Dry Inks Friendly With Cheap Paper?

adin

First of all, I guess I'm the one that claims 4001 did clog my pen so I must make a correction here. It doesn't clog the pen but the nib dries faster than some other inks like Sheaffer Skrip or Waterman. I use the same pen with Sailor inks and Pelikan 4001, and the same pen act totally different a day after the last writing. Pelikan ink dries and struggles to start, Sailor on the other hand starts much much better even after 4-5 days. So, although it is a very nice ink in some pens, it may not act the same in every pen. Pelikan 4001 is better to control wet pens as it acts a bit thicker. Some inks are easier than Pelikan on some pens with thinner ink paths or less than perfect cap designs.

Sailor inks aren't the best on low quality paper though. I find Sheaffer Skrip more controlled than some Japanese inks, Waterman inks and Quinks and they dry less than Pelikan inks on the nib.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• kokopelli_TR

• amberleadavis

• Bo Bo Olson

Cheap paper = EF nib.

Are you using a Pelikan pen?...which are normal a wetter nib, because they match the dry ink with a wet nib.

Depending on the nib set of the Waterman...the narrower 'dryer Waterman nib works nice with the wet Waterman ink.

What pen brand are you using? How many pens are your sample? How wide is your nib?

There are clogging inks....Noodler has one or two, Diamine has one.....Can't think of a German clogging ink....

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Cheap paper = EF nib.

Are you using a Pelikan pen?...which are normal a wetter nib, because they match the dry ink with a wet nib.

Depending on the nib set of the Waterman...the narrower 'dryer Waterman nib works nice with the wet Waterman ink.

What pen brand are you using? How many pens are your sample? How wide is your nib?

There are clogging inks....Noodler has one or two, Diamine has one.....Can't think of a German clogging ink....

Hi BoBo,

Would you be so kind to share what Noodler and Diamine inks tend to clogg?

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

Cheap paper = EF nib.

I'm planning on buying a dryer ink for my Sheaffer 440 (F); currently using a 1:1 diluted Noodler's 54th Mass. in my TWSBI (F) and Black Parker Quink in my Lamy Vista.

Try and iron gall. The newer ones have pretty colors and aren't as high maintenance as they used to be. Scabiosa and Salix are amazing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This isn't very specific or very scientific, I just went thru and wrote with each of my inked pens on some loose leaf paper I just had sitting around (couldn't tell you exactly what brand it is, but it's bout the same as every other 'school' paper you'd just get for cheap). Mainly cuz I wanted to get a quick idea how my pens would reactor just some stuff around the house or school. So in a way *might* give you some ideas if any of them catch your eye.

Waterman Intense Black seems to dry fairly quickly for me, and appears to be well-behaved on just about anything I throw it on. Noodler's black eel *can* be as long as it's in an extra fine nib (otherwise it smudges rather easily). Tsuki-yo seems to dry pretty quickly for me, but I prefer it in broader or wetter nibs for the shading. (on that note, don't get Diamine Syrah or Noodler's Bad Green Gator if you're worried bout pen being too wet, the bad green gator for me bleeds thru almost everything if the nib isn't very dry).

The Sheaffer Student Pen with the "F" Nib, is probably the wettest pen I have, followed by the Sheaffer Snorkel with the medium nib.

Wow, nice. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I use Sheaffer Skrip Blue in a dry pen for the extremely poor paper and notebooks supplied in my office.

I have used Kung Te-Chen in a dry pen, and it does behave nicely on poor paper, but sadly the ink is unsuited to a dry pen. If the ink doesn't flow much through a pen, as it will with a dry pen, it clogs and clumps. I have only had success using KTC in a wet pen with a gap all the way through the tines. That isn't a complaint against the ink, just a statement that it is suited to wet pens.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I use Sheaffer Skrip Blue in a dry pen for the extremely poor paper and notebooks supplied in my office.

I have used Kung Te-Chen in a dry pen, and it does behave nicely on poor paper, but sadly the ink is unsuited to a dry pen. If the ink doesn't flow much through a pen, as it will with a dry pen, it clogs and clumps. I have only had success using KTC in a wet pen with a gap all the way through the tines. That isn't a complaint against the ink, just a statement that it is suited to wet pens.

Kung te chen sounds cool, never heard of it....

Must check thart :-)

Dear Dcwaites could you please post a handwritten example?

Regards Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

KTC is the most resilient ink I've ever tried.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Ink_Companies/Noodlers/slides/2012-02-25_01_tkc.jpg

Dear Adin, Dear BB Olson, Dear.

Here are a few answers to your posts in a single reply I am a lazy (bleep) -_-

My advice for dryer inks, the following two

Pelikan 4001 inks

J. Herbin inks.

Clogging of Fountain Pens

Pelikan 4001 clogging pens is ....

Peter

So confident you were, I tried Pelikan 4001 once again in several pens. Pelikan 120 EF, Lamy 2000 M, a Senator pen I don't know the model, a Rotring Freeway and an old Scrikss 17. Well I must admit it fared quite well in each pen I tried for the last week. Darker in Pelikan, lighter in Lamy, quite impressive vivid blue in Senator and Rotring pens and decent in Scrikss. Was a well controlled ink and didn't feather on cheap paper as said.

The only thing was that it was a bit dull on some pens but mostly bold and serious on various other pens.

I'm glad I stocked 2x 30 ml Pelikan Blue, 2x 62ml Cross Blue, 2x 30 ml Pelikan Black and 1x 62ml Cross black last month :)

So confident you were, I tried Pelikan 4001 once again in several pens. Pelikan 120 EF, Lamy 2000 M, a Senator pen I don't know the model, a Rotring Freeway and an old Scrikss 17. Well I must admit it fared quite well in each pen I tried for the last week. Darker in Pelikan, lighter in Lamy, quite impressive vivid blue in Senator and Rotring pens and decent in Scrikss. Was a well controlled ink and didn't feather on cheap paper as said.

The only thing was that it was a bit dull on some pens but mostly bold and serious on various other pens.

I'm glad I stocked 2x 30 ml Pelikan Blue, 2x 62ml Cross Blue, 2x 30 ml Pelikan Black and 1x 62ml Cross black last month :)

You're welcome...

Glad I could help you

Regards Peter

You're welcome...

Glad I could help you

Regards Peter

Thank you Peter.

I guess some pens I had had some drying problems by themselves.

BTW about German pens, while trying with Pelikan 4001 I realized Senator pens wrote really brilliantly no matter how old and cheap they were. I quickly made a small collection of their piston filler pens. Not mentioning 40 year old abused Pelikan 120. It was still writing butter smooth. I were aiming an Italian pen for the next buy but I guess I can include a Diplomat pen instead at the first row. As far as I read, they make great workhorse pens.

I've had good luck with Noodler's Heart of Darkness on cheap paper. It more resistant to bleeding and feathering than anything else I have, including my Waterman inks. To be fair, I haven't tried any iron gall inks.

Edited by syoung98