Jamerelbe

Toucan Violet - the third-last in the range (not sure whether I'll bother with #14). The review below may seem a bit harsh - but honestly, the only thing I don't love about this ink is its colour (!). It's well-behaved, reasonably saturated, washes well out of my pens... I just, well, prefer a more 'brightly coloured' purple (or violet). The ink in the Platinum Preppy (see sample) is just about perfect for me - this colour seems 'flatter' by comparison.

That said, Toucan Violet is a 'legitimate' colour in its own right - it reminds me of the flowers on a spray of lavender.

You know the drill: manufactured by Tintex, only available for purchase in Australia and NZ (at least for now), but an amazing price - kind of makes up for the extra we have to pay on every stinkin' pen and ink and paper that has to be imported Down Under and sold at a ridiculous mark-up to boot ('Pardon my potty mouth'!, as Fix-It Felix Jr would say...).

Here it is - scan only (unless someone asks for a photo), but I think this is reasonably accurate:

http://i.imgur.com/prgY6Ct.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Jamerelbe

• lapis

Thanks for the review. All in all, I don't like what I see here. It's maybe a bit washed out, but moreover somehow too light a grey and "undetermined". In plain English, something appears to be missing....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for the review. All in all, I don't like what I see here. It's maybe a bit washed out, but moreover somehow too light a grey and "undetermined". In plain English, something appears to be missing....

I agree - it just lacks the 'pop' of some of the brighter inks in the range (not to mention the Purple Preppy ink!). I'd like to try mixing in a little of the magenta, or perhaps better the crimson - just to 'brighten it up' a little, see if I can't get a more 'vibrant' ink... If I do, will try and remember to drop back in and post a sample or two...

I agree - it just lacks the 'pop' of some of the brighter inks in the range (not to mention the Purple Preppy ink!). I'd like to try mixing in a little of the magenta, or perhaps better the crimson - just to 'brighten it up' a little, see if I can't get a more 'vibrant' ink... If I do, will try and remember to drop back in and post a sample or two...

I'd be more than thrilled to see such a sample!!! :)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

For those who are interested, here's the result of a 5-minute experiment aimed at producing a 'brighter' shade of violet. Not exactly the colour outcome I was looking for - but it gives you an idea of how easy it is to 'mix and meddle' with these inks.

Please note I was dipping nibs to save time and effort (which explains the variable darkness of the Toucan inks!) - but I think it gives a reasonable representation of the colours involved:

http://i.imgur.com/6bXSsMn.jpg

Good job!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 weeks later...

Consider yourself inspirational.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_325.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 weeks later...

North American Group Buy Coordinated by Sinistral.

Closing date is 5/28/2014

Make your order here.