Buying Another Pelikan, Which One?

MX5l

Hi everyone, I need your help with a bit of an odd comparison. Having lost my M205 DUO ( :crybaby: ) I'd like to replace it with another Pelikan. I don't want to spend too much on it and I'm capping the budget at roughly $100AUD and should probably point out that I don't really want to replace it with another M20X pen. So far the only pens this inexpensive I can find are the M100 and the MK series pens (most likely MK10). I understand that these are two very different pens, but if people would be willing to post their thoughts on either pen and possibly add some pictures, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MX5l

• Runnin_Ute

• Bo Bo Olson

• Ernst Bitterman

What is it about the M2xx pens you don't like? Was it the nib in your M205 Duo? Or something else?

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

There's nothing I actually disliked about the pen to be honest, I was even kind of charmed by the massive lines the BB nib put down. I hope I'm not treading on any toes when I say this, but while the M205 I had ticked all the boxes, it just didn't feel particularly...special? Make no mistake, the pen was excellent to write with and was a very good size, weight, etc, I just never really had the urge to put it into my rotation and never really loved it so to speak.

I'd look for a 140; the mechanism is essentially modern, so moderate regular maintenance will keep it in trim indefinitely, and the vintage points are very nice.

If you're looking as something like the MK10, I'd suggest a slight elevation; try for an M20 or M30. The steel point in the MK10 is rather stiff, which the others are springy to the point that one might even call them semi-flex. Check it out:

http://ravensmarch.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/pelikan-0408ws1.jpg

http://ravensmarch.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/pelikan-0473ws1.jpg

The one drawback to this whole line is that the feeds are VERY simple, so you have to be careful about eyedropper-style dribbling when they get to the end of their fill.

You might also look into the 140, which is a lot more typically Pelikan shaped, has essentially modern feeds and fillers, but a more vintage sensibility to the point. The drawback there is the threaded collar the holding the point/feed are notorious for falling to bits.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I don't know anything about the MK 10 but if the M205 didn't float your boat, I doubt you will get that 'special' feeling with a M100. Your $100 budget really limits your options. I agree with Ernst that a 140 would be a good choice but finding a decent pen for $100 could take you some time.

The only other alternative that comes to mind is a 120. You should be able to find a good gently used or NOS model foer $100 or less. The nibs are nothing special (for that you will need to spec up to the 140 and frankly I think the nib is where the special feeling arrives) But the 120 does have the standard Pelikan features: removeable nib, piston filler, and classic Pelikan look and feel, plus you will be starting off with a vintage Pelikan,for what it is worth.

Good luck, and don't forget to let us know what you come up with.

There's nothing I actually disliked about the pen to be honest, I was even kind of charmed by the massive lines the BB nib put down. I hope I'm not treading on any toes when I say this, but while the M205 I had ticked all the boxes, it just didn't feel particularly...special? Make no mistake, the pen was excellent to write with and was a very good size, weight, etc, I just never really had the urge to put it into my rotation and never really loved it so to speak.

Fair enough.

I have a 120 Merz & Krell from the early '70's that is wonderful.Mine was NOS and I paid under $100. (it and a like new M205 for $120 shipped!) I have been looking for a 140 myself. I love the look of them.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The nibs of the 140 are semi-flex.

Those of the out of budget '50's 400, 400N and 400NN can be semi-flex or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex depending on your luck.

the '83-97 M400 is a great pen with a nib as good as the 200's or a tad better....2 of the 200 nibs that I transmailed were as good as the 120....4 as good as my '90's pens.

If you are looking for a thin metal Large pen with a very good nib like a '90's springy true regular flex nibs, a Celebry is a very good pen. I have one in green marbled and gold, with gold nib that is very pretty. I also have a black and chrome one with a steel nib....both nibs are =.

I got the green marbled pen for €35 on German Ebay.

Go to Rudiger's Pelikan Com...to take a look at the many Pelikans.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi everyone, I need your help with a bit of an odd comparison. Having lost my M205 DUO ( :crybaby: ) I'd like to replace it with another Pelikan. I don't want to spend too much on it and I'm capping the budget at roughly $100AUD and should probably point out that I don't really want to replace it with another M20X pen. So far the only pens this inexpensive I can find are the M100 and the MK series pens (most likely MK10). I understand that these are two very different pens, but if people would be willing to post their thoughts on either pen and possibly add some pictures, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

TBH, $100 will be tight. If you can stretch your budget to $150, you can easily get a 400/400NN, or an old style M400.

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

How about the black and white 'stormtrooper' M100? there's one on the 'bay for $69 new, they are really neat looking.

@arts_nibs

How about the black and white 'stormtrooper' M100? there's one on the 'bay for $69 new, they are really neat looking.

They do look pretty neat, and it was the pen I had in mind when posting this topic :lol:

TBH, $100 will be tight. If you can stretch your budget to $150, you can easily get a 400/400NN, or an old style M400.

No big deal, if I wait till next week I can probably stretch the budget to that point :)

If I'm going vintage, it seems like it's actually worth spending a bit more to get something very special.

The nibs of the 140 are semi-flex.

Those of the out of budget '50's 400, 400N and 400NN can be semi-flex or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex depending on your luck.

the '83-97 M400 is a great pen with a nib as good as the 200's or a tad better....2 of the 200 nibs that I transmailed were as good as the 120....4 as good as my '90's pens.

If you are looking for a thin metal Large pen with a very good nib like a '90's springy true regular flex nibs, a Celebry is a very good pen. I have one in green marbled and gold, with gold nib that is very pretty. I also have a black and chrome one with a steel nib....both nibs are =.

I got the green marbled pen for €35 on German Ebay.

Go to Rudiger's Pelikan Com...to take a look at the many Pelikans.

I can't seem to find many Celebrys on the Australian/US/UK ebay and the ones that are, are going for well over $200. That said, a vintage M400 is sounding like a pretty great idea, since I was planning to get a modern M400 at some point anyway, two birds with one stone.

Edited by MX5l

Sorry to bump a dead thread, but I have a question. How does the M100 feel compared to the M200? Is it significantly lighter? Does the plastic feel cheap? How would you compare the pen to something like the Lamy Safari in terms of construction?

M100 has solid construction but it is very light and feels noticeably smaller when compared to the M200. I have larger hands and the M200 fits me perfectly but I can still use the M100 without difficulty. It's definitely smaller than the Safari but I don't think it's any less durable with regular use.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I'm actually considering an M205 now. I understand I wasn't really all that keen for one earlier, but some of the models are really quite nice (Toledo Red, Blue Demonstrator, Taupe). I think if the M100 feels noticeably smaller than the M205, it might be just a bit too small for me. Just trying to toss up between an M205 and a MK10 now. The MK10 looks nice in my opinion, much cheaper and I'd be getting to try something different. Plus, it seems to at least have similar features to the M205 in that it's also a piston filler, made of plastic and has a steel nib. Hmmmmm...

Edited by MX5l

I don't have an M100, but I do have a Toledo Red M205 and a black M150

In looking at the photos above the M150 and M100 are the same size. (122 mm) The M205 is 125 mm.

I write primarily unposted, don't have particularly large hands, I do have to make slight adjustments in how I hold the M150 versus the M205. Again this is unposted.

Brad

The smallest pen I own is a Sailor Sapporo, can't imagine using anything smaller to be honest. I'll be buying something this Thursday, just finding it difficult to choose between the M205, M215 and the MK10. I can't seem to find an old 400/400NN/M400 for around the $150 mark on eBay so I say it might just be down to the M205, M215 and MK10.

EDIT: I can grab an M215 Lozenge for $110! I think I'll be ordering it tomorrow night AND the MK10 which I've had bookmarked for quite some time :yikes:

Edited by MX5l

Living in Germany I use German Ebay.....and it looks like I got a hell of a deal at €35. green marbled, gold nib.

Old auctions show €12-18-37-42...for gold caps 50-70 Euro....not counting mail.

Take your time...get one of the prettier ones....if you need help PM me and I'll see if they take pay pall and mail outside of Germany.

Go to Rudigier's com and look at which one you really want. Rudiger has a history of Pelikan pens so you can see what was made.

I really wanted that marbled green one more than the plain green one.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Living in Germany I use German Ebay.....and it looks like I got a hell of a deal at €35. green marbled, gold nib.

Old auctions show €12-18-37-42...for gold caps 50-70 Euro....not counting mail.

Take your time...get one of the prettier ones....if you need help PM me and I'll see if they take pay pall and mail outside of Germany.

Go to Rudigier's com and look at which one you really want. Rudiger has a history of Pelikan pens so you can see what was made.

I really wanted that marbled green one more than the plain green one.

German eBay sure sounds like a wonderful place :lol:

I bought the MK10+BP set that was listed here on the classifieds and bought an M215 Lozenge from melpens for a pretty epic price. Will update the thread when they arrive :D