Winston Heritage Teal Unboxing

Diver

Good afternoon everyone.

A longer than usual post from me with a number of pictures.

I have (only this morning) taken delivery after a very much sought after pen. It is a Conway Stewart Winston Heritage in teal. Number 25 of 50 made.

I ordered this at the beginning of the week and was supplied by Andy's pens in Kent (thanks Andy!) having given him a quick call in the vain hope he might have had one in stock. Bingo! My luck was in.

I have done a series of quick snaps just to try and convey the size and presence of the experience when one takes delivery of such an item, it is quite overwhelming.

The pen, as already mentioned is in teal, although the low resolution, badly lit shots don't convey it very well, it is a really conservative, understated colour. It visually balances the size of the pen quite nicely. The nib is italic fine. It feels almost glassy to the touch with a hint of warmness to it. It is heavy yet not overly so. It is physically a large pen, but due to the clever tapering to the part where your fingers naturally land (forgot the technical term), it is very comfortable to hold.

To add a little fun to the experience, as I performed the opening I played a little music, Also Sprach Zrathustra, better known as the theme music from Stanley Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odyssey. As it happened, it was rather apt.

So rather than doing a pen review, I would rather leave that to people on the boards here who are FAR better than I at such things, I would just like to share a little of the overall experience with a few pictures. Buying a pen is quite a personal thing and many pens suit many people, but occasionally one comes along and it just ticks all the boxes as this one did for me. There may be better pens out there, other colours, sizes, brands but this one just caught my eye. The anticipation, the sheer size and weight of the box, the heft of the pen when being handled... <sigh>

If you want to see the colour properly, there are plenty of images on the web by good photographers that show the colour much better. I am sure there are plenty of reviews and writing samples of CS italic nibs out there that would do the brand justice. I think Stephen Brown has done a smashing video on Youtube.

For me, I merely wanted to convey the experience.

As yet, the nib has not seen the ink bottle, I am still at the admiring stage. Still savouring the experience. Maybe when my hands stop shaking :-)

After all that I hope the pictures post ok.

Dave.

post-86436-0-45135400-1394815533_thumb.jpgpost-86436-0-32783800-1394815542_thumb.jpgpost-86436-0-21152800-1394815555_thumb.jpgpost-86436-0-11558800-1394815565_thumb.jpgpost-86436-0-36578800-1394815575_thumb.jpgpost-86436-0-93621600-1394815588_thumb.jpgpost-86436-0-96573900-1394815605_thumb.jpgpost-86436-0-80880800-1394815621_thumb.jpg

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diver

• betweenthelens

• warblerick

• da vinci

Nice packaging and pen , Congrats Diver ! we will be pleased to have a writing sample if you do that ,

Beautiful pen, beautiful presentation. How much would you say the pen weighs? And can we see a few pics of it without the cap?

@ Warblerick, I have just compared it to my Pelikan M1000 and it seems similar in weight give or take a little. I don't have scales sensitive enough to do it scientifically so similar to M1000 is my best guess. It does feel nice in the hand for sure, well balanced. The grip section is smaller in diameter than the Pelikan but has a shorter nib and a wider body which makes it easier to handle than the Pelikan (for me anyways). It just feels solid overall. The nib is nowhere near as soft as the Pelikan, but it does have a little spring in it, with lots of feedback. I suspect this will wear in slowly over a year or two of writing.

I will do a couple of cap less shots tomorrow, its just past midnight here and want to have a go in daylight.

@ Dr Saleem Ali, I will try and do a quick writing sample tomorrow, I have had a play with thenink supplied, a Conway Stewart Green. It does seem dry with this pen, but there is no bad starting or skipping. The nib is acting very much like a fine nib. In comparison, I have a 1.1 italic on my twsbi so in comparison I would estimate it writes like a 0.7 ish italic if it is available.

Overall, I think I may have enjoyed an italic medium with this pen, BUT, I am using what seems a dry ink at the moment and it is still brand new. I suspect it will react nicely to a wet ink like Waterman mystery blue or Aurora black will bring out different behaviour, but for now will use up the supplied green.

@ Da Vinci, thank you. It was a decision between the fine italic and the medium italic for me and the description is correct, it really is fine. I suspect it will be less so as it beds in, only a little wear and a lot of writing will reveal it.

Thanks for reading.

Dave.

I have the IM in my classic black version of the Winston, which suits me. I do have the IF in another CSpen, which I enjoy too.

The last ink in my Winston was OMAS purple :) no issues with that.

I have attached a very quick writing sample and a lengthy update for anyone interested.

The ink is the one supplied with the pen and it is a darkish green which has a greyish element and really suits the pen's overall appearance in use. The paper is a cheap 99p book from Asda (owned by Walmart) and has no special properties I know of, the texture being akin to Moleskine for fraction of the price.

I am surprised at the nib/ink performance as it isn't "quite right" yet. It starts first time every time. I left the cap off for ten minutes to test it and naturally it took five gentle strokes to start which is about right.

The line however is very fine. I didn't expect the line (yep I know it is a FINE italic) to be as fine as it is as I am comparing it to my Mr Pen Italix medium italic which is very wide for a medium italic. I do suspect that this is due to the Conway Stewart ink (which I believe is Diamine) being quite dry and the nib is fresh out of the factory.

I am resisting the temptation to flush the pen with a drop of detergent and am going to exercise patience and see if the nib will loosen up with use and a couple of converter refills down the road.

My incredibly rushed handwriting and happy snap photography does not do justice to the pen. I will dig out some nice paper over the next few evenings and do a little writing and get proper acquainted with all the pens character. My initial thoughts are that it would benefit from the italic medium nib, but like I mentioned, I strongly suspect it just needs using, bedding in and perhaps a nice juicy wet ink. I have read many many times on these forums about pen/ink/paper combinations giving such wide results, I will definitely be trying a few out.

As a comparison (trying not to go off topic), I also use a Pelikan M1000, fine nib in green. This is in comparison a fire hose. I managed to tame it by using Mont Blanc mystery black, everything else just acts like laxative, Waterman ink especially.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Winston, it certainly has character for an inanimate object. The finish has a medium to high gloss gloss sheen to it, unlike the silk/matt sheen as on the CS website or on other web pictures, which I do find very attractive. I will be interested to see if it dulls down over the months/years as it ages.

Having thoughts over the last few days I started wondering if I should have saved my money earlier by not buying as many cheap pens such as the handful of Lamy Safari's or the Jinhao 159 and investing in a CS pen earlier on, but in reality, the only way to really get to know what you like is to get hands on and try as many pens as your budget allows. I still use the Jinhao, I still use my TWSBI as I really enjoy writing with them. Each is a fantastic pen in their own right and each represents fantastic value for money. I have however just been smitten with the Conway Stewart brand and have started to save my pennies to work up to my next one. It will take me a long time but it is definitely worth it.

What I would like to say to anyone contemplating buying a Conway Stewart, is to try and get to see one in person. Photo's just do not do these pens justice and the feel of the quality in the hand is just something else, it really is.

post-86436-0-51474200-1394989679_thumb.jpg

Dave.

A little update.

As I mentioned the other pens I used in my previous notes for a comparison in size, I have done a couple of snaps of the three together, the Winston, the M1000 and the TWSBI.

Hope I am not boring people or going too far off-topic. :vbg:

Dave.

post-86436-0-85879200-1394992319_thumb.jpgpost-86436-0-09820200-1394992344_thumb.jpg

I have attached a very quick writing sample and a lengthy update for anyone interested.

The ink is the one supplied with the pen and it is a darkish green which has a greyish element and really suits the pen's overall appearance in use. The paper is a cheap 99p book from Asda (owned by Walmart) and has no special properties I know of, the texture being akin to Moleskine for fraction of the price.

I am surprised at the nib/ink performance as it isn't "quite right" yet. It starts first time every time. I left the cap off for ten minutes to test it and naturally it took five gentle strokes to start which is about right.

The line however is very fine. I didn't expect the line (yep I know it is a FINE italic) to be as fine as it is as I am comparing it to my Mr Pen Italix medium italic which is very wide for a medium italic. I do suspect that this is due to the Conway Stewart ink (which I believe is Diamine) being quite dry and the nib is fresh out of the factory.

I am resisting the temptation to flush the pen with a drop of detergent and am going to exercise patience and see if the nib will loosen up with use and a couple of converter refills down the road.

My incredibly rushed handwriting and happy snap photography does not do justice to the pen. I will dig out some nice paper over the next few evenings and do a little writing and get proper acquainted with all the pens character. My initial thoughts are that it would benefit from the italic medium nib, but like I mentioned, I strongly suspect it just needs using, bedding in and perhaps a nice juicy wet ink. I have read many many times on these forums about pen/ink/paper combinations giving such wide results, I will definitely be trying a few out.

As a comparison (trying not to go off topic), I also use a Pelikan M1000, fine nib in green. This is in comparison a fire hose. I managed to tame it by using Mont Blanc mystery black, everything else just acts like laxative, Waterman ink especially.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Winston, it certainly has character for an inanimate object. The finish has a medium to high gloss gloss sheen to it, unlike the silk/matt sheen as on the CS website or on other web pictures, which I do find very attractive. I will be interested to see if it dulls down over the months/years as it ages.

Having thoughts over the last few days I started wondering if I should have saved my money earlier by not buying as many cheap pens such as the handful of Lamy Safari's or the Jinhao 159 and investing in a CS pen earlier on, but in reality, the only way to really get to know what you like is to get hands on and try as many pens as your budget allows. I still use the Jinhao, I still use my TWSBI as I really enjoy writing with them. Each is a fantastic pen in their own right and each represents fantastic value for money. I have however just been smitten with the Conway Stewart brand and have started to save my pennies to work up to my next one. It will take me a long time but it is definitely worth it.

What I would like to say to anyone contemplating buying a Conway Stewart, is to try and get to see one in person. Photo's just do not do these pens justice and the feel of the quality in the hand is just something else, it really is.

attachicon.gifCS9.jpg

Dave.

Dave, Thanks for the great review. I really do appreciate your post and your frank comments. I feel much the same about my CS pens. The photos really do not do them justice. And I also found that Waterman inks do not play well with them, Montblancs moderately so, and for me at least Conway Stewart or Diamine inks work best. Iro inks seem ok, Aurora are sort of blah, and Private Reserves not so much. I have only tried one Noodlers ink in them and it's just ok but creeps on the nib considerably. So I stick with CS and Diamine inks.

And mostly I do find that the pen/nib/feed does need some break-in time. Perhaps a few runs through the converter before things flow as expected. But they are wet (I like wet) writers, and smooooooth. I look forward to more of your thoughts. Meanwhile, enjoy your gorgeous pen!

Rick

Congratulations on a beautiful pen. The color is lovely and the ink is a perfect shade. I sometimes wonder the same thing- if I should be buying cheap pens when I've had the experience of the splendor of Pelikans, Bayards, and myriad other more costly pens. However, I enjoy using a Hero 616 as well as my other less expensive pens and it does help one discover what one prefers.

@ Betweenthelens. I have used my Jinhao 159 all day today at work, taking notes in meetings and keeping tabs on my task list. As it is at least a couple of years old, it has bedded in nicely and is as smooth as silk. I am pretty sure after today that starting with lower priced pens really is the way to start. Owning Jinhao, Rotring art pen, Lamy safari etc, I can't say I dislike a single one of them. They are all different and all have their own character.

Having used my Jinhao today, I am glad I still have it and the fact it is a real pen for disposable money.

Now for a reality check on my part.

For a lot of people, especially in this econimic climate, the cost of a Jinhao is in itself a luxury purchase. I would definitely say without a doubt that I have been fortunate to be able to own an expensive pen, it is an experience in itself. Had I only got the budget for a Jinhao, I would not hesitate, it is a lot of pen for the money.

So having gone wayyyyy off topic and waffled on, I think I might drag a few of my beginners pens out of the pen box and do some reviews and see if I can contribute a little to this site.

A final thought. The UK has a large number of charity shops Cancer research, red cross, heart foundation etc. An ideal place for people to pass on their unused or unloved pens if no relatives or friends want them. The charity benefits and the customer gets a bargain. The pen does not go in the trash.

Now I have REALLY gone off topic. I had better stop and maybe create a fresh one somewhere. :-)

I agree; each pen has its own character and I actually enjoy writing with the Hero 616 as much, if not more, as with

my Platinum 3776 koi with music nib!

The idea of pens going to shops to raise money for various charities is a wonderful idea. Love it. Do you find many pens in such shops? I wish we had more shops that raised money for charitable endeavors. We do have a local shop whose proceeds benefit the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and thrift stores that benefit Goodwill and the Salvation Army but shops to benefit the Red Cross and cancer research, etc., at least in this area, are not in abundance. The city has more shops like this. It's also nice to recycle and re-use instead of buying new all of the time as our planet will eventually run out of resources.

Back to pens…I just wish Chinese pens weren't as heavy as they sometimes are.

@ Betweenthelens. I have used my Jinhao 159 all day today at work, taking notes in meetings and keeping tabs on my task list. As it is at least a couple of years old, it has bedded in nicely and is as smooth as silk. I am pretty sure after today that starting with lower priced pens really is the way to start. Owning Jinhao, Rotring art pen, Lamy safari etc, I can't say I dislike a single one of them. They are all different and all have their own character.

Having used my Jinhao today, I am glad I still have it and the fact it is a real pen for disposable money.

Now for a reality check on my part.

For a lot of people, especially in this econimic climate, the cost of a Jinhao is in itself a luxury purchase. I would definitely say without a doubt that I have been fortunate to be able to own an expensive pen, it is an experience in itself. Had I only got the budget for a Jinhao, I would not hesitate, it is a lot of pen for the money.

So having gone wayyyyy off topic and waffled on, I think I might drag a few of my beginners pens out of the pen box and do some reviews and see if I can contribute a little to this site.

A final thought. The UK has a large number of charity shops Cancer research, red cross, heart foundation etc. An ideal place for people to pass on their unused or unloved pens if no relatives or friends want them. The charity benefits and the customer gets a bargain. The pen does not go in the trash.

Now I have REALLY gone off topic. I had better stop and maybe create a fresh one somewhere. :-)

Charity shops in our area are in plenty, I was in the british heart foundation shop today looking for a pen case but drew a blank. I have had some fun stuff from the charity shops, a camera case, some board games, ludo, snakes and ladders. I have not come across anything other than ballpoint pens (yet) but they do pass through the shops I am reliably informed by the staff. We also have a salvation army store in the central square and that one stocks everything including furniture, sofas, wardrobes. All for a good cause as well.

One mans junk is another mans treasure.

Lightweight chinese pens? TWSBI. The mini version is light as a feather.

I feel a pen review is due this weekend, there is a pen/ink/paper combination I want to review..... Camera is ready...

I have the TWSBI 580 with rose gold overlay and it is fine weight-wise. My Bookworm 675 and my Jinhao 950 are both weighty but my Hero 616s are comparatively very lightweight.

Edited by betweenthelens

I love the rose gold TWSBI.... Not tried one yet, but they do look "the business". Have got a couple of 616's I secured from that famous auction site so I am looking to inking those up pretty soon.

D.