Jinhao X750 "Stainless Steel" w/ Medium Steel Nib

Faber-Castell BASIC Carbon Fiber w/ Fine Nib

Jinhao X750 "Shimmering Sands" w/ Monteverde Black Fine Nib

Jinhao 159 w/ Goulet 2-tone Medium Nib

Stratford Button Filler (unknown model) w/ "Special Alloy" Fine/XFine Nib

Esterbrook J Double Jewel w/ 2048 (new old stock) Flexible Fine Steel Nib

Unbranded Green Celluloid Lever Filler w/ "Warranted 14K" Gold Nib

Nemosine Singularity Demonstrator w/ Goulet 2-tone 1.5mm Stub Nib

Platinum PTL-5000 w/ Extra Fine 14K Gold Nib (paint/urushi by Engeika Pens)

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/group_apr10.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• h.farmawi

• KBeezie

• rochester21

• Charles Rice

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, i like that Platinum. I didn`t know engeika also makes customised pens. How much was the floral design?

very nice collection, the Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral........
im curious how that Sheaffer Student Pen writes, is it a P45 like pen ?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Oh, i like that Platinum. I didn`t know engeika also makes customised pens. How much was the floral design?

They do under the brand Wancher Limited "Urushi Maki-e". And it's not floral but rather tangerines.

Seems they usually have two listings at a time for each design since they're hand made.

Can either buy it via Buy-it-now for 450$ or bid on the once-a-week auction, and get it for anywhere between 30 to 80. I won that one at $51.

The auction makes no mentions of it being a platinum pen at all, and in the auction, the nib is even blurred, and you don't even see the 'platinum' branding on the cap either in the auction. So you're expecting something labeled 'wancher' (their private brand) to show up in the mail, but instead you get:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/wancher_makie/all.jpg

very nice collection, the Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral........

im curious how that Sheaffer Student Pen writes, is it a P45 like pen ?

I've no experience with a P45, but despite the "F" on the nib, it's actually closer to a broad (sorta like their calligraphy set).

I'm using it as an eye-dropper pen as I have nothing that would fit the nipple on it. Though I may have to clip the nipple down if I want it to be able to use the last bit of ink in the barrel, otherwise the nipple sticks to far in, in order to be able to draw all the ink to the feed. (otherwise you hold the nib down, and the ink just pools around the base of the nipple, not making it to the feed).

This is the latest write sample I did which includes the student pen (and upper ganges blue) just under the wingsung line, on Rhodia 80g paper.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/rhodia_april_6_2014.jpg

And then there's this:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/gp_sp_stroke.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

I've no experience with a P45, but despite the "F" on the nib, it's actually closer to a broad (sorta like their calligraphy set).

I'm using it as an eye-dropper pen as I have nothing that would fit the nipple on it. Though I may have to clip the nipple down if I want it to be able to use the last bit of ink in the barrel, otherwise the nipple sticks to far in, in order to be able to draw all the ink to the feed. (otherwise you hold the nib down, and the ink just pools around the base of the nipple, not making it to the feed).

This is the latest write sample I did which includes the student pen (and upper ganges blue) just under the wingsung line, on Rhodia 80g paper.

well it looks closer to broad not to fine as you said the P45s with F nibs are great smooth writers, well i think this sheaffer is a smooth writer but kinda wet more than the P45s

Looking at that Student really takes me back. I must have gone though a dozen of them in school. One of these days I'd like to find one. Then again, I remember how stained my fingers got.

well it looks closer to broad not to fine as you said the P45s with F nibs are great smooth writers, well i think this sheaffer is a smooth writer but kinda wet more than the P45s

Hence why the F is in "F" quotes. It's F on the Nib, but their calligraphy set and student pens do seem to run large.

My Snorkel and Touchdown are rather smooth, wetness can to some extent be adjusted. The Craftsman is a little bit scratch for the extra fine it puts down. But yes my Snorkel with a Medium nib is pretty wet, but not nearly as wet as that student pen.

Edited by KBeezie

Looking at that Student really takes me back. I must have gone though a dozen of them in school. One of these days I'd like to find one. Then again, I remember how stained my fingers got.

how do these pens feel when you write with one are they smooth ? i think they are wet writers as i concluded from the info. Mr. Gerbil posted before...

Hence why the F is in "F" quotes. It's F on the Nib, but their calligraphy set and student pens do seem to run large.

My Snorkel and Touchdown are rather smooth, wetness can to some extent be adjusted. The Craftsman is a little bit scratch for the extra fine it puts down. But yes my Snorkel with a Medium nib is pretty wet, but not nearly as wet as that student pen.

Thanks for the info. there :) would like to get one of these student FPs.

how do these pens feel when you write with one are they smooth ? i think they are wet writers as i concluded from the info. Mr. Gerbil posted before...

Been too long for me to remember. But I don't recall that they were unpleasant to write with.

Been too long for me to remember. But I don't recall that they were unpleasant to write with.

i think they got the Sheaffer's touch -wet- i hope i will find one :)

Edited by h.farmawi

Just some thoughts on the Sheaffer student nibs and pens. I love them. They have nostalgic as well as practical value for me and I have a number of them. They do vary because of age (use and abuse) and the fact they were so cheap. Most of my F nibs write finer than what I see above. I like very fine nibs and some of my Sheaffer cartridge/student pens are honestly some of my finest, best writing pens. (They were never actually called student pens, though they obvisouls were. There were bascially just called cartridge pens.) Like I say, I prefer fine nibs and through most of my F nibs are OK and fine to medium-fine, maybe depedning on the pressure they were written with in years past, I really look for nibs not marked with a letter F (or M) but for a 304 marking which is truely fine. There are some 305s I have that are OK, but they are closer to M. I've never had a nib that was too wet for me, most have been what I consider a good wet/dry balance, leaning toward drier.

I think these are great pens, certainly a great value. There are a lot of them out there. Just stay away from obvious rust and abuse. I've had good luck getting good ones, I guess. (Maybe too good. I have several stocked up that I've never even touched.) Decent, everyday writers that you don't worry about. Cartridges are readily available and cheap, easy to work with for refiling and, though I don't have one, they say there are Sheaffer converters to fit them.

Fantastic collection and a very useful, and interesting, analysis. I really like the drying times.

Regards,

Kevin