• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• esterbex

• MisterBoll

• tomgartin

Looks like I'll be able to attend either Saturday or Sunday. Will be my first show. Cool.

If you already have a ground nib you like in another pen, bring it to show to Mike or Pendleton. Bring your usual paper to test on. Fill the pen with your usual ink. Flush before if need be.

You have a unique opportunity to have the nib set to your exact liking WITH ALL Needed corrections being done real time.

Don't waste that. EDIT; Along that don't waste it line, TEST the pen out with a good amount of writing AT THE SHOW After it's ground. Maybe it still needs a little sumpin' sumpin' done that will be Free while you are still there. Mike had a problem with a Cross nib of mine that did not show up until I had been playing with it for awhile at the show. Whew. Fixed, then and there.

Remember, they are nibmeisters, not mind readers. The more you can tell them about what you want, the closer to that they will deliver.

It is unlikely you will ever get a Better ground nib For You than one you have ground real time at a show right in front of you.

If you have no ground nibs already, try this. I assume Susan Wirth will be there. Maybe go see her First. She'll have a buttzillion already ground and inked pens. Now of course, she would prefer you buy one of hers but I doubt she'd mind letting you take one you really like to show the nibmeister what to do for you.

IMO, Susan is nearly as happy that someone get Their Right Pen even if that is from someone else other than her.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks Bruce for the info. I have a TWSBI that has a stub nib, and it's insanely smooth, I'll be sure to take that. I have a Montblanc 144 that I want a stub on, and can't decide on a Montblanc Jonathan Swift.

<Whispering> Here's a little secret.

I've been to 4 pen shows, Atlanta 3 times, Miami once.

I've come home with 12-15 new pens. But, I've Never Bought a pen at a show. :unsure:

The 12 to 15 new pens were new ground nibs on pens I already owned. But, the pens that left With me Were Not the same pens

I came home with.

Grinds are a bit cheaper at the shows. Plus there's no shipping. Plus you have the ability to get it better matched to you at the show.

Time to break out the P-45's and Esterbrook 9968 nibs, cheaper pens you might not normally think to have grind and have them done. I have 5 P-45's that have been ground at a show. That's 5 14k gold nib pens, with custom grinds set for Me on each, that I have maybe $50-55 into each. Probably about 1/3 what it would cost to come close to that in a New pen.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

That Brucie is a wise old git. Listen people..... :rolleyes:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Lots of Great Info. I have one of Mikes Nibs from Franklin Christoph that is my favorite pen. I am bringing it and another pen i would like him to grind. I wouldalso like to get a Pendelton Ground Nib as i hear they are great writers. I am just not sure what pen i should have it done on. So Many choices........

WF

WF, I couldn't decide the first time I had one done, so I took 3. Mike looked at them and based on the condition of the nibs, he told me which one would be best. So you might just take 3 or 4 you're thinking about. Of course, you do run the risk of spending more on grinds by having them all done. :)

Edited by Ceilidh

WF, Of course, you do run the risk of spending more on grinds by having them all done. :)

You say that like that's a bad thing.

:P

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Wendi,

I would like to reserve three of the baby Akkermans....#29 Gray..an Orange and an Iron Gall blue or black. If reservations are being taken that is...lol

And, why yes, I believe that there is a red wrap lingering. :)

What is the one pen that you absolutely want to walk away with?

I'm just looking forward to getting some NIB work done while I possibly pick something up new...but I feel like I should have more of a plan.

Optical, I am thinking For You.

A nice P-45 Flighter, 14k nib. I prefer the All Stainless or just Stainless with Gold clip. (We don need na stankin' end caps. ;) )

A clean Aero P-51 in your color choice.

Ink it up, decide if you want it wetter or dryer and take it to Pendleton or Mike for a Stub grind.

The 45 could do more hazardous carry duty. Everyone should have A Properly Writing P-51, at least to try for awhile, and getting it at a show, testing it out after the sale and having it ground is the cheapest way to do that The Best.

If you got a decent deal on either pen, if you didn't like it in the end, you shouldn't have any problem getting your money back of either one here on FPN.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-why yes, I AM a corner crack pen enabler, why do you ask?

Wendi,

I would like to reserve three of the baby Akkermans....#29 Gray..an Orange and an Iron Gall blue or black. If reservations are being taken that is...lol

And, why yes, I believe that there is a red wrap lingering. :)

Will do- Do you know the number on the Iron Gall- and do you want the Orange top color?

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

The most exciting thing at the Pen Fair (except for groovy nibmeistering by Pendleton and Michael Masuyama) are the Akkerman baby ink bottles. Thanks to the wonderful folks at Vanness.

Thanks also to Bruce in Ocala, FL for the information and advice.

I, too, purchased no pen but came home with several new ones.

I was surprised to see the amount of Parkers, Deltas, and Stipulas. It seems like every table I walked up to had plenty of each.

I was glad to see about half the tables take credit cards. I'm always blown away at these shows when I see people who don't take anything but cash.

I put my name on Mike's list for some NIB work as soon as I got there about 1230, and I was number 11 or so. Well, at 1700 (5pm) he had only went down the list by 3 people or so...is there not a limit to how many pens people can take him?

Edited by opticalserenity

I put my name on Mike's list for some NIB work as soon as I got there about 1230, and I was number 11 or so. Well, at 1700 (5pm) he had only went down the list by 3 people or so...is there not a limit to how many pens people can take him?

I was at his table at 12:30. I brought four pens for him to work on but ended up leaving two with him, to work on later, as there were so many people on the list. He said he might start limiting the number of pens but had not done so up to that point.

I was at his table at 12:30. I brought four pens for him to work on but ended up leaving two with him, to work on later, as there were so many people on the list. He said he might start limiting the number of pens but had not done so up to that point.

I would think that would be a good idea. I personally would have no problem with putting down three, and then having to put my next three on the list again...Course, it's his business and he can do whatever he wants. He seems like a very nice gentleman.

HA! BTDT!

You need to BE THERE when the show OPENS for that day. For 2 years FPNer Reprieve and I were playfully pushing each other for the head of the Mikey grind line. :P I enjoyed that, it's fun looking at her pens, she's got some Righteous ones.

I will also agree you're lucky if you can get 2 done in a row. Then you just have to work your way in when you can.

I also Highly Recommend that you get there for the Last few hours on Sunday, maybe around noon. I have had Mike grind pens for me that I had no intention of being ground because it was 2 hrs til the end of the show and I glanced over at his table and the customer chair was Empty. :yikes:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

You need to BE THERE when the show OPENS for that day.

I was there before the show opened and was out of there around 1:30.