Which Ink Would You Buy Just For The Bottle?

shumanfu

Cute as decoration, and usually contains scented ink, but you can't fill fromthe bottle with a pen.

Guilty.

The ink wasn't scented. Not one dang pen fit in the bottle and I'm still frustrated. I dumped the ink into a more useful bottle and now it contains colored water.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Potions_Cabinet/slides/IMG002.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• shumanfu

• Scrawler

• Francis_Rex

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice selection of law books Amber.

Edited by strictlyobiter

Visconti

attachicon.gifVisconti-Ink.jpg

I have a couple of these Visconti inks... the inks themselves are nothing special, and the bottle is plastic! Search for the older Visconti bottles for sure!

Visconti

attachicon.gifVisconti-Ink.jpg

I bought a couple of these Visconti inks because the bottles were so cool, only to find out that the bottles were plastic. Search for the older Visconti bottles; they're glass.

The Graf von Faber-Castel inks are beautiful:

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/11277_1_garnetred.png

If you're going to spend $30 (plus shipping) on a bottle of ink, it should at least be beautiful. (The ink is really nice too. :)

Edited by videopope

Akkerman (of course)

Sanford's Penit

These small, 3/4 oz. glass bottles take me back to my childhood when this and Sheaffer were my go-to inks.

The Penit ink itself isn't all that, but the bottles bring on flashbacks.

Picasso

I encountered Picasso ink in bottles in Beijing a couple of years ago and now regret that I didn't buy more it was so inexpensive (tho' pricier than most of the other Chinese ink I saw over there). The glass Picasso bottles are very similar to the old Parker Penman containers except they're oval (vs. round). They have a Picasso-esque image under a transparent plastic button on the cap plus a well inside to facilitate filling. You can get them a few places on Ebay--eg.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Picasso-Glass-Bottle-Fountain-Pen-Ink-Black-FREE-SHIPPING-with-TRACKING-NUMBER-/301052998763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461828346b

(no connex)

The ink's ok--nothing special; but the bottle's nice.

Nice selection of law books Amber.

Tee hee .. the law books are in the law library which has been gutted and now holds a computer and super big printer and only the books that were never converted. The books in my ink cabinet are ones I use or I love and would hunt down the person who took them.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I bought a couple of these Visconti inks because the bottles were so cool, only to find out that the bottles were plastic. Search for the older Visconti bottles; they're glass.

The Graf von Faber-Castel inks are beautiful:

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/11277_1_garnetred.png

If you're going to spend $30 (plus shipping) on a bottle of ink, it should at least be beautiful. (The ink is really nice too. :)

Oh dang. You got me. Sigh.

Akkerman (of course)

Sanford's Penit

These small, 3/4 oz. glass bottles take me back to my childhood when this and Sheaffer were my go-to inks.

The Penit ink itself isn't all that, but the bottles bring on flashbacks.

Picasso

I encountered Picasso ink in bottles in Beijing a couple of years ago and now regret that I didn't buy more it was so inexpensive (tho' pricier than most of the other Chinese ink I saw over there). The glass Picasso bottles are very similar to the old Parker Penman containers except they're oval (vs. round). They have a Picasso-esque image under a transparent plastic button on the cap plus a well inside to facilitate filling. You can get them a few places on Ebay--eg.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Picasso-Glass-Bottle-Fountain-Pen-Ink-Black-FREE-SHIPPING-with-TRACKING-NUMBER-/301052998763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461828346b

(no connex)

The ink's ok--nothing special; but the bottle's nice.

OH my, I've looked at both of these on ebay and restrained myself. I see purchases for the future.

I already had several bottles of now vintage Skrip ink (I bought them new) but one day when no one was looking I bought 9 bottles of the vintage black. I NEVER use black, but the bottles were worth as much as I paid. I gave them out as gifts to other FPNers and they thought I was a big spender. :) Those bottles are worth buying.

Does it count if I have saved bottles because they are great for inking?

• 3 weeks later...

They've arrived!

http://i.imgur.com/rFti0Mc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cNT05hv.jpg

I ended up gifting the number 30 blackish purplish ink to a friend so cant do an ink sample. Nice and packaged snuggly in a plastic bag and foam filler.

Edited by shumanfu

+1 for Faber-Castell, got the Moss Green because I fell in love with the bottle. It was a nice surprise that the ink is gorgeous as well.

Also got Marie- Antoinette ink by J.Herbin entirely for the bottle (I already had a normal bottle of Rose Cyclamen, still almost-full...)

fpn_1398470349__marie_antoinette.jpg

fpn_1398470550__maink2.jpg

I have no idea what y'all are going on about.

14034040413_1e7b57f22b_c.jpg

The bottles are nice but the vintage school desk is awesome!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Recently brought a J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite, just for the bottle, haven't to much intention to use the ink, although its have a nice color.

Damn... seeing all these gorgeous ink bottles really makes me wish I lived somewhere else, in a town with a stationer's. There is nothing like that here and I don't really want to do all my shopping online. I'd love to be able to see the bottles, the pens... to touch the bottles, hold the pens. *sigh*

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

I've bought Akkerman #9 for the beautiful big bottle, but I've ended up liking the ink much more than expected.
Buying my first Iroshizuku was partly because of the bottle, but now I can feel they are praised for a reason.

The Sailor Kingdom note series inks are my latest love bottles vise...
I don't know much about the inks though...I should ask around a little.

Thanks.

It is an American Seating desk, circa 1880. It came out of a local small college.

It's a great desk and a terrific selection of inks.

I've bought Akkerman #9 for the beautiful big bottle, but I've ended up liking the ink much more than expected.

Buying my first Iroshizuku was partly because of the bottle, but now I can feel they are praised for a reason.

The Sailor Kingdom note series inks are my latest love bottles vise...

I don't know much about the inks though...I should ask around a little.

Saskia_Madding has some great reviews on these.

I wouldn't buy ink just for the bottle. I happen to particularly like Visconti Blue and the bottle is a bonus, as I managed to get a glass one some time ago and now just keep filling from the plastic ones...

The two bottles I really like are the Akkerman bottles and the Pilot 70 mL bottles.

. . .

I don't much care for the Pilot inks (I prefer Noodler's Black) but, I love the bottle. It's just tall enough for any pen. It has a plastic insert like the Sailor bottles, but my pens actually fit into it and get a full fill. Right now, I have one of these bottles and keep Noodler's Black in it. I'm considering buying more, but I hate to waste the ink inside or even force myself to use the ink.

I got a 60 ml bottle of blue, but fortunately like the ink as well. Cheaper than the TWSBI bottles, better looking in my opinion, and comes full of ink.