What Is A Dupe For Sailor Jentle Apricot?

lreiley

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• paulmcmanus

• DanF

• lreiley

Not to derail your post, but what's wrong with Apricot for you?

It's the one Sailor ink I have yet to try, so I don't have any help to give you.

I'd forgotten that Sailor got stupid and stopped selling ink to any company that did not also carry their pens. Anderson Pens has Apricot in stock. Fahrney's and FPH don't seem to stock it.

I don't know anything similar.

I've tried a few orange inks, but haven't found anything quite like Sailor Apricot. You can also get it from Jet Pens.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Brian wrote this back when they stopped carrying Sailor inks about alternatives to apricot

"This is a bright orange color, a conventional ink. It has pretty good shading, and while not a super-practical color, it is fun. It's closest alternatives are Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin, Pilot Iroshizuku Yu-Yake, and Noodler's Apache Sunset. You can check out and compare it to other orange inks in the Swab Shop."

I think Private Reserve Shoreline Gold has been mentioned as close too....

Neither Apache Sunset nor Shoreline Gold is anywhere near the same purity of color as Apricot. Can't speak for the other two.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I agree. I've looked at a lot of oranges, and I've never found anything quite like Apricot. I am wondering about Tarumi Apricot by Sailor Kobe, though. It's on its way to me and I'll do a comparison. $20 from cool-japan on ebay, and available to everyone. :)

I have the Kobe Apricot. I haven't noticed any shading at all. It's an almost fluorescent orange, a shade or two lighter than, but very similar in brashness to, Diamine's Pumpkin.

Diamine Blaze Orange would be my choice for 'the best' orange. Apache Sunset is one of the greatest inks of all time, unsurpassed for shading, but it isn't a true orange. And as much of a fan as I am of the iroshizuku inks, neither of their oranges get close to Blaze for shading.

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting this a touch since my Sailor Jentle Apricot is all gone and I didn't buy any after it was discontinued but before it was gone...

Anybody replaced Apricot with something else and was satisfied?

I hope Sailor listens and rereleases this. Seems odd they didn't put an orange in their new ink lineup. I'd be interested in a sheeny shady pink from them too. Something like Yama-Dori but in pink with maybe a blueish sheen?

I have heard some good things about the Bung Box inks... but I haven't tried them myself yet. Someone, somewhere, said that Bung Box tangarine/oranges whatever it is called is a good replacement, but I have little to go on... I'd love confirmation or denial of that

No way. I just tried that BB Tangerine/mandarin last week, and it's nothing like Sailor Apricot. It's closer to Onago-iro After School.

I know this probably isn't too helpful to most people, but if you're desperate, Sailor's Onago-iro Honey is almost identical to Sailor Apricot and Sailor Kin-mokusei. Even in a side by side comparison, it's really a struggle to tell the difference. Even for me, who basically spends hours hunting for subtle differences between inks. The only slight difference is that *sometimes* (not always), the lighter shading portion of text can be a teeny tiny bit lighter than in Sailor Kin-mokusei (which is apparently the same ink as Apricot, according to Sam_Capote's comparisons). But again, it's not always, and it's barely noticeable, even when staring at it close up.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Pens/DSC09885_zps58997cdb.jpg

Have a look at these: one shot in natural daylight, one under artificial light.

fpn_1425573685__img_4925.jpg

fpn_1425573775__img_4926.jpg

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

Hi Saskia,

No, sadly I don't have the Jentle Apricot.

Well I'm glad I've inspired someone to do something! But how about an extra bit of inspiration? My risible attempt at copperplate is the result of a year's fiddling around with an oblique nib holder, a collection of Gillott 303 nibs and Eleanor Winters' excellent "Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy". Hellishly difficult at first but such a lot of fun when you start to get to something broadly resembling a gracious curve or elegant flourish. And, you can dip those nibs into any bottle of ink you like; in and out, in and out, I've got pages of comparisons I've done for myself.

Paul

Brought it in last December, but still not had time to play with it. The reviews I saw are pretty interesting.

• 2 years later...

I'd forgotten that Sailor got stupid and stopped selling ink to any company that did not also carry their pens. Anderson Pens has Apricot in stock. Fahrney's and FPH don't seem to stock it.

I don't know anything similar.

By the time I got their "back in stock" email, it had already sold out :angry: . I hope they get some more in, because I haven't had any luck finding it anywhere else, either :unsure:. I may have to email the guy in Japan and see if he can get a couple of bottles for me....

"In the end, only kindness matters."