Certificate Signing - Advice Needed

pinkbulldog

My husband is in charge of distributing three certificate awards. He does not have time to hire a professional calligrapher and has asked me to write their names and dates. I am no calligrapher, but, if I write slowly, I have pretty handwriting. So, here are my questions:

1. Is attractive handwriting sufficient for most certificates?

2. What color ink should be used?

3. I have no facility with dip pens, but I do have fountain pens with italic nibs. Would any of the following options suffice?

- Pilot 78g (B), Safaris with 1.1 or 1.5 nibs, Pilot Parallel with a 2.5 nib (loaded with Pilot Black), and cursive italic nibs from Richard Binder (.8) and Pendleton Brown (@ 1.1). The Binder CI gives my crispest lines.

4. I have Diamine's Registrar's Ink, which I really like because of the dry time. I also have most of the Waterman Inks. For a beautiful blue, I have Diamine Majestic Blue. The only waterproof black I have is Noodler's Black, but I'd be afraid to use it because it never seems to dry. I have Waterman and Aurora Black.

Here's the biggest problem, there are no extras, so I can't make a mistake.

I would be grateful for any advice.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pinkbulldog

• caliken

• ac12

• New_Falcon

I do a lot of certificate signing, so this may be of help.

I don't think that you can go wrong with black ink. Waterproof isn't necessary and Aurora is a great choice.

To avoid mistakes, there is really no option. Assuming that the names have to be centred, write them out in your chosen style on a spare piece of paper. Place the paper above the writing line, and copy it in position.

I hope that this helps.

Ken

1. Is attractive handwriting sufficient for most certificates?

> It can be ether printed or cursive, as you desire to match or not match the type on the certificate. I've seen certificates with both matching and non-matching writing.

> I personally think there is less chance for an error by printing. But it takes longer to print, so that could introduce errors also.

> If you print, determine if you will use all upper case or mix upper and lower.

> Then do whichever way you feel you will be more accurate.

2. What color ink should be used?

> As mentioned black is a safe choice.

3. I have no facility with dip pens, but I do have fountain pens with italic nibs. Would any of the following options suffice?

- Pilot 78g ( B), Safaris with 1.1 or 1.5 nibs, Pilot Parallel with a 2.5 nib (loaded with Pilot Black), and cursive italic nibs from Richard Binder (.8) and Pendleton Brown (@ 1.1). The Binder CI gives my crispest lines.

> Depending on how much space you have to work with, a think a 1.1 italic nib would do fine. If you have more space then the 1.5. I think 2.5 is too big. If you are cramped for space then drop down to the 0.8.

> Practice on a piece of paper to see how the names look with the different nibs, then select the one that looks and fits best, leaving enough room to not look cramped.

> You need to look for the LONGEST name, as that will be the one that will give you the trouble fitting into a space.

> Same with the date.

> You could mix sizes, use a 1.5 for the name and a 1.1 for the date. I've seen that done.

4. I have Diamine's Registrar's Ink, which I really like because of the dry time. I also have most of the Waterman Inks. For a beautiful blue, I have Diamine Majestic Blue. The only waterproof black I have is Noodler's Black, but I'd be afraid to use it because it never seems to dry. I have Waterman and Aurora Black.

> I would use either Waterman or Aurora.

> Pelikan black is another option. Pelikan is a dry ink so less likely to feather than Waterman. I do not know how Aurora behaves.

> Certificates are not expected to get wet, so no worries about using a washable ink.

Here's the biggest problem, there are no extras, so I can't make a mistake.

> Unfortunate because one of the problems is, you do not know how your ink will behave on the certificate. You don't want the ink to feather. Normally I would test the ink and pen combo on the paper that I would use, and change if necessary to get a nice ink line.

Here is one idea. Find a place where you will do a vertical stroke, like the M in May. Get a pen with the desired ink Aurora, or Waterman, and CAREFULLY make a short stroke. Then look to see if the ink feathers or not. Do the same with the other black ink. Pick the one that does not feather. When you write the M you will cover the test strokes.

> As Ken said, write the name on a piece of paper. That gives you a chance to practice that name, as well as determine how long it is, so you can center the name. And don't be afraid to write the name several time, to get it to look like what you want.

> Get a HARD pencil and draw very light guide lines where you will write the name and date. This will help keep the writing level and of the same size.

After the ink dries, use a white eraser to carefully erase the pencil lines.

> Take breaks often, don't keep going at it, because when you are tired is when you make mistakes.

gud luk

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Ken and ac12, thank you so much for your advice. I will take it, along with a deep breath.

My only comment is make sure the ink is non fading. I have two certificates that are important to me and hang on my wall. On one the signatures are almost completely faded off and the other was done in nice calligraphy but my name and date, that they took such care to write out, are almost gone by fading out in the light.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

ps Tell your husband to kick the guy that did not order spare certificates.

www.SFPenShow.com

I forgot to add that, if I'm doing work where there is only one go at it, I do it late at night, when the phone won't ring, and no one will come to the door to interrupt me. I also switch off the television and radio to avoid distracting speech.

Ken

Edited by Ken Fraser

Is there anyway that you could get colour copies made and practice on those first? That way you could see the effect of the pen and ink colour choice.

The worry is if the ink chosen doesn't get on well with the paper and if you make a mistake.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

Good luck. I hope they turn out like you want.

No advice, as I have exactly zero experience myself.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I am very grateful to all of you for your generous sharing of knowledge and helpful suggestions. It has been most helpful. After looking over some of your amazing work, Ken, I believe the certificate is printed in a Gothic style. I cannot imitate this. My daughter is very artistic and would be able to, but I think it is too great a burden to put on a 15 year old. So, i thought a simple Spencerian would be appropriate and easiest for me to do well, as it is closest to my daily handwriting. If anyone disagrees, please speak up. There is also the option of simple printing, which I can do quite neatly. It should be noted that the university president will also be signing the certificate, and I doubt he will stress quite as much about his signature.

Ac12, I assure you that if I'm asked to repeat this performance next year, extras will be demanded. And, New Falcon, it is a special paper, so I doubt Kinkos could duplicate it. But it won't hurt to try.

Again, thank you all.

So, i thought a simple Spencerian would be appropriate and easiest for me to do well, as it is closest to my daily handwriting. If anyone disagrees, please speak up. There is also the option of simple printing, which I can do quite neatly. It should be noted that the university president will also be signing the certificate, and I doubt he will stress quite as much about his signature.

I feel that a contrast in styles is often a good idea, because it highlights the name of the recipient.

You've had lots of good advice. The only thing I would say is to stick with the Registrars Ink. It's one you know and like, and it's one that gives a sense of permanence. Write out the certificates with it, and when it has dried, it already looks as though the recipient's name was the one that had always been there. In other words, it gives a sense of permanence: the kind of feeling you get when you look at ancient birth certificates etc..

Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

pinkbulldog The idea for the colour copies is not for the paper itself, it's just for you to get an idea of what a completed certificate would look like with different sized fonts/nibs/writing styles.

At least that way you've got an idea in your mind on how exactly it'll look and then you just have the ink paper interaction to deal with.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

New Falcon, that is an excellent idea. I will also see if I can get a copy made on as close a paper match as possible. That way, if I do make a mistake, there will be something to present. Since it will be framed, I doubt anyone would be the wiser.

Nokin, I agree with your suggestion and that's the direction I was headed. I am just much more comfortable with the Registrar's than any of the blacks I own. It really behaves so nicely. And, most importantly, my husband likes the look, :)

Thanks again to everyone for your help. The certificates are signed and out of my hands. There were no ink splatters and all names were spelled properly, so my husband is happy. I agonized over those three names to the point of absurdity, and practiced writing them so much that I could produce them in my sleep. But, it was worth it because even I, my harshest critic, was satisfied. Your supportive advice was invaluable.

yay :)

www.SFPenShow.com

I agonized over those three names to the point of absurdity, and practiced writing them so much that I could produce them in my sleep.

Glad it went well - just do not call out any of those names at an inappropriate time or in your sleep! :D