Heat Treating Paper With An Iron..

Sach

I think it would be rather impractical to start ironing individual sheets, though I'm sure that the searing of the surface makes the surface more ink repellent!

How do you set the iron? Cotton, linnen or silk? There is no setting for paper... ;)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sach

• Inkysloth

• GUNGA GALUNGA

• ndw76

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried this with my iron and to measure the results I used a meat thermometer on the paper, In order to get the best results, I suggest that you aim for 'Pork'.

My avatar went into shock.

... In order to get the best results, I suggest that you aim for 'Pork'.My avatar went into shock.

Hilarious!

I thought the butler ironed the newspaper before presenting it to disguise the fact that he had read it first earlier in the morning. :D

It is to set the ink which otherwise rubs off on your hands as you read.

It is to set the ink which otherwise rubs off on your hands as you read.

Two birds with one stone then. ;)

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

Hi,

My experience is much in line with what you've observed and depicted. *naughty_word*

I speculate that heat drives moisture out of the paper, making it 'thirsty', so the ink will feather, spread and bleed- show-through to a greater degree.

I'm not sure if setting out those sheets in open air would readily restore the moisture balance; and even then, I wonder if heating permanently alters the paper [coating] to make it perpetually nasty.

Bye,

S1

Edit to add: Out of curiosity (aka perceived need), is there a difference as to the water resistance of the ink? And what about ironing paper after writing - any change of water resistance?

Yes. I think the searing of the surface is the predominant effect, with an observable hydro-repellence. A thin carbon film on the surface would certainly have this property..

If water content has any effect, then drying a sheet another way would also work; an example being in a dry sauna, but i don't think it will. Just a hypothesis as yet, but a gut feeling..

Edited by Sach

Once the paper cools off I'll write on it and see what I think

I can't see a difference

I also tried this experiment and couldn't see any positive results. If anything it feathered more. I don't think I will be moving on to the next step of baking notebooks to improve the paper any time soon.

Please call me Nathan. It is a pleasure to meet you.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Side bar: If you spill water on paper, book, etc, and the page becomes warped after it dries, carefully ironing with a piece of paper between the iron and the affected page can fix the problem.

Edited by Blade Runner

Try this experiment with poor quality copy paper that you know to feather quite badly. If you iron the paper leaving it on half the sheet for about 10-15 seconds, then conduct tests you'll see what I observed..

I have tried this, with mixed results. I did see a slight improvement in the feathering and bleeding, although it's by no means gone. And I also notice that over time the effect wears off a little, leading me to suspect that where it works, it's probably moisture being driven out of the fibers, and those are then flattened more. I did not get a noticeable flatter paper, if that makes sense. It's not butter-smooth to the touch, all of a sudden.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi