Photo

Fantastic: Nanami Paper & Supply Tomoe River Notebooks!

notebook review

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 egretsrus

egretsrus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 00:35

O frabjous day!  Just received my gorgeous bound, lined, Tomoe River notebook from Nanami Paper and Supply.  Think Goulet Pens for comparison: customer service, speed of delivery (24 hours in my case) and flawless packaging.  Wish I could figure out how to attach photos I took with my iPhone 5.  As previous reviewers have noted, the leather cover is purchased separately.  The notebook itself is about the size of a medium Moleskine journal, has 480 pages and will last the average writer quite awhile.  The lines are perfectly spaced for me, seem to be a TINY bit closer than college-ruled.  I plan to use fine to extra fine nibs on various pens with various inks to write in this beautiful journal.

I highly recommend communicating with Dave if you have any questions...you will get an email back very quickly.  I look forward to buying from this company in the future.

No affiliation, blah blah blah :lol: 

My life is full of mistakes. They're like pebbles that make a good road.
Beatrice Wood

#2 mm1624124

mm1624124

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 14:47

:) Hear! Hear! 

Actually I like the funky, pink cover; it seems durable and it has a "retro" appeal about it.   I also like the small signatures in the binding. 

Superb service too.   I think my order arrived before Dave could email me that he had sent them!

#3 Jackson

Jackson

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2014 - 20:34

+ 1 standing O for Dave at Nanami. He even solicits customer views/preferences on details like line-spacings for future design tweaks.
What's not to love about that...!

#4 MisterBoll

MisterBoll

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 22:47

This has become my favorite notebook - and dealing with Dave is just a dream.

Hats off to Nanami.

#5 Moose22

Moose22

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:23

I have a bunch of Nanami stuff. Envelopes, tomoe river pads... good products and great service.

#6 yogalarva

yogalarva

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:38

I absolutely loved my Seven Seas journal!  :-)  Unfortunately, it didn't really wind up fitting what I needed in a daily carry notebook, so I switched to a Webbie, but I wish I could find a longer writing project to do just so I could get another one for that wonderful paper...

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Lamy 2000 Stainless, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity, Platinum Preppy

#7 brgmarketing

brgmarketing

Transition Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2014 - 22:57

Companies like Nanami and Goulet set a high standard in products and services.

Definitely a goal for other companies to achieve.

No affiliation and thanks for the information.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#8 inkypete

inkypete

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2014 - 23:29

Definitely a goal for other companies to achieve.

No affiliation and thanks for the information.

Sums it up for me. Just received my order from Nanami downunder and the service, packaging etc was first class. Love the notebook and the other bits and pieces I bought too. Great companies - Nanami and Goulets.

Posted Image

#9 yogalarva

yogalarva

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:56

I second this.  I've gone back to using my Seven Seas journal after the Webbie didn't live up to expectations.  I realized that the Seven Seas is everything I could hope for and more.  Can't recommend both of these small businesses enough. :-)

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Lamy 2000 Stainless, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity, Platinum Preppy

#10 Newjelan

Newjelan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 1,123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:00

I've been using my Nanami Seven Seas journal with its Gfeller cover for work notes for about 3 weeks. I'm about 100 pages in and I just love this notebook. I was interested to see how the thin paper would hold up under the tough conditions of meeting rooms, cafés, tossed in my handbag, briefcase and suitcases. So far it's been great. The Seven Seas will be my standard work notebook from now on. Will be ordering some more shortly.

#11 dspeers58

dspeers58

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2014 - 22:02

great products and service!

#12 RPB

RPB

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2014 - 21:12

You all probably know this however..............

'Seven Seas "WRITER" Tomoe River Journal A5' on Nanami Paper and Supply

This is the new version of the Seven Seas Tomoe River Journal. We are now calling it the "Seven Seas Writer"....

#13 madden11

madden11

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2014 - 00:04

You all probably know this however..............

'Seven Seas "WRITER" Tomoe River Journal A5' on Nanami Paper and Supply

This is the new version of the Seven Seas Tomoe River Journal. We are now calling it the "Seven Seas Writer"....

I just made my first Nanami purchase today and boy, am I excited! After a lot of thought, I passed on the 'Writer' because I didn't need another large book that I'd be unlikely to fill. I need paper for letter-writing, so I settled on some pads and envelopes. I just wish the pads had lines...

#14 Moose22

Moose22

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:20

I was bummed at that at first, too. Now I use a guide sheet I printed out and just tuck it behind the sheet when writing on tomoe pads. The paper is thin enough that you can easily see through it.

Actually makes it look like an old timey letter WITH better penmanship since my lines are straight and evenly spaced, even though the finished letter has no guidelines.

I still prefer lines in my journal, but I've grown to like the blank letter pads.

#15 _Stormin_

_Stormin_

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 20:03

Love the journal enough that I am debating some of the TR tablets for letter writing as well. Dave's service is remarkable. 

#16 Josey

Josey

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 18:42

Just received my order of 3 notebooks and a kip leather cover!!! LOVE! But I'm making myself use at least some of my "regular" journal hoard first XP

#17 gmax

gmax

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 20:23

I got several journals a while ago, and love them. Now I'm waiting for the skirting leather cover, and some Midori lined writing paper  :happyberet:

#18 Newjelan

Newjelan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 1,123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:37

Now I'm waiting for the skirting leather cover...  :happyberet:

You won't be disappointed. I've had mine for about 2 months and am using them for work. The cover is getting some rough treatment as I'm out and about much of the time. Both the cover and the notebook are coping well and wearing in nicely.

#19 _Stormin_

_Stormin_

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:24

I've now got one of each (skirting and kip) and I'm happy about both. Added bonus, I can tell them apart by touch in my briefcase...

#20 Josey

Josey

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 16:45

I've now got one of each (skirting and kip) and I'm happy about both. Added bonus, I can tell them apart by touch in my briefcase...

Which do you prefer? Compare for us?? :)

#21 cei-face

cei-face

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 17:42

Which do you prefer? Compare for us?? :)

+1. Talk us over the edge for the Gfellers. I'm so so so close. 

#22 _Stormin_

_Stormin_

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 14:28

Well, I can honestly say that I am glad that I have both, as both have different uses for me. First off, the quality on both is remarkable. I have not owned a single leather good that I find to be of higher quality. A pic of the two side by side:

14424151691_7db9fe7287_z.jpg

The Skirting leather cover on the left is where I keep my work notebooks. It is a phenomenally stiff leather when new. Think new baseball glove and you're headed in the right direction. Even with some use the cover itself still remains very stiff while the edge works in to being folded. If you want a cover that is going to be very stiff, this one is the right call.

The Kip leather cover on the right is where I keep my journals. It is an incredibly supple leather. Like the softest leather coat you have every thought of owning. It's color is a bit lighter, but it does darken over time. Even in the month that I have had mine I've noticed that it has darkened a little bit from the color it had when new.

Both are tough enough to stand on their end, but of course, the Kip clearly wasn't meant to do so for extended periods of time, given the softness of the leather.

14427498035_8ca1df93e7_z.jpg

Honestly, if you have the cash free with have a notebook that you know will fit into the cover, you're missing out by not buying one.

Edited by _Stormin_, 15 June 2014 - 14:28.

#23 LuckyKate

LuckyKate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:31

I ordered the journal and the Gfeller kip leather cover on Friday. They arrived by noon on Monday. The journal and paper are wonderful! I've also ordered the Midori Cotton MD A5 from The Journal Shop as it fits into the kip cover (so soft so beautiful).

In addition I got the Japanese rubber bands to hold the notebook closed. They are huge and gorgeous.

I go through a lot of notebooks (good journals for the fiction and poetry and a cheap enormous personal journal for the ugly personal stuff). I love paper and office supplies ridiculously!

Katherine

#24 Josey

Josey

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 14:13

I ordered the journal and the Gfeller kip leather cover on Friday. They arrived by noon on Monday. The journal and paper are wonderful! I've also ordered the Midori Cotton MD A5 from The Journal Shop as it fits into the kip cover (so soft so beautiful).

In addition I got the Japanese rubber bands to hold the notebook closed. They are huge and gorgeous.

I go through a lot of notebooks (good journals for the fiction and poetry and a cheap enormous personal journal for the ugly personal stuff). I love paper and office supplies ridiculously!

Katherine

Gosh darnit! Those notebooks don't seem to come in lined versions :(

I agre about those Japanese rubber bands from Nanami - FANTASTIC! The largest size fits a notebook + cover securely closed without bending the cover's edges at all!

#25 Moose22

Moose22

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 18:50

I don't understand -- the Nanami journals are certainly lined.  Or do you mean the Midori Cotton ones?

#26 LuckyKate

LuckyKate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 23:55

The Nanami Notebooks are lined--I don't usually like lines but these are very thin, very light lines and on this cream/ivory paper they are wonderful.

The Midori Notebooks are a beautiful blank white. I haven't examined them closely as they arrived just before I left town for a couple of weeks.

#27 jimhughes

jimhughes

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,437 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 00:55

Katherine :

Could you, please, post a link for the Japanese rubber bands.  My google search is drawing a weird selection of not much usable sources..  Jim

#28 _Stormin_

_Stormin_

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:08

Not Katherine, but I know the link.

http://www.nanamipap...s-set-of-6.html

#29 jimhughes

jimhughes

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,437 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 19:42

That'll Work for Me.  Thanks for your help.  Jim

#30 ipinkgirl

ipinkgirl

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:54

I just got my first Nanami Journal and to make it my own I washitaped the cover.  I'm trying to decide which pen and ink to christen it with, and my Sailor Lecoule may just be the one.  

Edited by ipinkgirl, 28 June 2014 - 04:54.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: notebook review