Nmac

I've just got my first Pelikan (a 1990s M200). I'd like a nib with more flex but choosing the right one seems to be a bit of a minefield: which will fit and should it be vintage or new, gold or steel?

I'd welcome any advice.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Nmac

• Sallent

• artibasos

Any Pelikan nib younger than the early 80's will not have much flex. Not sure exactly where the date is between more flexy options and less flexy options. But also remember that just because a nib is vintage it does not mean it will have flex. Most companies produced plenty of non-flex nibs back in the day too.

Edited by Sallent

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

A 140 will be semi-flex. I have two....OF and OB.

I have an OBB 500--fancy early 50's 400 with 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex, and a 400NN OF ('56...one of the rare friction feeds.).

I have a 400N ('55) with a real nice semi-flex B...that is now on my 605.

Not all 400NN's are 'flexi' ... some are semi-flex.

To find out out side 140 what flex a '50-60's Pelikan has is to buy from some one who knows how flexible the nib is he's selling you.

Yes...it will cost more....but you get what you pay for....ie getting a 400NN expecting a 'flexi' and getting only a semi-flex.

I have a 100N with a gold easy full flex nib...that is the stage under a wet noodle. That's down the road....and not all are that flexible. There are semi-flex and 'flexi' too....

A 200's nib should/could be either as good as a 120...or that tad better like a '90s M400 or Celebry.

I trans-mailed six of them 2 as good as the 120 and the other 4 as good as the 400-Celebry nibs. That is true springy regular flex....not the modern semi-nail of a modern 400/600.

How much 'flex' are you ready for?

I suggest working your way up the flex ladder....start with a 140 semi-flex...in it can handle a Ham Fisted writer. Three months gives you time to lighten your Hand, naturally.

The 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex needs a lighter hand....slightly ham fisted.

It would be hell to be in so much a hurry you are not ready for a 'flexi' nib and spring it.

After you have the semi-flex 140 you can get hold of Rick for a 'flexi' 400NN.

Do read my signature....about semi-flex....got 26 of them...in one German brand or another.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks so much for these answers.

Ancient Artifact, really useful but quite a bit for a beginner to take in! Where do I go about looking for a semi flex 140 and who is 'Rick' ?

Rick Propas, the US guru of Pelikan vintage pens. He sells them.

I have a black 140 OF from him.

Look him up on the membership board, or some one can link you to him.

You can go to German Ebay and look...Rick's will be 100%....in the Pelikan is a sturdy pen for something made in @ 1954 to 65.

The feed must be perfect and the collar of the feed. A picture will show the four combs/rills.

You can go onto British Ebay too. Often there are good German vintage pens sold there.

The Geha 790 is normally cheaper and is as good....it is semi-flex to 'flexi'. I have two in semi-flex and one in 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex.

Geha started making pens in 1950 and aimed at Pelikan...same city too. They were as good as Pelikan.

Make sure it is the 790 with three rings holding on the jewel.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/B6FmHUwBWkKGrHqEOKiMEyVVGG6IBMwIK6RCg_12-1.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/ice%20town/B6FmJVwB2kKGrHqEOKm4EyyFEhzKZBMwIPTRw_12.jpg

Rare '59 true three ring 790. It polished up a lot better than the picture. I figure if I buy the pen, I get the picture free. Otherwise I ask for permission. Asked twice, once for my Geha 725 and the other for my MB Virginia Woolf; got two yes's...pro's make such better pictures.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/img8418e.jpg

The school pen looks a lot like it out side the 'three rings'. There is alo a 2 ring model, that I don't have.

The 790 is a standard sized pen, like an Esterbrook or 400 Pelikan. The 140 is a medium-small pen that posts as long as the 400 or the Geha 790. German price is €25- more than likely 30-40.

The Geha school pen is as good as the Pelikan 120 for less money too (€12-19). It has numbers on it so it 'can't' be stolen. It would normally have a nice vintage springy regular flex nib; but one can get lucky...I ended up with a 'flexi' but don't count on it.

The Gehas have a reserve tank, so you can get a page or two more writing before refilling.

There is Richard and there is Rick....just about everyone else in the US pen scene has a second name.

Go to Richard Binder's com, it is the basics of fountain pens...nibs, filling systems and good advice about inks...takes 3-4 days to read it all. 93% of all I know comes from there...use to be 96%...but over 5 years one does learn a little bit.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I don't know...don't have a single M&K Pelikan. My 120 is springy regular flex...not quite as springy ...good as my '90's 400 and two Celebries.

Two of the 6 transmailed 200 nibs were as good as the 120...the other 4 as good as my '90's nibs.

The single 1000 I tested in a B&M, was what I'd call semi-flex....I've seen where others have them or tested them and to them it is springy.

It is a huge , expensive pen. The nib is 18K so it can bend and stay bent.

14 C nibs of '50's-60's don't have that problem.

It's Bo Bo.....Ancient Artifact....is a post count....like right now you are Dipped Only...later you will have other labels of posting levels.

I'd suggest having 3-4 pens in B, M, F and EF, before moving up the flex ladder....a '90's 200's nib should be a nice springy 'true' regular flex.

Some of that reasoning has to do with getting use to shading inks along with the supersaturated ones....and you need to get up to speed on paper, which is actually more important than ink.

For fiddling around with real flex...try dip pen nibs....some of them make a Wet Noodle.....look uncooked. Like a Hunt 99-100-101 or the fabled Gillette 303 or 404 that I don't have. Those you should work your way up to.

Others with less flex than that but still a respectable amount of flex....some Brause...old Soennecken, Esterbrook nibs too, that have enough flex for those moving into flex.

Lots cheaper too.

I also favor learning some of the basic strokes from stiff nib italic calligraphy. There are some six strokes that one can fancy up one's writing with when one has a nib with a bit of flex; with out over doing it.

You learn to draw the letters, so when you finally get into "Flex" nibs, you have an idea of what to do.

That kind of calligraphy has much beauty too.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

Thanks again, Bo Bo.

I see you've earned the 'Ancient Artifact' appellation with nearly 12,000 posts!

I'm going to look for a 50s or 60s vintage with gold nib: the problem seems to be knowing how much flex the nib may or may not have. It seems that buying from a dealer who knows what they are selling (and who charges correspondingly higher prices) is the only sure way.

One day I too may be an ancient artifact. I've actually been in this forum since 2007, but I've posted very infrequently, lost my original account, opened a new one, and thankfully had a moderator merge both to increase my post count.

Anyway, welcome aboard. Keep asking questions, that's how you'll learn.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.