Esterbrook Ebay Sale

ClaytonLittle

Hey everyone, I came across a pretty interesting post on Ebay. It's a set of several NOS Esterbrooks with 9550 nibs. Probably not economical for most people out there, including me, and of no real use except to a collector or trader, but I just though I'd share it since it not something you see every day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Esterbrook-Double-Jewel-Black-LJ-Bell-System-Set-of-6-Fountain-Pens-9550-NIB-/141246444070?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e2f1b226

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Charles Rice

• FarmBoy

• gregamckinney

Hey, who started the idea that collectors don't use the pens in the collection ? Does "collection" mean

""static display ?

I'm wondering whether there are four or five FPN members willing to pay $70 + shipping for a NOS

LJ Estie.

I would ink mine and use it with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Believe it or not, I don't have a skunk yet.

And, a main reason why is I'd like pristine Bell System printing on it. Those pens got used, it's usually worn.

However, I'd need a minty one to be closer to $30ish.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I don't think $50 for an NOS Bell Estie is too outrageous. The problem is the total outlay.

Sometimes it pays to be poor.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Those pens are useless. They have a collectors value when kept together, pristine and unused. But the moment you take on out and use it, it is just another $20 Esterbrook. Having Bell Systems printed on it seems to depress the value of used Esties too. I would not go near these, because I will not buy something I cannot use. And I don't consider looking at them under glass to be use.

Those pens are useless. They have a collectors value when kept together, pristine and unused. But the moment you take on out and use it, it is just another $20 Esterbrook. Having Bell Systems printed on it seems to depress the value of used Esties too. I would not go near these, because I will not buy something I cannot use. And I don't consider looking at them under glass to be use.

Amen! I agree one hundred percent. You might as well be buying one of those over-sized, cut-away models used to show the interior components. It would be just as useful. The pens themselves are probably great, but the concept under which they are being sold makes them too expensive to purchase.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

You'd think that if the seller were serious, he'd have a much lower starting bid and then see if it takes off. And it would be quite a hoot if Bell asked for them back.

And it would be quite a hoot if Bell asked for them back.

Good luck for Bell systems, which hasn't existed for 30 years now, magically coming up with an invoice that shows they actually paid for that particular box of pens.

I'd almost bet there's still a couple cases stashed away somewhere at Bell Labs in NJ.

PS; I'd also agree this case is just C-Worder fodder. Not for us normal accumulusers. :P

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I try to avoid black pens. I don't like pens with someone else's name on them. These are common enough that a number of people collect them. Black pens with someone else's name on them, common enough that a lot of people have them, for $299 NOS?

I have noticed that collectors of Esterbrook don't seem to have much regard for NOS Esterbrooks. They must be common, because the most I ever had to pay for one was about $22 for an NOS red J. Not too long ago I bought two NOS M2s in the original box with paper. Neither reached $20 in their ebay auction. I think you could buy something more interesting for two-ninety-nine.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Yeah ! I was thinking, "They look nice, together in the box." I am never gong to want six of them.

I can't see myself paying $150 for the box.

I wonder if this will be another one of those e-bay auctions that lists the sale price as $6,000.00.

You have only 9 hours left on this one! Don't everybody bid at once.

Good luck for Bell systems, which hasn't existed for 30 years now, magically coming up with an invoice that shows they actually paid for that particular box of pens.

Well, some phone company had to inherit the property.

The Bell System was essentially two entities until the feds broke it up, then it became a whole mess of baby Bells and Bell Labs. Bell Labs eventually became an independant entity and was renamed Lucent. Lucent was purchased by Alcatel. The baby Bell's have slowly merged, resplit, reorganized, etc.

My phone bill has done nothing but gone up and one of the great research labs no longer exists.

As for the pens, as a shelf-pack of NOS pens there is inherent value to someone that doesn't intend on using them. I'm relatively certain that perfectly good examples can still be found absent the packing materials and box for a lower price.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Bell Labs eventually became an independant entity and was renamed Lucent. Lucent was purchased by Alcatel. The baby Bell's have slowly merged, resplit, reorganized, etc.

I knew about Lucent, but when did they get purchased by Alcatel (I never heard of Alcatel)?

Only 5 hours left to put in your bids. LOL

and one of the great research labs no longer exists.

I am no lab expert, that's FB, but I'd argue so far as the volume of greatness to come out and it's benefit to society, they were at the top.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Black Thursday November 30, 2006

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

It didn't sell - surprise!

Well I already have one set.

Black Thursday November 30, 2006

Thanks for the history lesson! I learned quite a bit. I knew part of that, but had no idea about most of it. Very interesting history of the inventions, developments, and discoveries made by Bell Labs. Thanks again.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

It's been most educational, in several ways.

I wonder about the Ebay process. Did this cost for the listing, even though it didn't sell ?