Poll: Win One Of 7 New, High Performance Flex Pens!

PrestoTenebroso

Check this out! This is one of many tests I have in mind, but what do you think of this preliminary example of its performance?

*drool*

GIMME GIMME GIMME

Are you thinking 14k gold nib or steel?

My Vintages:

Sheaffer Triumph, Saratoga, Targa Slim and Targa Standard; Waterman 3V and 52 1/2V; Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler x 2; Eagle Unbreakable in sterling silver; Eversharp Bantam; Parker Duofold Lucky Curve BCHR and Duofold in red hard rubber; Spors Co. glass nib pens x 4; Conklin 2NL and 20P.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PrestoTenebroso

• OakIris

• KBeezie

• Kataphract

Sweet!

Thank you!

Very nice, Presto. Looks quite promising, at least with your hand!

Thank you very much! I'm really excited about what's been happening over here, but there's a lot of figuring out to do!

*drool*

GIMME GIMME GIMME

Are you thinking 14k gold nib or steel?

I want these to be inexpensive, so you'll have some inexpensive steel options, fancier steel options, and a few gold options, but those come at a real $$$ premium.

Man I need to get an actual flex, those look great. (I only have two that I didn't even know had 'some' flex to them.)

Not sure what degree of flex you'd call it, but found out my Platinum PTL-5000 can do this:

fpn_1397950848__arc_line.jpg

And an old Stratford button-filler I restored that I sanded down that just has "special alloy" nib that seems to flex similar to the above (and bleeds like crazy when doing it).

Thanks for this opportunity! I'm hyped to see what you come up with :3 This is definitely a market that has yet to be fully explored! (Flex pen options these days are either really expensive, Noodler's (as the cheaper option), or vintage...)

Thanks for this opportunity! I'm hyped to see what you come up with :3 This is definitely a market that has yet to be fully explored! (Flex pen options these days are either really expensive, Noodler's (as the cheaper option), or vintage...)

You're welcome. I assume you signed up?

Man I need to get an actual flex, those look great. (I only have two that I didn't even know had 'some' flex to them.)

Not sure what degree of flex you'd call it, but found out my Platinum PTL-5000 can do this:

And an old Stratford button-filler I restored that I sanded down that just has "special alloy" nib that seems to flex similar to the above (and bleeds like crazy when doing it).

I think that's enough flex to call it semi-flex (although I'm sure Bo Bo Olson would disagree)

If the nibs are going to be replaceable, what would happen to old 14k nibs that are "spent"? Would you consider some kind of buyback scheme so you could recycle the Gold?

My Vintages:

Sheaffer Triumph, Saratoga, Targa Slim and Targa Standard; Waterman 3V and 52 1/2V; Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler x 2; Eagle Unbreakable in sterling silver; Eversharp Bantam; Parker Duofold Lucky Curve BCHR and Duofold in red hard rubber; Spors Co. glass nib pens x 4; Conklin 2NL and 20P.

I actually recently brought out my Platinum PTL-5000 and gave it a spin after reading about the flex properties that people said it had. After trying it and comparing it to other pens that were described as semi-flex, as well as the springy Pilot nibs, I've decided that it is most definitely springy, and not semi-flex. The amount of pressure required to flex it, the rate at which it springs back and also the amount of line variation achievable with reasonable pressure doesn't quite fall into semi-flex, at least in the way that I understand it to be.

The semi-flex nibs used for comparison were a Pelikan 140 EF and a Merlin 33 FP, and the springy nib used was a Pilot Custom 74 F.

I actually recently brought out my Platinum PTL-5000 and gave it a spin after reading about the flex properties that people said it had. After trying it and comparing it to other pens that were described as semi-flex, as well as the springy Pilot nibs, I've decided that it is most definitely springy, and not semi-flex. The amount of pressure required to flex it, the rate at which it springs back and also the amount of line variation achievable with reasonable pressure doesn't quite fall into semi-flex, at least in the way that I understand it to be.

The semi-flex nibs used for comparison were a Pelikan 140 EF and a Merlin 33 FP, and the springy nib used was a Pilot Custom 74 F.

Makes sense, it's easier to flex my Stratford button-filler, but the amount of pressure needed on the platinum (and how the ink pools between pressure) doesn't make it practical to what people seem to describe as a semi-flex or full flex, and my only experience with something described as 'flex' is an Esterbrook 2048 nib (listed as a flexible fine), which to me required a lot more pressure to make it flex and was scratchier than I'd like (which between that and the pressure required to flex it didn't seem that practical).

Edited by KBeezie

• 1 month later...

Hello again folks!

I've got some prototypes made, and some of them are about to go out to the 7 lucky people who took my survey.

However, is anyone in Chicago by chance? I'm looking for some people to partake in a flex fountain pen focus group to help me work out some small details in the designs.

If you're in Chicago and open to doing a focus group (you'll be generously compensated for your time), please PM me ASAP.
Pierre

Hello again folks!

I've got some prototypes made, and some of them are about to go out to the 7 lucky people who took my survey.

However, is anyone in Chicago by chance? I'm looking for some people to partake in a flex fountain pen focus group to help me work out some small details in the designs.

If you're in Chicago and open to doing a focus group (you'll be generously compensated for your time), please PM me ASAP.

Pierre

I'm very excited for this! Good luck!

CHECK OUT MA BLOG! www.inkredibleblog.wordpress.com

Not in Chicago (sorry Presto) but apparently I *am* one of the lucky 7.... Had completely forgotten about this until I got the email today.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Whoops, found this too late and completed it lol

Edited by Guernseytim

I filled out the poll to help with data, but I wish I'd gotten to it in time to qualify to win a test pen. Can't wait to see what the winners have to say!

Hello fellow fountain pen enthusiasts,

I am working on a new, inexpensive, high performance flex pen...

Out of curiosity, could you tell us about what the design process has been like? For instance, are you personally making schematics, or are you working with someone who does product design professionally? How have you found someone to manufacture the pen? How long has it taken you? etc...

Hello Everyone,

The Desiderata Pen Company, though small (just me), is now on several of the popular social media outlets.
Please bear with me and follow me on these platforms.
1. I am a one man operation, and when I have news or something special for you to know about, I prefer to post about it online via social media because I can do it quickly and get back to designing, developing and manufacturing things.
2. No mass email will ever be completely relevant to every person included, so with these platforms, you can take a quick glance to see if my news is relevant to you.
I hope you understand. Feel free to ask questions and comment at the various platforms. They are all brand new, so updates will be coming in time.
Note: I plan to use all of them for different purposes, so it would be best if you could follow or subscribe to me on them all. If you're not a subscriber to one or several of these platforms, that's ok, when I have really big news, you won't be out of the loop, I'll probably email as well as post about them across all the platforms.
Lastly, I'm sure I'm going to drop the ball at least a few times in the future. I apologize in advance, but I want you to know that I intend this to be a company which communicates readily with its customers.
Now…have a good night or a pleasant day, and let the universe unfold as it should.
Pierre!