Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Advertising!

advertising advert fpn

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl

Professional Dilettante

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:05

I will also say that while I admire Consumers' Union's policy of refusing all outside advertising in Consumer Reports, refusing free samples, and operating on a shoestring budget, in order to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest, they are in an unusual situation.

The only time I have ever resigned my membership in an organization was because the organization (namely the American Guild of Organists) had a policy of shamelessly running untagged paid advertorials as the cover feature "articles" in their membership magazine, and refusing to recognize that (even though they demand that their members agree, in writing, to uphold a code of conduct) they were failing to uphold the ethical standards (i.e., keeping "editorial" and "advertising" at arms length) that most other magazines, commercial or membership, uphold as a matter of course. (The technical term is "payola.")

By contrast, about the time I joined the National Model Railroad Association, they were just starting to accept paid ads in their membership magazines. There was a lot of debate among NMRA members, and a lot of talk about "slippery slopes," but I, for one, applauded their decision (it paved the way for pictorial covers, then color covers, then color throughout the magazine, and they did not have to sell their souls to do it!)

--
James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink
Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,
Blacky minky, Bottle of ink!
-- Edward Lear

#32 usk15

usk15

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:28

If something is free and you don't have to support from your pocket (subscription), than you should accept and obey any form of advertising even if is not very convenient or aesthetic.

Also, sometimes some adverts might be good for some users, meaning that they didn’t know about specific product advert referring.

On FPN if the advertising covers the cost of website to run I prefer like that then to shut down!

Like Dickkooty2 done the mats: there’s more than 83000 registered users, and more than 1000 daily active. If more than half from daily active members donate only 10 USD will cover the goal to general costs. If…

Edited by usk15, 02 April 2014 - 05:29.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: advertising, advert, fpn