#22 Ron_L

Ron_L

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2014 - 22:22

I love my Pelikan brilliant black.  It also was my first bottle of ink.  Not only is it loaded in my Pelikan M150, but I just cleaned my Hero 704 and loaded it with the brilliant black.  It writes so smooth, it makes me want to smack somebody!  lol  Just kidding.  But it does write just wonderfully nice.

#23 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:44

Check out this water resistance test:

http://www.fountainp...ck-water-tests/

Wow, Thank you!

#24 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:45

I've not heard the term brilliant black before.  Is this an updated term for Pelikan's black?

#25 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:03

fyi, Pelikan Brilliant Black is the same stuff as Cross Black ink. Just packaged in a different bottle. Good stuff - reliable, basic, inexpensive.

#26 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:09

Check out this water resistance test:

http://www.fountainp...ck-water-tests/

Wow, Thank you!

i think i dont need to try it now :D

postcardde9.png

#27 MarneM

MarneM

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:10

I use a bottle of this at work. It's reasonably priced, flows well, and is even reasonably water resistant ... In case I get the urge to soak a statement in water. :-) It does fine on my cheap office paper too.
"Wer schweigt, stimmt zu."

#28 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:12

I love my Pelikan brilliant black.  It also was my first bottle of ink.  Not only is it loaded in my Pelikan M150, but I just cleaned my Hero 704 and loaded it with the brilliant black.  It writes so smooth, it makes me want to smack somebody!  lol  Just kidding.  But it does write just wonderfully nice.

please try to stay alone in a closed room when you write with this ink for peoples safety ;D

postcardde9.png

#29 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:14

fyi, Pelikan Brilliant Black is the same stuff as Cross Black ink. Just packaged in a different bottle. Good stuff - reliable, basic, inexpensive.

I use a bottle of this at work. It's reasonably priced, flows well, and is even reasonably water resistant ... In case I get the urge to soak a statement in water. :-) It does fine on my cheap office paper too.

i agree for the price its such an incredible ink

postcardde9.png

#30 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:42

I think all the 4001's are 'brilliant', now.  I thought so...would have bet a beer on it. :doh:

I have a brilliant black, brilliant brown,

I have an old white capped bottle of BB(black capped too) and white capped Green, violet,  Konig's blue(royal blue) no brilliant.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#31 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:53

I think all the 4001's are 'brilliant', now.  I thought so...would have bet a beer on it. :doh:

I have a brilliant black, brilliant brown,

I have an old white capped bottle of BB(black capped too) and white capped Green, violet,  Konig's blue(royal blue) no brilliant.

well im using the 4001 Royal blue also now and i really like it too it got such a nice color combined with nice shading, smooth and pleasing to write with here is the thread i made http://www.fountainp...001-royal-blue/ and there is another thread for the old one also a comparison between the old and new one here is the link also http://www.fountainp...the-blue-kings/

Edited by h.farmawi, 10 April 2014 - 11:55.

postcardde9.png

#32 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:12

When I got back to fountain pens the Royal Blue and the brilliant Black were the first two inks I got....living in Germany.

When I was a kid in the states back in Silver Dime days. I used Pelikan ink, in it was cheaper than Parker or Sheaffer.

4DM-$1 was the conversion rate then.

VW was cult...and no one in his right mind bought a small underpowered Benz or BMW (they still are small compared to a real car....'76 Lincoln Town car or a full sized GTO...the only full sized inside Euro car was the SAAB...a very fine car.).....we didn't do corners then...still don't.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#33 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:23

When I got back to fountain pens the Royal Blue and the brilliant Black were the first two inks I got....living in Germany.

When I was a kid in the states back in Silver Dime days. I used Pelikan ink, in it was cheaper than Parker or Sheaffer.

4DM-$1 was the conversion rate then.

VW was cult...and no one in his right mind bought a small underpowered Benz or BMW (they still are small compared to a real car....'76 Lincoln Town car or a full sized GTO...the only full sized inside Euro car was the SAAB...a very fine car.).....we didn't do corners then...still don't.

same as my first two inks :)
well american cars still cant do corners in a proper way :P but still big with massive engines  :)

Edited by h.farmawi, 10 April 2014 - 12:23.

postcardde9.png

#34 dneal

dneal

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 17:26

Pelikan 4001 is my go-to black.

#35 Safari_Camo

Safari_Camo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:01

Perfect for Crossword in a cheap newspaper, behaves as Noodler's  X-Feather .

#36 o2bmark

o2bmark

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 15:28

Agreed-goto reliable black ink.  I use it and aurora for my blacks.  It is probably one of the driest inks readily available and does not work in everything.  My aurora optima italic skips like crazy with 4001. If I have a too wet pen I try 4001 black to see if I can avoid putting pliers to my nib!

#37 E8x8

E8x8

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:07

I have only used 4001 Blue-Black and Royal Blue as my go-to black is Noodler's. Thanks to this thread,  I will have to try out 4001 Black.

#38 proton007

proton007

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,213 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:54

Agreed-goto reliable black ink.  I use it and aurora for my blacks.  It is probably one of the driest inks readily available and does not work in everything.  My aurora optima italic skips like crazy with 4001. If I have a too wet pen I try 4001 black to see if I can avoid putting pliers to my nib!

Yep.

This ink can lead anyone to damage their nibs. It usually starts with increasing the flow a little, and ends with a nib which writes too wet.

So, if you *only* have the 4001, better get another ink (Diamine for instance) as a reference.

Soon I'll have the courage
To leave my thoughts behind
I'll give back all the knowledge
And keep the wisdom precious in my mind

#39 JeanManuel

JeanManuel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2014 - 18:09

Tried it 10 years ago and it was the driest ink I ever had. But you report a nice flow. Also the video about water resistance shows a rather nice flow on a Lamy 1.1mm nib. So perhaps they have improved it, or I got a bad batch, back then?
Do you know if this ink has been reformulated since 2003?

Everything is impermanent.

#40 proton007

proton007

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,213 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:42

Tried it 10 years ago and it was the driest ink I ever had. But you report a nice flow. Also the video about water resistance shows a rather nice flow on a Lamy 1.1mm nib. So perhaps they have improved it, or I got a bad batch, back then?
Do you know if this ink has been reformulated since 2003?

It flows alright, but needs a pen that writes wet. Put it in a pen with dry/adequate flow, and it will instantly highlight the nib's feedback (even scratchiness) rather than making it glide on paper.

Soon I'll have the courage
To leave my thoughts behind
I'll give back all the knowledge
And keep the wisdom precious in my mind