"it's So Beautiful!" ... So They Say

Eastree

For everyone working to improve your handwriting, here is a little encouragement:

I have been working to improve my handwriting, informally, and not with as much dedication as perhaps I should. But things are improving.

Suddenly at work, I start getting compliments. People with pretty decent penmanship are now saying mine is better than theirs (though I may disagree), and from other coworkers as well.

All I see now are my issues: inconsistency with spacing, letter height, a few letter forms being off, et cetera. I am still too self conscious to post a sample here. But they see the improvement.

I plan to purchase some of the more-often recommended book-based courses, such as Write Now, to better push myself in the right direction.

So stick with it. Keep working on it. See what works for you, whether it's a different lesson type or a different style of writing. You may be improving more than you realize.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mcc1701

• Lou Erickson

• Pens by J. I. Schmidt

• RodgerM

Yes!

I've gone from the person who needed special needs (remedial) handwriting at school, to the person colleagues approach to write office birthday cards!

It's taken a good few years, and my motor skills just weren't controlled enough until I was at least 18, I'm now 32. But it can be done!

ETA: just want to clarify my handwriting is far from amazing, but it's now controlled, readable, and neat sortof French Cursive.

Edited by Inkysloth

Instagram @inkysloth

I'm just about to start "the quest", thanks for the encouragement!

• 2 weeks later...

I had remedial handwriting in school, too!

And handwriting that matched it. It was terrible.

Computers came along and saved me. :)

In the last few months, I've been practicing every day. Some days are better than others - I started writing a story, and if I get too excited about getting the words out, my handwriting suffers. If I go slowly, it's better.

I am, apparently, shameless. I'm posting it to my blog. The link in my signature will take you there, and you can see by looking at the first entries how it has improved.

Practice will help!

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

• 2 weeks later...

It is amazing what a few minutes of practice a day can do for one's handwriting. My story is similar to yours. People used to joke that I should become a doctor, my handwriting was so bad, but now, usually a week doesn't pass that someone doesn't compliment my handwriting. I still also see just my flaws in my handwriting, but going back to my old journals from a few years ago and comparing then to now, I do see a great improvement. It's a great impetus to keep practicing so it gets even better and more consistant as far as ascenders and descenders (my greatest weaknesses) go.

I think many people have a similar story. Mine is that when younger, my handwriting wasn't too bad, but as I got older and started using word processors more, my handwriting began to degrade. I finally got to the point where I was having difficulty reading my own handwriting! I used to do some informal calligraphy, so I decided that I should take it up again. I contacted a pointed pen instructor and began to learn Spencerian. Since then I've also learned English Roundhand aka Copperplate and started practicing my handwriting again. I bought Michael Sull's American Cursive Handwriting book and it has really helped me. I highly recommend it! I think that while it is important to practice, it is in many ways, even more important to practice to improve i.e. continually try to make your letters have a better shape and consistency. My handwriting is better now, but unfortunately, my spelling is still horrible, lol!