out block. My worry is that there is a "dent" on the collar (green collar like on the top one on this picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/scienceteacher3/esterbrook_collars_zps7ba8353e.jpg)... isn't that going to crack while punching the feed out?

Thanks in advance for help!

Edited by GG917

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• GG917

• Brian Anderson

• Scrawler

I have never tried taking one apart but I have had to reassemble several. Heat is what I used and it worked well.

Rod Rumsey

Email me

The dent in the collar is not holding the feed. The nib and feed can be pulled out without attempting to knock it out. I have succeeded in getting the nib and feed out this way, Just a steady pull and jiggle should do it.

I have fitted one with a 14k gold Walker Davison nib into an Esterbrook feed and collar when I restored this make of pen made around 1912.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Mostly this is a friction fit. Sometimes another make of nib as said above will fit well with the Esterbrook feed and collar. This appears to be strongly frowned upon by those who believe in the stellar quality of Esterbrook nibs. You must not use a Goulet nib even though they might fit and offer a dazzling and tempting range of nibs too costly to replicate in Esterbrookdom. No, no, no, even though a 2312 or 9312 italic costs at least three times what a similar Goulet nib would cost. Leave those naughty things for improving Jinhaos.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Me thinks thoust doth protest too much. ;)

I see no fervor against nib transplanters. It sure doesn't matter to me.

Put this sucka in yer little SJ for all I care,

MomboFC.JPG

Photo by Mark Bacas

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

My worry is that there is a "dent" on the collar (green collar like on the top one on this picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/scienceteacher3/esterbrook_collars_zps7ba8353e.jpg)... isn't that going to crack while punching the feed out?

The dent is likely just a notch put there by the jig that was used to stabilize the collar when the rig was assembled. The nib and feed surprisingly will come out with the gentlest of taps on the end with (I use) the back end of a small drill bit. Just be careful to do it so that the threads on the collar don't get mushed. The work is in reassembling it.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

The dent is likely just a notch put there by the jig that was used to stabilize the collar when the rig was assembled. The nib and feed surprisingly will come out with the gentlest of taps on the end with (I use) the back end of a small drill bit. Just be careful to do it so that the threads on the collar don't get mushed. The work is in reassembling it.

Sure? because on some of my nib the dent is quite deep, more than on the link to a picture I posted above...

MomboFC.JPG

Photo by Mark Bacas

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Sarcasm.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Well I hope you're right guy because I have just order a knock out block! And the associated hammer to avoid the "well, I need a hammer now" while opening the package of the block!

Mostly this is a friction fit. Sometimes another make of nib as said above will fit well with the Esterbrook feed and collar. This appears to be strongly frowned upon by those who believe in the stellar quality of Esterbrook nibs. You must not use a Goulet nib even though they might fit and offer a dazzling and tempting range of nibs too costly to replicate in Esterbrookdom. No, no, no, even though a 2312 or 9312 italic costs at least three times what a similar Goulet nib would cost. Leave those naughty things for improving Jinhaos.

I'm afraid it's too late the deed has been done. My Walker Davison pen was grateful for it's resurrection, unlike Dr. Frankenstein's monster!

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

MomboFC.JPG

Photo by Mark Bacas

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I like a big nib and wish to accept this challenge. Please mail it ASAP.

Don't worry, you can do it. There is a corresponding dent in the feed, keeps the nib from sliding too far in or rotating in the collar. I use a flat punch and tap til it comes out. I may set two blocks to hold up either side of the collar, but after you tap it over halfway it pulls easy.

You can do it. Have faith.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

While searching on this forum I found out that the recommanded method to get the nib and feed out of the collar is by using a nib knock-out block. My worry is that there is a "dent" on the collar (green collar like on the top one on this picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/scienceteacher3/esterbrook_collars_zps7ba8353e.jpg)... isn't that going to crack while punching the feed out?

Thanks in advance for help!

Hi

That's my picture you have linked in your original post.

Please don't assume that simply knocking out the nib and feed is going to work. You run the risk of breaking the collar as the indentation in the collar, and the notch in the feed, have flat faces against each other. The notch is designed to retain the feed in the collar. If you just use a knockout block and a punch you are bashing these faces against each other. It may work sometimes, but it is not good practice. The safe procedure is as follows:

• Warm the collar with hot water, this softens and expands it
  • Wiggle just the nib out with your fingers and some patience. Use a bit of rubber tube for grip if necessary. Removing the nib will make the feed looser in the collar.
  • Put collar and feed back into the hot water and let it warm up again
  • Rotate the feed inside the collar, without pulling, to move the indentation off the notch
  • Now you can knock the feed out, if it won't come out by gentle wiggling

Good luck!

I have never had a problem using the knock-out block method, but you have to do it the way you are comfortable with.

Hi

That's my picture you have linked in your original post.

Please don't assume that simply knocking out the nib and feed is going to work. You run the risk of breaking the collar as the indentation in the collar, and the notch in the feed, have flat faces against each other. The notch is designed to retain the feed in the collar. If you just use a knockout block and a punch you are bashing these faces against each other. It may work sometimes, but it is not good practice. The safe procedure is as follows:

• Warm the collar with hot water, this softens and expands it
  • Wiggle just the nib out with your fingers and some patience. Use a bit of rubber tube for grip if necessary. Removing the nib will make the feed looser in the collar.
  • Put collar and feed back into the hot water and let it warm up again
  • Rotate the feed inside the collar, without pulling, to move the indentation off the notch
  • Now you can knock the feed out, if it won't come out by gentle wiggling

Good luck!

I hope you're OK that I use your picture. I have read your thread before, I will also try your method, sounds a very god alternative

To date I have come accros three types of collar: black one with no significant dent, green with small one and green with a big one. The green with a big dent is a definifive knock-out block no no.

I hope you're OK that I use your picture. I have read your thread before, I will also try your method, sounds a very god alternative

To date I have come accros three types of collar: black one with no significant dent, green with small one and green with a big one. The green with a big dent is a definifive knock-out block no no.

There are black ones with a pin. Those are the definite "no no", not the green indented ones. There are also the later softer Venus collars, which are pliable by comparison to the harder, earlier black ones. Basically if it is green and notched, have confidence. Two small strikes of the hammer is all that is needed. If the indent appears to be very small look for a pin in it. Make sure you have a spare section to screw the nib unit into to knock it out. I destroyed the threads on a number with my custom made wooden knock out block, before I started to use the old section.

I have one nib with thebalck collar (two dents) and it had obviously been knocked-out: I can remove the feed and nib just by pulling them. Working fine.

What do you mean by "pin"? is there a metal part in addition of the feed and nib holding them inside? (maybe just my english letting me down here...)

I have one nib with thebalck collar (two dents) and it had obviously been knocked-out: I can remove the feed and nib just by pulling them. Working fine.

What do you mean by "pin"? is there a metal part in addition of the feed and nib holding them inside? (maybe just my english letting me down here...)

In earlier ones there is a metal pin stapling the collar to the feed. If you see no crimps in the collar, look closely for a small indent about the diameter of a clothes pin.