New-Made Parker "51" Nipples (Connectors)

Richard

If you repair Parker “51”s, you’ve probably run into the problem of broken Aero-metric nipples or nipples with sac nipples that are all soft and gooey. (The nipple is the part that the barrel and shell screws onto; it also holds the sac.)

A run of these parts, both for early threaded sac guards and for later press-on sac guards, is being made — not by me! — and we need numbers. The parts are acrylic, and the price will be in the $10-$15 range per piece for either type.

If you don’t sock away a few of these now, a couple of years down the pike you’re going to wish you’d done it. Please let me know ASAP how many you will be able to purchase.

Edited by Richard

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richard

• FarmBoy

• pajaro

• Gump

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Richard & thx for the heads up.

I don't think that I've yet had to replace any of my P51 Aero sacs but I'm sure the occasion will arise in the future.

Based on your experience, can you recommend a suggested ratio of threaded to pressed-on connectors to assist me in ordering an assortment? I realize that the threaded are less common but I lack any feel for what relative quantities I should reasonably pre-order.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, regards

Richard,

In a post nearby there was discussion of this very item. Tim Girdler says that the threaded sections that Kullock is selling through penpartsstore will not work as the sizing, threads, etc., are off and won't fit. Tim said he has some in his possession and speaks from experience.

Is this the part you speak of?

If it's not and has been tested, I'll check my Aero stock and order some for future insurance.

Thanks,

Clayton

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

From memory, mostly to help this along...

Two sizes: Demi and Standard

There are threaded shrounds.

There are connectors for slip fit shroud with and without o-ring at the hood.

There are conectors with and without the barrel recess.

The Special connectors and the Super 21 connectors are different.

There should be a multi-pack!

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I am getting the idea that, with several different types needed, this could get expensive if you buy several of each to cover the needs of a collection.

I suspect that if you consider your age, and I am 65, you might consider whether you will live long enough for this to be an issue for you.

I have at least fifty Parker 51s and probably some of each type. Depending on the price of each type of connector, I might want one of each. If they cost more than about $12.00 each I would probably pass on this. If the pens develop the degeration in the nipple, they would become parts pens or be given a decent burial in my dead pen cemetery.

I am wondering what the odds are that any particular Parker 51 aerometric will develop this problem. If you don't ink them any more, is it still an issue?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

These parts are not Kullock's parts. They are being made in the U.S.A., and I provided the original Parker parts that they are being made to match.

At this time the plan does not include any "51" Demi or Super "21"parts, only "51" Standard parts. The type that fits the push-on sac guards will have the O-ring groove; these will work well either with or without an O-ring in place.

Parts should be available next week. But the maker cannot supply small quantities such as three of each type. If you need only a couple, please find someone else to make a joint buy.

I am wondering what the odds are that any particular Parker 51 aerometric will develop this problem. If you don't ink them any more, is it still an issue?

The problem has nothing to do with inking or not inking. First, some pens get broken during disassembly for repair. As the late Frank Dubiel put to, nobody who works on pens isn't going to break some. Second, the initial formulation for Pli-Glass turned out to outgas its plasticizer, and that component is what softens the plastic of the sac nipple. When Parker discovered this, they changed the formulation of Pli-Glass, but there are NOS pens still around with soft nipples.

Edited by Richard

Thanks, that was very interesting.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

But, it might be possible for you to purchase one from someone else, rather than purchase a large amount on your own. I think several people have ordered multiple parts.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

• 6 months later...

Think my original NOS parts just got more expensive...

ETA: Dale's tools and parts are top quality if you have not done business with him.

Edited by FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Yeah....that seems a tad pricey, this 51 may yet become a parts pen. Farmboy, if you have a more reasonable offering please message me.