Dry Inks Friendly With Cheap Paper?

adin

I currently own a Lamy Vista (EF), TWSBI Mini (F), and a Sheaffer 440 (F). However, I am not currently using my TWSBI nor my Sheaffer at the moment because they are a bit too wet to work well with cheap paper. The inks that I have are: Parker Quink (black) and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts.

Does anyone have any recommendations for fairly dry inks that would work well in my situation?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• kokopelli_TR

• amberleadavis

• Bo Bo Olson

Kaweco Midnight Blue is one of the drier inks I've ever tried and it is one of my go to inks in super wet pens. The ink has a unique grey/blue/black shade which I find quite appealing as well.

MB Royal Blue is quite cheap paper friendly. Sailor Kiwa-guro would b the most cheap paper friendly ink I can think of, but may stain your demonstrators.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

This isn't very specific or very scientific, I just went thru and wrote with each of my inked pens on some loose leaf paper I just had sitting around (couldn't tell you exactly what brand it is, but it's bout the same as every other 'school' paper you'd just get for cheap). Mainly cuz I wanted to get a quick idea how my pens would reactor just some stuff around the house or school. So in a way *might* give you some ideas if any of them catch your eye.

Waterman Intense Black seems to dry fairly quickly for me, and appears to be well-behaved on just about anything I throw it on. Noodler's black eel *can* be as long as it's in an extra fine nib (otherwise it smudges rather easily). Tsuki-yo seems to dry pretty quickly for me, but I prefer it in broader or wetter nibs for the shading. (on that note, don't get Diamine Syrah or Noodler's Bad Green Gator if you're worried bout pen being too wet, the bad green gator for me bleeds thru almost everything if the nib isn't very dry).

The Sheaffer Student Pen with the "F" Nib, is probably the wettest pen I have, followed by the Sheaffer Snorkel with the medium nib.

post-111162-0-45745000-1396513391_thumb.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

Try J. Herbin's ink some of them seem to be a bit dryer.

I have the 1670 anniversery blue which dries quickly...

According to SBRE Brown who is major fan of J. Herbin... these inks for example "Lie de Thé" are dryer...

But how about trying an average quality paper?

I use € 2, 50 school note book for my ink reviews and the result is very decent...

Even with very wet inks and a 1, 5 italic nib....

Kind regards

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

Pelikan 4001 black is my standard dry ink, and one of my favorite black: cheap, well-behaved and can go in quite wet pens.

Pelikans inks seems quite dry to me, almost all of them (Brown being the "wettest"). Same for some of the MB and Pelikan Edelstein.

+1 for Pelikan 4001 Black and Blue-Black.

MB Midnight Blue (IG version), but it's difficult to find.

R&K Salix and Scabiosa

Noodler's bulletproof black is not dry but works very well on cheap paper.

I would also recommend Pelikan 4001, blue-black being the driest but all colors are relatively dry. Alternative Rohrer & Klinger Salix or Sepia. Avoid Diamine and Conway Stewart, nice colors but among the wettest on the market.

I really like platinum blue-black (although I'd personally call it more of a blue than a blue black especially when wet).

Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue for me too but it is too dry on some pens and may clog them in my case.

Sheaffer Skrip Inks on the other hand, while working quite well on cheap paper, flow brilliantly even in a Japanese Fine nib and never dry on the nib. Waterman and Quink inks are the same in flow except they don't work that well on cheap paper. You must try Sheaffer Skrip inks. I use blue and black inks mostly but had the whole bunch seeing their behavior.

I use Noodler's Bad Blue Heron to grade essays. Works great on dreadful paper with a fine nib (Hero 616 jumbo).

Yet another Sarah.

Any iron-gall I've used will make a pen run on the dry to very dry end of the scale.

Akkerman Blue-Black

Lamy Blue-Black - not made in an i-g formula anymore

Montblanc - Blue-Black

R&K Scabiosa and Salix - both very very dry (very dry) Did I mention they run dry?

Montblanc Midnight Blue runs a bit wetter than the above.

AIR, somewhere around here, there is a story that Noodlers Standard Black was formulated so someone could do newspaper crossword puzzles with a fountain pen.

Newsprint is about the least expensive, mass produced with no intent that anyone will ever write on it with anything other than a pencil, paper there is.

Or, maybe I miss remembered.

YMMV

AIR, somewhere around here, there is a story that Noodlers Standard Black was formulated so someone could do newspaper crossword puzzles with a fountain pen.

Newsprint is about the least expensive, mass produced with no intent that anyone will ever write on it with anything other than a pencil, paper there is.

Or, maybe I miss remembered.

Noodlers Standard Bulletproof Black doesn't feather much but there is that X-Feather Black for that purpose.

I've never heard of 4001 royal blue clogging a pen. I think that must be a myth.

It's a dead heat between 4001 royal blue and what ever they call Waterman Florida blue for safest of all inks.

I just love old dried up 4001 blue in my antique sat two generations in the back of a drawer pens. When watered it comes out in beautiful clouds of ink in the sink.

Piston pens cleans up with in 10 or so minutes. :thumbup:

Old dried BB IG inks on the other hand, comes out in thin dark strings in the water and takes much time to get the last. Some times needs an over night soak...but that is old dried in the pen ink.

Now having lots of experience :wallbash: ...would use this new to this or late last year info....a 10% vinegar mix on any IG ink.

Dam, got to buy a old pen with dried up BB ink...now that I know the short cut. :happyberet:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Another vote for the 4001.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Noodler's Kung Te Cheng is my driest ink. It does not feather, and is impervious to pretty much everything, including water and light. It *is* cloggy, and smells strongly (something in the azane family, I suspect). Dilution may help. I kind of have a love-hate relationship with it; there really isn't anything else like it, and it's usually in a EDC pen.

Organic Studio's inks often run a bit dry for me. Their iron gall is quite nice and very dry if you like a teal-leaning IG.

I second the vote for Scabiosa as well, although it's honestly too dry for me. To be fair, I like wet pens with wet ink.

Sailor inks have good flow, but often perform well for me in circumstances where they probably shouldn't. They have a pleasant-to-me ink/shoe polish scent. All the ones I've tried have been models of ink behavior, even under some unlikely circumstances. I've used the sepia Kobe ink from Sailor in my F TWSBI Mini, with excellent results, and Grenade in a very juicy M Knox pen, with good results on all but paper towels. My other inks/samples have left me with no lasting complaints, and I hear good things about them, so if you just want good behavior, it might be worth sampling. Isellpens has the normal Sailor samples for a good deal, if you're in the US.

Dear Adin, Dear BB Olson, Dear.

Here are a few answers to your posts in a single reply… I am a lazy (bleep) -_-

My advice for dryer inks, the following two

Pelikan 4001 inks

J. Herbin inks.

Clogging of Fountain Pens

Pelikan 4001 clogging pens is like Nessie of Loch Ness babies spread all over the lakes in the world. Her first grandson was seen in Bodensee Germany… :D

To speak with Bo Bo Olsen I guess it is a Myth. :)

Usually clogging of pens is due to poor maintenance. I spoke today with Dr Jansen of De Atramentis. He had some clients complaining about the same issue of clogged pens. He also told me that those clients left their pens filled up with ink for a year without using them… Are those people worthy of using the noble Fountain Pen??? Mont Blanc advises on it’s website to clean your Fountain Pens regularly just to avoid these Problems… So please do so!!!

Cleaning is easy….

post-105475-0-40229200-1397061532_thumb.jpg

If you use this.

( you can get them at a Hospital… or steal them from a Junkie ;) )

Just flush 3 or 4 times, it only takes five minutes and your pen is clean.

(sorry I Know that doesn’t work in my Pelikan M800)

Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.

First of all off topic...

The name is a Babylonian confusion of speech (even on the bottle itself)

The German name is Königsblau which correctly translated means King’s Blue

Royal blue is Königliches Blau in German…

Just so you know :)

On Topic…

The Pelikan 4001 inks are German Quality Inks for a very nice price. In Austria (NO that’s not a province of Germany :D ) a 30 ml bottle costs only €3,19 (about $4,5)

I have NINETEEN years old bottle of Pelikan 4001 Royal which still is excellent. Just like a great Wine it even got better.

I did a comparison of the old Pelikan 4001 Kings Blue with an new Pelikan Kings blue which I bought last week…

If you are curious to the results, I have posted a comparison of these on FPN in both the Ink Comparison and the Ink review For a…

Just follow the link below.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/264220-pelikanss-royal-battle-battle-of-the-blue-kings/

For me that’s the best proof that a quality ink does not have to be expensive….

Off Topic again…

Are…

Germany & Quailty

Synonyms???

Cars : Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, etc.

Fountain Pens : Pelikan, Lamy, Diplomat, Mont Blanc,

Inks : Pelikan, De Atramentis, Mont Blanc, Rohrer and Klinger

I guess they are :)

On topic again.

To conclude...

Simply try the Pelikan it is cheap and good.

Or try a J. Herbin, I have posted a review of J.Herbin 1670 Blue. The link is down below.

A normal J. Herbin in Holland costs about € 6,75 and The 1670 inks about @ 12,50… So I guess the prices will not drive you into bankruptcy. :)

www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/263548-j-herbin-1670-blue/

Dear Adin I wish you success in finding the perfect ink for you. I hop you will be able to use your lovely Fountain Pens soon. :D

Warmest regards to you all,

Peter Vlutters

P.s. I have tested the above mentioned inks with a Lamy 1,5 Italic, a true gusher. It worked out perfectly well. So I guess a fine nib should’nt be a problem at all

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)