I've Got The Blues Magoos :) Informal Blue Comparisons

white_lotus

Well this is my first ever ink comparison. So I apologize if don't have very good scans, my pengirlship is poor, I lack multiple nib sizes, especially the italics, fines, and stub 1.5! I only have three pens and they're all medium nibs. I'm sorry again if I am boring.

I will be adding to this thread additional scans of the other blue inks as I run through the ink already in the pens. Then I'll switch to a different blue.

I simply used the regular settings on the Epson scanner I have as part of the Epson WF-7520 printer. When I scaled the images down for uploading, they were individually 3.4 Mb, so I had to make them smaller, but I set the quality to "high". Now I have smaller file sizes that I can upload. I hope the quality is preserved.

The inks in this set are:

Lamy Blue-black

Iroshizuku Shin-kai (Deep Sea)

J. Herbin Bleu Nuit

Organics Studio Mark Twain Halley's Comet

The pens I used were

Lamy 2000 medium

Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe medium

Shaeffer 1960's "school pen"

when my Edison Beaumont arrives, I'll add that to the mix.

The papers I used were:

Moleskine (I know some of you have issues)

Mohawk via linen 70# text

Office Max Inkjet paper

After starting the project I realized from other posts on FPN that I should have tested the SAME INK in DIFFERENT PENS. But I didn't do that. It may have made more of a difference if I had different nib widths, but with them all being mediums, maybe not so important?

Thanks so much for your time, and if you have any suggestions about how I can do better next time, let me know!

OK, without further ado, the images!

post-111275-0-93393300-1396391105.jpg

post-111275-0-47432700-1396391099.jpg

post-111275-0-41074100-1396391109_thumb.jpg

post-111275-0-62981600-1396391102.jpg

Edited by white_lotus

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_lotus

• lapis

• Sandy1

• Alexandra

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really like the look of Iroshizuku Shin-kai and Organics Studio Mark Twain even though it doesn't appear to shade. Do either of these inks have any kind of water-fastness?

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

Nice review of 4 nice inks. Thanks for all of that writing. Much better than a swab or 4.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Hi,

Many thanks!

I always like to see even more samples of inks that I have, which show not only the influence of different pens & papers, but the author's hand too. :)

And now that I've added OSMTHC to my bottomless Wish List, I reckon you've earned the honorific 'Enabler of Inky Enjoyment'.

Whee!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

.... Umm.... is there a topless Wish List?....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I haven't gotten to any water resistance testing on these. I was assuming that that particular property had been covered in other reviews.

I happen to like all the inks. They've all been what I think people would call "well-behaved". Of course, my pen examples are limited, and I'm kind of liking wet inks I think.

The OSMTHC (gosh already starting to abbreviate!) is a very nice purple, strong is color, but not bright. It's very deep.

The J. Herbin Bleu Nuit is a very soft color, very easy on the eyes. But I'm not sure I was using the fountain pen as a dip pen correctly. I may not have been getting enough ink in the feed. (Is that the right terminology?)

And it looks like maybe I should have made a few of the scans bigger. But next time.

Thanks so much for the nice comments!

.... Umm.... is there a topless Wish List?....

... Ah …

As this is FPN - not Crazy Horse - a topless Wish List would be that of a procrastinator.

:happyberet:

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

... Ah …

As this is FPN - not Crazy Horse - a topless Wish List would be that of a procrastinator.

:happyberet:

Excellent!

I was having trouble with the concept but now I understand completely.

I might procrastinate, but not until tomorrow.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_301.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The scan implies that the J. Herbin is brighter. But that's a problem with computer screens in general they show more "brightness" and less "saturation" and "depth" than what's really there.

OOPS. I wrote "Bleu Nuit" but it's really "Eclat de Saphir"

post-111275-0-97987500-1397479468_thumb.jpg

Edited by white_lotus