Engrossing Script

supxor

...just completed this Shakespeare poem--and trying to perfect some flourish---très difficiles.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supxor

• Cryptos

• Mickey

• Stompie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No doubt it brings pleasure to the viewer! Thank you for sharing. I like your paper-ink combinations very much, and your script looks formidable.

K.M.J

Thank you, THE PENNER. I use Canson Mi-tientes--often the textured side of it. Inks: either walnut juice, gall black, and Liquitex acylics for colors. As for the pleasure, it is of speakable pleasure to script and learn with each drawn stroke.

• 2 weeks later...

I completed these projects as gifts, today. Enjoy my various stages of learning Eng. Script. So very much, I enjoy the challenges of this alphabet.

These are all amazing! You are too humble my friend, you possess some serious skills. I'd be happy to write only half as well haha!!! I especially like your unique touch to the fleurishes and I really dig the illumination too.

Question: Do you know/practice other scripts as well or only the one?

Thanks for sharing, keep up the good work!!!

Nick

Nick:

Thanks for your words about my scripting. No, I spend all of my time toward perfection of Engrossing Script. At some point I shall try my hand, as it were, with others, but for now, I trying to highly master the most beautiful of alphabets. In my view, that one is ES.

Look for more as I post them.

Bob

A real treat. Please keep sharing your wonderful work with us.

Pavoni.

Dear Pavoni,

I shall continue to share it, as long as it brings the reader- and viewership some pleasure. I do not declare the script to be at the highest standard, whatsoever. I do know, though, it brings pleasure to individuals, and because of such, I continue to share it. I, at 65 years of age, spend long hours writing and perfecting the alphabet--simply the most beautiful and special of all alphabets, in my mind and my teacher's. With accomplished flourish, it takes over the top in beauty.

Cordially and ever gratefully,

Bob

I share two photos. The first includes an example of my engrossing script in May, 2012, when I began scripting. As part of that attachment, there is a script example, one year later, 2013; both are envelopes addressed to my teacher, Bill Lilly. The other photo is of a project I completed, today. Still perfection is ahead of me. I am not at all happy with the letter A in amen. Enjoy as you wish.

post-40424-0-20704200-1401750673_thumb.jpg

Lovely script, Bob. So far I haven't notice you mentioning a point preference. If I remember correctly, Bill Lilly favors fairly stiff points, like the Gillott 1068A. I'm a fan of the Esterbrook 128, but I'm mostly into Spencerian, and under ornamented Spencerian at that.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

As Bill, I use the Gillott 1068A's. Too, I use Nikko G's; two years ago he put me on to them; he found them at that time to be quite good. The last projects, certainly those posted, here, in May--late April--were written/drawn with the Nikko G. Both Bill and I would like to get our hands on some old bronze 1068A's.

I use only Bill's holders and one made for me by Chris Yoke (it contains a Lilly flange), since the flange is longer, allowing me to decrease the angle of the nib. I have others--some quite expensive--but find that Bill's and Chris's work the best. I find, in my case, that the ink flows best onto the paper when the angle is not too steep. The engrossers who are far more accomplished than I am might find the angle to be far too small. With much trial and error--and knowing Bill's adjustment preference, the low, small angle works well for me.

Pardon the rambling, if it comes off as such.

As Bill, I use the Gillott 1068A's. Too, I use Nikko G's; two years ago he put me on to them; he found them at that time to be quite good. The last projects, certainly those posted, here, in May--late April--were written/drawn with the Nikko G. Both Bill and I would like to get our hands on some old bronze 1068A's.

I use only Bill's holders and one made for me by Chris Yoke (it contains a Lilly flange), since the flange is longer, allowing me to decrease the angle of the nib. I have others--some quite expensive--but find that Bill's and Chris's work the best. I find, in my case, that the ink flows best onto the paper when the angle is not too steep. The engrossers who are far more accomplished than I am might find the angle to be far too small. With much trial and error--and knowing Bill's adjustment preference, the low, small angle works well for me.

Pardon the rambling, if it comes off as such.

Not at all. Finding out what works best in one's own hand is important. Contrary to some opinions, this is not a one size fits all business. My day in day out pen is an Erastus Brooks Seminary Series 541, a not particularly sharp Sheffield made point (probably pre-WWII), somewhere between a 1068 A and an Esterbrook 128 for flexibility. Their chief virtues are that they almost never snag, were cheap ($20/gross), and keep me from using up my relatively small supply of 128s.

I make my own flanges from spring temper phosphor bronze. They are a little wider than typical, but not quite as wide as Bill's flanges. The phosphor bronze make them a bit of a challenge to adjust, but I like the very slightly springy feel.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

As always your passion and dedication show in your work. Keep it up!

Nick

I do work diligently at perfecting this alphabet. My goal is to out script Bill Lilly! Fat chance; but I shall try--and I tell him so, often.

I am simply awed by the number of hits to this entry, which I made weeks, ago. The interest in engrossing script, such a sincere interest of mine, strikes me so positively.

I came upon this photo a couple of days, ago. My signature, BOBBY H, was entered by me and into one on my third grade text books in 1958, soon after I learned cursive. At that time, I was just 9 years old. Even I shall admit to this fact: my writing ability has improved to some degree.

Your engrossing script is enchanting, seriously beautiful.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”