Help Please With Id And Repairs

Larry Barrieau

Hi,

I'm new at this hobby and I bought a Sheaffer pen on ebay hoping to fix it. I paid 18.50 for it. For the record I have only resaced a couple of Esties and put a J bar in one. The Shaeffer has this information on the barrell: W.A. Shaeffer Co. (of Canada Ltd.) Toronto Pat. Dec.10.12-Jan.27-CCC.20-Nov.24.14 Phew! On the nib is :

Sheaffer's 5-30 Made in Canada.

I have a number of questions about it and hope that you can help me. 1. The picture shows the section with what looks like the feed sticking out. Is that what it is and should there be a tube coming off of it? 2. The tines of the nib are crossed. Is it salvageable and is it worth salvaging? Where could I find a replacement niib?

3. What size sac would this take? 4. Any idea how old it is and/or the model?

I'd like to fix this. My wife is from Toronto (we travel back and forth) and that's why I bid on the particular pen. Am I over my newby head on this repair?

I know it's a lot of questions but allow one more please. Where can I find this stuff out without having to bother you guys?

Thanks very much for any help.

Larry

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Larry Barrieau

• Ernst Bitterman

• OcalaFlGuy

• irrigger

1) Yup, that's the feed, alright. I think that's the Sheaffer equivalent to Parker's lucky curve feed, if memory serves right. The cracked, black gunk on the lucky-curve end of the section though should be the remnants of the old sac though, that, I can say.

2) Not having fixed a nib in that shape before, I'm not completely sure, but I reckon a good nibmeister and restorer should be able to fix that right up. Otherwise, you could try gently pushing the tines of the nib back into shape, but...It's a delicate job. It's probably salvageable though, all said.

3) I've restored Snorkels, but not balances, so...I'm not quite certain. Wait for the pros to show up on this one ;)

4) I'll guess Sheaffer Balance Jr/500 with a 30 year warranty, based off of the nib. Grain of salt though, considering it's a guess.

Calculating.

Larry,

If you've installed sacs on other pens, you absolutely should be able to do this one. You'll need to be careful not to dislodge the feed as you install the new sac. The remnants of the old sac can be removed with a fingernail, pen knife, or other tool with a blade to scrape the sac off the nipple. This is the easiest part of your restoration.

The nib is another issue. I would estimate that getting it fixed by a professional will cost at least double what you already have into the pen. I'm basing this estimate on nib work done on my pens and prices you can find on the websites of professionals who do this type of work. If you have a professional do it, you're guaranteed a pen that will write as well as it can.

If you've never tinkered with a nib, and this is a special pen for you, you may not want to take the risk of damaging it. Look through the threads in the Repair forum here to see what other members have been able to do with crossed tines. Don't use any metal tools on the nib as you're very likely to cause further damage.

Sac size: your pen looks like a slim balance with a barrel diameter of 13/32. If so, it's a #15. If it's a standard balance with a barrel diameter of 15/32, it's a #17.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the information I'm eager to order the sac and give it a try. If I get the nib done and it's double the price of the pen it will be $60 into the project. I don't know what that pen is worth at that stage but I think I'll do it. It will be my most expensive pen. :) To get the nib off do I just grab the nib and the feed and pull straight out? Any suggestions on who to send it to?

Thanks again guys.

Thanks so much for the information I'm eager to order the sac and give it a try. If I get the nib done and it's double the price of the pen it will be $60 into the project. I don't know what that pen is worth at that stage but I think I'll do it. It will be my most expensive pen. :) To get the nib off do I just grab the nib and the feed and pull straight out? Any suggestions on who to send it to?

Thanks again guys.

Stop and PM Ernst.

My Website

Hi,

Yesterday I was writing my post as Ernst was offering his help. I wasn't ignoring him. I then pm'd him and I didn't realize until today that it didn't go through. So I just tried again. Apologies all around.

Larry

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm back from a little traveling and would like to get back to this pen. I appreciate all the the help so far. I've reconsidered and have decided to buy a nib for this pen and try to do it myself. Can anyone help me with a source? It doesn't have to be a match for the old one (which has one of the nibs broken off along with the tipping material.) I just need one that will fit and write. Also, in the picture there is that feed thing sticking out. Is that a piece of breather tube or can I just re-sac it? I have already soaked and cleaned the section. I look forward to your opinions.

Larry

If you want to try doing this yourself, you will need to drive the old nib and feed out using a punch and block first before even thinking of replacing the sac.

To prevent snapping the feed that is visible, you will need to find a hollow punch or tube that can be used to surround what is sticking out and not be large enough to crack the section.

Avoid trying to pull out the nib and feed from the other end. This will most likey snap the existing feed and you will then have to either source a new one or send the pen out for repairs.(trust me, I know! :doh:)

A source for nibs is Five Star Pens. Check them out to see if they have any that would fit your pen.

Good Luck.

fpn_1389205880__post_card_exchange_small.png

Thank you all.