#1 north

north

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2014 - 17:33

I'm new and have never used a Fountain Pen before. I have just received the JinHao x750 from The Goulet Pen Company and am using both medium and fine nibs. I'm using Sheaffer ink.

Anyways, my problem is that I seem to can't fill my converter with ink. It just arrived in the mail and is slightly cold. Could that be the reason why? I'm doing the same exact thing as everyone is in videos that I have watched and everything. I only have a 50ML bottle of ink, so I have to tilt my pen slightly to get the entire filter in. May that be a problem? Granted that I only tried about 4-quick times, I just may need to take my time. But I'd love to get writing with this pen.

Are there any easy ways I can fill my pen? Why can't I fill my pen? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Edited by north, 24 March 2014 - 17:48.

Novice pen user. Just received my first pen - JinHao x750 - on 24/3/14. Thanks Goulet Pen Company!

Proud owner of Northern Photography ND and Northern Graphics.

#2 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2014 - 18:03

OK, take a deep breath.

Now let it out.

The nib on the X750 is a bit long. You need to make sure the ink is coming up onto the section (grip part that holds the nib and feed) before you start filling. Hold the converter with one hand and turn the knob with the other. You should see the ink going up the converter.

Can you post a video?

#3 north

north

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2014 - 18:08

OK, take a deep breath.

Now let it out.

The nib on the X750 is a bit long. You need to make sure the ink is coming up onto the section (grip part that holds the nib and feed) before you start filling. Hold the converter with one hand and turn the knob with the other. You should see the ink going up the converter.

Can you post a video?

Oh, I had no clue it had to go all the way up to the grip. I thought it was only up covering the filter/feed (forgot what it's called). I was only making sure that only a good part of the feed was covered. I'll definitely try this. Thanks a ton.

Novice pen user. Just received my first pen - JinHao x750 - on 24/3/14. Thanks Goulet Pen Company!

#4 Ray Cornett

Ray Cornett

Snorkel Freak

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2014 - 19:16

I had the exact same issue and I have the same pen and love it by the way. The trick to it as taught to me by the person teaching me to refurbish pens is,,,,start with the piston all the way at the top of the converter, dip the pen, screw the knob until the piston is all the way down toward the nib, then bring it back up, all while still in the ink. You will noticed some space left in the converter after you do this. You can take the converter with the nib pointing up, twist the knob until the empty space is gone(I recommend holding the section with a paper towel in case you go a little too far)then put the nib back in and then draw the converter back up to bring in more ink. This will lead to a fuller fill. With practice you'll get the converter completely full consistently instead of having that empty space.

To write or not to write. There is no question. Write!

#5 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2014 - 22:11

There is a much simpler way to fill a converter from an almost empty bottle. Take out the converter, and dip its mouth in the ink, then fill it, and replace the filled converter in the pen as you would a cartridge.

Normally I leave the converter in the pen and fill through the nib, as in a way the filling process cleans the feed, but when ink is low that is the way to go.

And you might get some narrow containers to decant your last ink in. Just wide enough to allow the pen in, like a reaction tube from chemistry...

D.ick

The FPN-Stipula LE 2011 and 2012, too .:

....GOT THEM!!!!!!

#6 north

north

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2014 - 00:23

Okay, I'm home now and I tried it. I only got it half full the first time and then the second time I got it quite full. Thanks guys!

There is a much simpler way to fill a converter from an almost empty bottle. Take out the converter, and dip its mouth in the ink, then fill it, and replace the filled converter in the pen as you would a cartridge.

Normally I leave the converter in the pen and fill through the nib, as in a way the filling process cleans the feed, but when ink is low that is the way to go.

And you might get some narrow containers to decant your last ink in. Just wide enough to allow the pen in, like a reaction tube from chemistry...

D.ick

Awesome tip, thanks a ton!

#7 mknoblauch

mknoblauch

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2014 - 15:48

What I do to get the last ink out of a bottle is to use a blunt syringe or a small diabetic's syringe to draw up the ink from the bottom of the bottle and then fill the converter much like you might see in some online videos about refilling plastic cartridges. This method might work well for your large 159.

If you can't easily buy some at a pharmacist's or get them from a friend like I did, The Goulet Pen Company (www.gouletpens.com) sells syringe filling kits for just 4.95 USD (no affiliation, just a happy customer, http://www.gouletpens.com/Goulet_5ml_Ink_Syringe_Set_p/gpc-inksyringe.htm)  

I have also have used RMN's method of dipping just the converter in the bottle, too, and that makes life somewhat easier.  

What I have discovered I like best about syringe filling some of my smaller converters like the squeeze converter on my Kaweco Classic Sport or the smallish one on my Monteverde Artista Crystal, is that I can get them 100% full of ink.  I know it seems like it might be extra effort to get just a little more ink than you would traditionally filling the pen, but those few drops seem to go a long way. 

#8 WirsPlm

WirsPlm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 18:55

Pens with big nibs (like the 750) are particularly susceptible to this kind of problem and it can be quite a pain, I find that filling from vials can sometimes be the best solution (put the ink in the vial then fill from the vial, and as a bonus there's less ink to spill if something happens), not all bottles are well designed and easy to fill from.

#9 zzbr76

zzbr76

Mint

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:16

It is bad that you started with a jinhao. Go for pilot or platinum, maybe a pelikan m200, fine or extra fine... Then you start upgrading.... If you write often, do not use above fine nibs.... It s not worth it

#10 ceac

ceac

Grey hair is a sign of wisdom ... if you stay silent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 17:11

D.ick

+1 !!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, new, ink