What Ink To Replace Iron Gall Blue Black?

Blade Runner

Thank you for the link to the ESSRI's UK site.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• cellmatrix

• tinta

• KJY

I was reading some reviews of Pellikan blue black. It isn't iron gall or archival, but it seems to have pretty decent water resistance, the color and flow properties are similar to MB iron gall BB, and it's readily available in the USA.

I second the Pelikan blue black is a good choice. The jury is still out for the MB permanent line.

I think pelikan 4001 blue black does have some iron gall in it. There are some threads here which support this and I'm pretty sensitive to the smell of iron gall and I notice it in this ink. Overall it's not as vivid as the dc'd montblanc midnight blue ( or ESSRI ) but it's a pretty good and inexpensive alternative. Problem is you can't purchase it in the us.

I think pelikan 4001 blue black does have some iron gall in it. There are some threads here which support this and I'm pretty sensitive to the smell of iron gall and I notice it in this ink. Overall it's not as vivid as the dc'd montblanc midnight blue ( or ESSRI ) but it's a pretty good and inexpensive alternative. Problem is you can't purchase it in the us.

I didnot know Pel Bb is no longer available in the Us. I wonder why?

I didnot know Pel Bb is no longer available in the Us. I wonder why?

Not sure, here is the FPN thread on the subject but its all speculation. Anyway, you can still get it here in the US, its just a little more difficult. Probably your best bet is Amazon, where there is a japanese company who sells Pel BB for around $20 a bottle shipped. If you google japan, pelikan blue black and amazon, you should find them straightaway. I've ordered from them before and have been pretty happy with them.

Apparently Pelikan 4001 Blue Black has something in its formulation that doesn't meet US Toxic Substances Control Act regulations. Pelikan chose to cease importing the ink into the US as a result. It remains available in the rest of the world.

European regulations on chemicals are often tougher than the US equivalents, so this was a surprise to me.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/196276-pelikan-blue-black-discontinued-in-the-u-s/ is the previous thread on this topic.

Thanks for all that information! I suppose they are trustworthy given they deal in the ecclesiastical. :)

My God I hope so ! Hey I may have a part used bottle of MB blue / black somewhere. Will drop you a pm when / if I locate it.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Pharmacist's iron gall inks are awesome. Waterproof and well behaved, the colors are terrific. Purpura Imperialis is fairly sober, but Darkening Absinthe is a interesting Forrest green when dry, and Terra Incinerata, is a cool chocolate brown and sepia - quite unique for iron gall ink. It is fun just watching them dry.

Carlos.q posted this link in another thread about Pelikan brilliant black showing its impressive water resistance! OK, it's not blue black, but it could work for me, and I assume it's readily available still in the USA.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/220120-pelikan-brilliant-black-water-tests/

I don't know how the old Midnight Blue used to be, but I bought a bottle of Diamine Registrars Ink, just to see what an iron gall ink is all about. :)

Holding the paper under running water for a couple of seconds didn't cause any noticeable change in color, nor any feathering. Maybe a longer soak would make a difference, but I didn't feel the need to go any further, as it already looked as waterproof as I'll ever need it to be.

It dries to a color which, at least to my eyes, is virtually indistinguishable from the current version of Midnight Blue (non-IG).

Edited by Vlad Soare

• 2 weeks later...

How about Lamy blue black. Iron gall? Good or bad ink?

I always thought it was IG, but the specs on goulet pen's site said it isn't.

Edited by Blade Runner

My favourite MB ink is definitely the old Midnight Blue with iron-gall. Have been using mine in my 149 and sheaffer Imperial TD on a daily basis as part of my 3 pen rotation for the past year. I shall buy another two or 3 or 5 bottles I think, before it is all sold out. I am also looking for a suitable replacement for this beautiful unique ink that darkens upon drying. Will give the diamine registar's ink a go. I do like diamine inks.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

The little bottle can be found @ Goulet's.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I have a 3/4 full bottle of MB permanent blue-black. It came a couple of days ago with a 'good condition' 146 that was well clogged and had a nearly seized piston. It took some serious flushing to get things moving - the ammonia flush came out dirty brown and I had to remove the piston to get some really stubborn residue off the ink window. I stopped shy at taking the nib out. Another 146 rescued :D - assuming the seals are good.

I do not trust myself to stick to a regular and frequent flushing regime and as I don't need permanent, I guess I won't be using this ink ...

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

Re: MB iron gall maintenance.

I use the pen filled with this ink frequently, so the periodic refilling is all I need for maintenance.

When I had a pen filled with this ink and didn't use it often, I would empty and e-fill once a month even if it wasn't empty.

I never had a problem with this regimen. Not very difficult.

Edited by Blade Runner