Faber-Castell E Motion Matt Black 2014

Chi Town

Hi, I purchased this pen and just Luv it! Which is why I am doing the following Review;

APPEARANCE & DESIGN; (10-10)

This a masculine Aluminum Barrel with it's guilloche pattern looking pen ....The Matt Black color really sets it off, followed by the Black Nib which has a PVD Black coated steel medium nib....and the Cigar Shaped design of the overall pen.......I do not know what PVD is?

post-11647-0-93514200-1397238001.jpg

CONSTRUCTION & QUALITY; ( 10-10)

This is one well made German Fountain Pen! The fit and finish is exact to the nth degree.....There is no slop and everything is a nice tight fit!

post-11647-0-39268800-1397238409_thumb.jpg

WEIGHT & DIMENSIONS; (9-10)

The only knock here is the weight......it is just a tad heavy! With that said, here are the Dimensions; 5.4" Capped x 5.6" Posted. The Barrel is .57" in Diameter and the cap is .66" in Diameter........It also has a Cigar Shape to it's overall look......

post-11647-0-50551100-1397238879.jpg

NIB & PERFORMANCE; (10-10)

Right now, the nib blobs every once in a blue moon, but that is due to the fact that I am using a universal converter as it did not come with a converter as it should have! I will write to the company to get a converter. Other than that it performs Beautifuly. It has a nice wet line, but not too wet! This comes with a NIB that I have never heard of before, that being a PVD Coated Black Steel Medium Nib....which writes like a dream!

post-11647-0-96407500-1397239391.jpg

FILLING SYSTEM & MAINTENCE; (10-10)

The filling system used in this pen is a Cartridge / Converter type...... And the MAINTENCE to clean it is the same as anyother c/c.........

post-11647-0-07127700-1397239666.jpg

COST & VALUE; (10-10)

I paid 175.00 for my pen and believe it was a very good deal! I have seen them go for higher but never for less. I believe at this price it is a priced right were it belongs for the average pen user!

post-11647-0-78434100-1397239986_thumb.jpg

CONCLUSION; (59-60)

Spec's ; Black Resin, Diamond engraving on the barrel, Spring Load metal

Clip, Cigar-shaped design, has PVD coated black steel medium

Nib, Accepts cartridges or Converter, Masculine Aluminum

Barrel with it's guilloche pattern.

Please forgive me if I have not done a good job here as it has been quite some time since my last Pen Review. From the 1st time I laid my eyes on this pen I feel in love with it and just had to have it! I am so thankful that it writes as good as it looks and just can't wait for my new converter to get here, to stop the blobbing......even if it only does it once in awhile? Would I recommend this pen to a friend? I most certainly would and if I had those extra funds, I would even buy it for them! That is how much I like this pen..I keep 18-20 pens inked up with different colors at any given time and now with this pen in my rotation? I can easily see it as my "go to" Fountain pen! Thanks for joining me here and if you have any questions, P lease feel free to ask me :-)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chi Town

• cengiz

• KBeezie

• theverdictis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats Chi town!, for acquiring such a smart modern pen by Fabre-Castell. Nice review and pictures!

I was given a wood/chrome version for a birthday present recently. Wonderful modern pen!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

A really good review with nice photo's.

A little bit constructive criticism if you don't mind me.

I think you have been a little too generous with the points giving?

Just a stainless steel nibbed pen at £150 pounds is a bit pricey.

c/c has it's obvious disadvantages a well as it's advantages e.g. small ink capacity.

I apologies if this offends It's just I always find constructive criticism is useful.

A really good review with nice photo's.

A little bit constructive criticism if you don't mind me.

I think you have been a little too generous with the points giving?

Just a stainless steel nibbed pen at £150 pounds is a bit pricey.

c/c has it's obvious disadvantages a well as it's advantages e.g. small ink capacity.

I apologies if this offends It's just I always find constructive criticism is useful.

I feel the same way in regards to the bold, I wouldn't have considered it to be a 10/10 unless we were considering maybe some degree of convenience or such. A cartridge might be 10/10 to people who just want to pop in a new one without having to wipe down a nib or clean, but a piston might be 10/10 to someone who prefers not to open the pen at all to refill it and may want more ink capacity.

I mean based on the scoring, does my Faber-Castell BASIC get a 20/10 on cost-value?

Great review, and gorgeous finish on the pen. I'm curious to see how well the PVD coating (not sure what that stands for, either) wears over time and reasonable use.

Great review, looks like a really nice pen. Great find and congratulations :D

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

Amazing pics

I have an E-Motion Croco in Brown myself but looking at your post made me jealous...

One thing I do have to say about FC steel nibs is how impressively butter-smooth they are. Every time I pic mine up it reminds me why I like this pen so much.

Congrats on your purchase

did it come with a converter for that price?

No, BUT, The shop I purchased it from was generous enough that they thru in a universal converter. But in hind site this pen really needs a Faber Castell converter to keep it from blobbing!

I may be wrong, but I believe that this pen is supposed to come with a converter? You will have to do some research on that for yourself......

I feel the same way in regards to the bold, I wouldn't have considered it to be a 10/10 unless we were considering maybe some degree of convenience or such. A cartridge might be 10/10 to people who just want to pop in a new one without having to wipe down a nib or clean, but a piston might be 10/10 to someone who prefers not to open the pen at all to refill it and may want more ink capacity.

I mean based on the scoring, does my Faber-Castell BASIC get a 20/10 on cost-value?

Yes, I see your objection, point well taken!

No, BUT, The shop I purchased it from was generous enough that they thru in a universal converter. But in hind site this pen really needs a Faber Castell converter to keep it from blobbing!

I may be wrong, but I believe that this pen is supposed to come with a converter? You will have to do some research on that for yourself......

The BASIC doesn't so I guess it's fair to say those don't either. They sell them separately as Part #148785 for about 5.00, though they were nice enough to send me one for free when I complained to F-C that none of my international standard converters would fit (the barrel on the BASIC is too thin for the chrome ring to fit past), guessing the higher end models of their pens don't restrict the width of a third party converter.

The BASIC doesn't so I guess it's fair to say those don't either. They sell them separately as Part #148785 for about 5.00, though they were nice enough to send me one for free when I complained to F-C that none of my international standard converters would fit (the barrel on the BASIC is too thin for the chrome ring to fit past), guessing the higher end models of their pens don't restrict the width of a third party converter.

I did not find F/C address or contact info to complain as you did......BUt I found the EXACT same problem with the universal converter with the metal ring on it!

Could you pls back Chanel me the contact info for F/C???

Thank You

Mike

Thanks for the great review and for the pictures, such a high price for a steel nibed FP but it looks like its worth it.

a writing picture would be great.
enjoy your pen :)
thanks.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note for further reference: PVD stands for plasma vapor deposition.

Basically the black coating material is first vaporized in a very hot plasma and that is sort of jetted onto the pen surface. Makes for a good bond even for material that would otherwise not bond to each other so well.

Congratulations for your new pen. I'm after the same pen since some months ago, but the price discourages me. Regarding the converter: I own two Basic (shiny and matte metal barrel) and both are working perfectly with a Visconti converter. Finding a FC converter in my country (except the ones that comes with a purchased high end pen) is like finding a green dog. Regards.

Truly Beautiful Pen. Its something that even Batman might like. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I bought an emotion fountain pen/ ball point set after reading this post. The fountain pen was 182.00 at the pengallery and it came with a faber castell converter. it is a little heavy, as was mentioned, but I'm used to it now and it does write smoothly. The FC ballpoint refills are the same as parker but half the price so I stocked up. I also have an Ondoro with a broad nib and I swap nibs now and then which gives a nice variation. Thanks for the post.

Andrew in Sydney Australia