Best Black Ink

pranav.bhatnagar

Dear people,

Good day!

I am looking for a black ink with easy maintenance and non-iron gall contents in it. My options are:

1. Mont Blanc

2. Pelikan Edelstein

3. Parker.

4. Waterman

5. Caran de Arch

6. Pelikan 4001

Any ideas about it??

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carlos.q

• WilsonCQB1911

• pmhudepo

• pranav.bhatnagar

Easy to wash out & non clogging= Waterman

Really dark+lubbing+waterproof= Noodler's

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I have all of them but the CdA...

Parker and waterman are trouble-free inks but not so dark. Montblanc is darker.

I have found that pelican Edelstein is globally of the same color than the 4001, maybe a tad darker. the 4001 brilliant black is usually the first ink that goes into a new pen but I have found that after flushing the pen until clear water comes out, there is a red-purple dye that comes out once the nib left soaking into clear water overnight. Not such a trouble for cleaning but better be aware of it if you plan to use a clear ink next.

Aurora black is probably one of the best black ink around.

No question to my mind - Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black. Very black, very well behaved, and very inexpensive.

If you just want to spend more, then look at Graf von Faber Castell Carbon Black. Just as good as the Pelikan for a whole lot more money. I don't see any advantage with that or the other more expensive brands over Pelikan. Blues and other colors are a whole different story though...

Oh, Waterman seems a little washed out to me. Not recommended for a pure black.

I've tried a few of the popular black inks bought in high street shops, and I do use and like Waterman 'Intense black'.

I've never had any problems at all with this one, seems to suit all of my fountain pens, and cleans out of them easily.

The only ink on your list that I've tried is Montblanc Mystery Black, but it's one of my favorite blacks and favorite inks. It doesn't have the waterproofness and other special features of a Noodler's, but it's a simple, no-fuss ink that works well. I like my blacks to be like a blackhole. It's close, not quite there, but good enough to make me happy. I feel like I'm down on this ink, and I'm not trying to be. I'm very happy with it, and will buy more when it runs out.

If you are left-handed like me and use Clairefontaine and Rhodia paper, Noodler's Heart of Darkness is your ink: a very, very black black that dries very quickly.

Pranav, Look at what local blacks are available. Camlin makes a nice one I believe.

+1

From the options the OP presented I would recommend:

Waterman Black for a dry pen

Pelikan 4001 for a wet pen, or if he needs water resistance.

Both are easy maintenance and IG-free.

J Herbin Perle Noir is quite black and very friendly

Waterman black is also quite good

I have also gotten good results from Aurora Black

Noodler's heart of darkness is very black and it has been trouble free for me. It is not one of the bulletproof inks.

Noodler's heart of darkness is very black and it has been trouble free for me. It is not one of the bulletproof inks.

According to noodlers website it is. Or am I reading it wrong?

I use both Cross/Pelikan and Waterman, depending on the pen.

- With a dry pen, I use Waterman to get the ink to flow.

- With a WET pen, I use Cross to slow down the ink flow.

The Waterman ink in my pens looks pretty BLACK to me.

I used Parker Quink black all through college. This was because I only cartridge ink in my carry pens. I was frustrated because the black was really a dark gray, and it looks worse when used in a F nib pen.

A couple years ago, I bailed out of Parker Quink because I read reports that backed up my impression that the black was really a dark gray. For a F or XF nib pen, I want a BLACK ink. I switched to Cross (made by Pelikan) and Waterman.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Although none of the OP's options, Aurora black is probably one of the blackest blacks around. Also a vote for J Herbin Perle Noir.

1. Aurora Black. Probably the blackest ink out there, also provides very good flow and is generally very well behaved.

2. Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black. Also very black (maybe a tad less than Aurora). Slightly dry in character, but also very well behaved.

3. Waterman Black - not the absolute blackest ink but very well behaved.

Seems like we've actually got a pretty strong consensus here. +1 for Waterman or Pelikan 4001, depending on if you want a wetter or drier ink, respectively, out of the inks you listed.

More generally, IMO, Aurora is probably the most pleasant black to use; Noodler's is the best behaved and most waterproof; and J. Herbin Perle Noire has the best overall balance of attributes.

I have old (~ 1990s) Montblanc Black in an extra-fine MB 244, which I think is a great combination. Really love how this flows. Very happy with it.

Currently out of rotation, but I also liked Aurora Black in a Metal Falcon with its soft extra-fine nib. Can't claim that this is a proper comparison, because the Montblanc nib is so much softer and juicier (and needs much more careful handling).

But, I am running out of MB Black, so I guess in a few months' time I'll know if Aurora Black is indeed a proper substitute. I suspect it will be.

Steve Light seems to like it: http://damon-young.blogspot.nl/2010/02/write-tools-17-steve-light.html ( Aurora Black, optionally mixed with Noodler's Heart of Darkness)

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Waterman and Parker are always safe bets. However, I love Noodler's black X-Feather. You can use it on any paper without feathering.

I am trying to simplify black inks. In my view it comes down to Aurora and Noodler's Heart of Darkness [i didn't care for Noodler's black. It seemed washed out to me.] Of the two I have go give the nod to Aurora for a rich black with consistent good manners is a range of pens.

Mike