#31 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:53

I think all the 4001's are 'brilliant', now.  I thought so...would have bet a beer on it. :doh:

I have a brilliant black, brilliant brown,

I have an old white capped bottle of BB(black capped too) and white capped Green, violet,  Konig's blue(royal blue) no brilliant.

well im using the 4001 Royal blue also now and i really like it too it got such a nice color combined with nice shading, smooth and pleasing to write with here is the thread i made http://www.fountainp...001-royal-blue/ and there is another thread for the old one also a comparison between the old and new one here is the link also http://www.fountainp...the-blue-kings/

Edited by h.farmawi, 10 April 2014 - 11:55.

postcardde9.png

#32 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:12

When I got back to fountain pens the Royal Blue and the brilliant Black were the first two inks I got....living in Germany.

When I was a kid in the states back in Silver Dime days. I used Pelikan ink, in it was cheaper than Parker or Sheaffer.

4DM-$1 was the conversion rate then.

VW was cult...and no one in his right mind bought a small underpowered Benz or BMW (they still are small compared to a real car....'76 Lincoln Town car or a full sized GTO...the only full sized inside Euro car was the SAAB...a very fine car.).....we didn't do corners then...still don't.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#33 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:23

When I got back to fountain pens the Royal Blue and the brilliant Black were the first two inks I got....living in Germany.

When I was a kid in the states back in Silver Dime days. I used Pelikan ink, in it was cheaper than Parker or Sheaffer.

4DM-$1 was the conversion rate then.

VW was cult...and no one in his right mind bought a small underpowered Benz or BMW (they still are small compared to a real car....'76 Lincoln Town car or a full sized GTO...the only full sized inside Euro car was the SAAB...a very fine car.).....we didn't do corners then...still don't.

same as my first two inks :)
well american cars still cant do corners in a proper way :P but still big with massive engines  :)

Edited by h.farmawi, 10 April 2014 - 12:23.

postcardde9.png

#34 dneal

dneal

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 17:26

Pelikan 4001 is my go-to black.

#35 Safari_Camo

Safari_Camo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:01

Perfect for Crossword in a cheap newspaper, behaves as Noodler's  X-Feather .

#36 o2bmark

o2bmark

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 15:28

Agreed-goto reliable black ink.  I use it and aurora for my blacks.  It is probably one of the driest inks readily available and does not work in everything.  My aurora optima italic skips like crazy with 4001. If I have a too wet pen I try 4001 black to see if I can avoid putting pliers to my nib!

#37 E8x8

E8x8

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:07

I have only used 4001 Blue-Black and Royal Blue as my go-to black is Noodler's. Thanks to this thread,  I will have to try out 4001 Black.

#38 proton007

proton007

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:54

Agreed-goto reliable black ink.  I use it and aurora for my blacks.  It is probably one of the driest inks readily available and does not work in everything.  My aurora optima italic skips like crazy with 4001. If I have a too wet pen I try 4001 black to see if I can avoid putting pliers to my nib!

Yep.

This ink can lead anyone to damage their nibs. It usually starts with increasing the flow a little, and ends with a nib which writes too wet.

So, if you *only* have the 4001, better get another ink (Diamine for instance) as a reference.

The sun sets behind you, And it shines on me too
This view must be the highest beauty
And I know that light will pass, And the dark will fall
But I don't care about that now, No I don't care about that now

The days we spend, Searching, sometimes finding
If we die today, we should die smiling,
And I know these times will be gone someday, But I don't care about that now

#39 JeanManuel

JeanManuel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2014 - 18:09

Tried it 10 years ago and it was the driest ink I ever had. But you report a nice flow. Also the video about water resistance shows a rather nice flow on a Lamy 1.1mm nib. So perhaps they have improved it, or I got a bad batch, back then?
Do you know if this ink has been reformulated since 2003?

Everything is impermanent.

#40 proton007

proton007

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,119 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:42

Tried it 10 years ago and it was the driest ink I ever had. But you report a nice flow. Also the video about water resistance shows a rather nice flow on a Lamy 1.1mm nib. So perhaps they have improved it, or I got a bad batch, back then?
Do you know if this ink has been reformulated since 2003?

It flows alright, but needs a pen that writes wet. Put it in a pen with dry/adequate flow, and it will instantly highlight the nib's feedback (even scratchiness) rather than making it glide on paper.

The sun sets behind you, And it shines on me too
This view must be the highest beauty
And I know that light will pass, And the dark will fall
But I don't care about that now, No I don't care about that now

The days we spend, Searching, sometimes finding
If we die today, we should die smiling,
And I know these times will be gone someday, But I don't care about that now

#41 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2014 - 15:01

i inked my Sheaffer 300 M nib with it about a week ago filled it twice till now and its all fine .

postcardde9.png

#42 theverdictis

theverdictis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2014 - 16:55

Nice to see it doesn't feather on the 'cheap paper'  :)

Ben

letterji9.png

#43 RodgerM

RodgerM

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:06

Never actually used this ink in a fountain pen, but it makes a terrific dip pen ink by adding 1 1/2 oz of Brilliant Black to 1 heaping teaspoon of powdered Gum Arabic.  This is the recipe that Mr. Bill Lilly uses.  Great for Spencerian and English Roundhand.  Very fine hairlines.

#44 Albinoni

Albinoni

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:25

Is this black darker than Montblanc mystery black or even Aurora black

#45 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:12

Is this black darker than Montblanc mystery black or even Aurora black

didnt try any of those but i dont think there is more darker inks, maybe... i dont know :D.

postcardde9.png

#46 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:18

found this review for the Permanent MB Black http://www.fountainp...ermanent-black/
from the pictures i see that the Pelikan BB is darker.
dont know about the mystery black or even Aurora black

postcardde9.png

#47 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:32

Filled my Platignum Pressmatic with it today and this ink writes flows well with Flex nibsuzi5.jpg

postcardde9.png

#48 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:17

Aurora is blacker...before Noodler inks Pelikan was second blackest.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#49 Reygan

Reygan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2014 - 13:06

This is my first black ink, and my go-to black ink as well. Cheap, reliable, great for writing boring official documents.

#50 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,719 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2014 - 17:03

The thing about Pelikan's use of the term "Billiant" goes like this:

(1) they use it for their black, red, green, and brown, but not for their royal blue, blue-black, violet, and turquoise. Black, red, green, and brown are not issued (also) as "non"-brilliant, and royal blue, blue-black, violet, and turquoise are not available as "brilliant" versions. That all applies to their 4001 series in 30-ml bottles.

(2) the same also apples to their 4001s which also come in 50-ml bottles with the ledge for a pen, but only for the royal blue and brilliant black. The other colours are not available in those 50-ml bottles.

(3) FWIW, their web site does say "Brilliant" but the bottles' labels and boxes sometimes -- but not always -- say e.g. Brilliant Red and Brillant-Rot ("brillant" being the French and German versions of that adjective.

(4) all of the above rubbish is the situation here in good ol' Yermany but may not apply to the ourtside world.

Whew!

Main thing is that you've got them all, I mean for that price....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#51 JeanManuel

JeanManuel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:13

Main thing is that you've got them all, I mean for that price....

Indeed. You can get it as low as 27€/L... (e.g. the 1L bottles on amazon. Well then you'd have to share with friends :) ...)

Edited by JeanManuel, 29 April 2014 - 07:14.

Everything is impermanent.

#52 theverdictis

theverdictis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2014 - 16:31

Today i got myself a Pelikan 4001 Brillant Black 30ml ink bottle im using it with a Parker 45 F Nib, such a nice ink very smooth flowing.
here is some pictures :

veln.jpg93cd.jpg

Really nice ink. Thanks for the pics.

Ben

letterji9.png

#53 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:12

Really nice ink. Thanks for the pics.

Ben

Thanks Sir. :)

postcardde9.png

#54 indigoskye

indigoskye

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2014 - 22:48

This was the first black ink I used for my fountain pens.  I never bought a bottle, but I have a box or two of carts with it.  It is nice and dark, inexpensive, and I find that if I use it with a fine nib, I can write in my moleskine with it successfully.  Lately, I've been thinking of picking up a 30ml bottle of it.  It is a nice all-purpose ink for daily writing.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham
No Wasted Ink

#55 Surain Kanaparan

Surain Kanaparan

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:05

I changed from Quink Black to Pelikan almost 2 years ago as Parker inks started getting expensive. 4001 brilliant black is simply awesome and reasonably priced.

#56 fasthall

fasthall

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:06

4001 black is my first bottled ink too.

But I'm considering Noodler's black if I want to buy black ink next time.

#57 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:13

I changed from Quink Black to Pelikan almost 2 years ago as Parker inks started getting expensive. 4001 brilliant black is simply awesome and reasonably priced.

i agree the Parker Quink is Double the price!

postcardde9.png

#58 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:14

4001 black is my first bottled ink too.

But I'm considering Noodler's black if I want to buy black ink next time.

my second Black was the Sheaffer Skrip...also a nice ink!

postcardde9.png

#59 Kyburo

Kyburo

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:17

Yep.

This ink can lead anyone to damage their nibs. It usually starts with increasing the flow a little, and ends with a nib which writes too wet.

So, if you *only* have the 4001, better get another ink (Diamine for instance) as a reference.

Sorry I'm not sure what exactly you mean? Currently Brilliant Black 4001 is my go-to black, and doing exams at the moment which require black ink, all my pens are loaded with it just in case I have to switch on the spot. This includes Pilot fine and Pelikan fine which are vastly different widths!

I'm wondering though are you saying that this ink can in some way damage pens, through greater friction on finer (dryer) writing pens or the ink itself is doing something, or just people who take pliers to their nibs? :P

Just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid.

Go-to-pen: Custom74/Twsbi 580

#60 carlos.q

carlos.q

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,007 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:39

As has been said many times, all inks are not created equal. Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black is an excellent, well behaved and water resistant ink. It excels in wet writers such as Pelikans and others.

The problem arises when someone pretends to use a dry ink with a dry writer. The result is usually poor flow and a lighter grayish color. The answer is not to fiddle around with the nibs but to use a wetter ink such as Aurora.