#31 dms525

dms525

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2014 - 19:29

:yikes:  :notworthy1:  :notworthy1:  :notworthy1:   Many thanks for this most fantastic resource Ken :notworthy1:

Most grateful.

Pavoni.

+1

David

#32 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:53

Awesome stuff - thank you!

A question. You do not seem to have an issue with bumpy paper. I encounter bumps and lumps and grooves on my paper, no matter which paper I use. Do you smooth your paper in any way before writing on it?

Posted Image
Courtesy Prvt. Toter: Posted Image Posted Image

#33 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,066 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:58

Another question.

Have you considered putting these sort of clips on to a single cd/usb and selling them? They would make a wonderful resource and I would definitely want one! :thumbup:  Just to watch them is inspiring and motivational and relaxing and contenting and refreshing.

(would also stop pirating them off of youtube, not that I would do such a thing you understand :happy:  ) 

Posted Image

#34 Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Calligrapher

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:10

Stompie :

I use Mondi IQ smooth 100gsm paper for almost everything. It is intended for laserjet/inkjet printers and is perfect for the most delicate of upstroke hairlines., and it's inexpensive. It sound as though you may be using a textured paper, such as that made for watercolour(?)

I'm sure that there must be other papers out there which are just as good. I don't experiment much - if I find something I like - I stick with it!

Available at :   www.kenfrasercalligrapher.com

fpn_1396100240__sig_strip_300p.jpg

#35 Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Calligrapher

• Member - Gold

• 3,942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:15

Have you considered putting these sort of clips on to a single cd/usb and selling them? They would make a wonderful resource and I would definitely want one! :thumbup:  Just to watch them is inspiring and motivational and relaxing and contenting and refreshing.

The DVD video shown in my signature, is a commercial  venture, comprising  full alphabets (upper & lower) and short text examples of six basic styles of writing - Formal Italic, Copperplate, Gothic, Uncial, Cursive Italic & Foundational.

On the other hand, the videos posted here, are just for fun, and if others find them interesting, that's good enough for me. :)

Edited by Ken Fraser, 10 April 2014 - 08:16.

#36 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,066 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:17

#2 the Manuscript italic - are you applying pressure on your downstrokes?

Posted Image

#37 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,066 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:23

Stompie :

I use Mondi IQ smooth 100gsm paper for almost everything. It is intended for laserjet/inkjet printers and is perfect for the most delicate of upstroke hairlines., and it's inexpensive. It sound as though you may be using a textured paper, such as that made for watercolour(?)

I'm sure that there must be other papers out there which are just as good. I don't experiment much - if I find something I like - I stick with it!

Because of you, I bought a ream of that paper. However, I still find little channels and bumps and that is why I raised the question. This is mostly evident when I am using a fine nib such as a crow quill or 303.

Regarding the dvd thing, I enjoy watching the actual flow of when you are writing something, more so than an instructional dvd.
At night I like to just relax and watch handwriting clips just to soothe my brain from the days activities.
So, l think I will send you a PM on this topic ;) 

Posted Image

#38 Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Calligrapher

• Member - Gold

• 3,942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:36

#2 the Manuscript italic - are you applying pressure on your downstrokes?

No undue pressure on downstrokes. The shape of the nib does the job on its own.

As a side issue, I was interested to see that you're using the post number (#2)  for identification. It's not used much, and yet it's such  a useful way of locating items - especially as threads grow in size.

#39 Tasmith

Tasmith

Phantoms Phorever

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2014 - 21:22

Just received Ken Fraser's DVD Calligraphy by Ken Fraser and his book, Italic Variations in the mail.  All the way from Scotland in a only a week.  Can't wait to start my next chapter in learning calligraphy!

#40 TimB

TimB

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 22:56

Excellent videos.  Thanks for posting.

Question:  What nib/ink combination are you using in the Ackerman Pump Pen?

Best regards,

Tim

#41 thang1thang2

thang1thang2

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2014 - 00:37

No undue pressure on downstrokes. The shape of the nib does the job on its own.

As a side issue, I was interested to see that you're using the post number (#2)  for identification. It's not used much, and yet it's such  a useful way of locating items - especially as threads grow in size.

If you click on the number on the upper right hand corner of each post, you'll get a hyperlink to that specific number. For example, "#2" is

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/264400-penmanship-videos/?p=2954146

You can then embed that into the "#2" in the post by making a hyperlink.

[url="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/264400-penmanship-videos/?p=2954146"]#2[/url]
which will output as #2 in your post. Very handy for lazy people who can just click on the #2 to go directly to the post link :)

I'm so glad you're back, Ken. I've missed your insightful comments.

#42 Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Calligrapher

• Member - Gold

• 3,942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:23

Excellent videos.  Thanks for posting.

Question:  What nib/ink combination are you using in the Ackerman Pump Pen?

Best regards,

Tim

It was a while ago, but I'm fairly sure that it was a Gillott 303, which was my flexible nib of choice, at the time.

Now, I use Esterbrook 357 mostly. The ink was probably Quink black.

The Ackerman pump pen is a great concept, and I believe that it's been recently improved.

I had an early version, which leaked without warning. Unfortunately, it was in my pocket, at the time - I threw it away.

That was a couple of years ago. Hopefully, the design problems will have been sorted out by now. If it works, it's a great idea.

Ken

#43 Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Calligrapher

• Member - Gold

• 3,942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:32

If you click on the number on the upper right hand corner of each post, you'll get a hyperlink to that specific number. For example, "#2" is

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/264400-penmanship-videos/?p=2954146

You can then embed that into the "#2" in the post by making a hyperlink.

[url="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/264400-penmanship-videos/?p=2954146"]#2[/url]
which will output as #2 in your post. Very handy for lazy people who can just click on the #2 to go directly to the post link :)

I'm so glad you're back, Ken. I've missed your insightful comments.

Thanks!

As the site has grown, I've been noting down interesting post numbers, to quickly and easily re-locate them.

Thanks for the information :)  I'm sure that it will make re-location much easier. I'm not aware of others using this system, elsewhere on this site.

Ken

#44 The penner

The penner

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:55

Ken! I feel like I've hit a jackpot. I saw the way you hold your penholder, tried it out, and it instantly felt like magic. Words started writing themselves. Please see my copperplate thread... The new image shows progress literally made within an hour. Hope you notice an improvement as I sure have!

K.M.J

#45 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,591 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:56

Love, love all the Copperplate, business writing and Spencerian videos!

I especially appreciate the size of lettering and handwriting with a fountain pen on grid paper videos.

Miniature Copperplate on Seyes lines, Wow!

Thank you so much Ken!

I think your threads should be pinned.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?