2014 San Francisco Pen Show

FarmBoy

One thing I really want to do is try several different Nakaya style FPs. If I go on the last day are places like Nibs.com sold out or have such low stock left that I won't get to see much? Are the booths so packed with consumers that it's a battle just to demo a pen?

John and his staff (salute to Jonella!) run a very good table. Every time in LA they have a lot of stock, and even if they might not have something specifically that you wanted, you'll know what to get and the order can take place right there. One of the coolest things in LA in Feb was a testing station, that had about 6 desk pens in stands with the different nibs, all waiting to try. Their pen sales don't ever seem completely inundated, though it is reasonable to expect (at times) some wait to get in line for John's nib tweaking.

Don't stress. They will take care of you. Even in a packed room at LA, that was one of the best places to hang.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• JonSzanto

• Finalist

• ac12

Severely tempted, but if I go I might make it a one-day affair. Not sure if I should make the flights a same-day turn or add in an overnight; the airfare is the same right now.

Is there any reason why you'd want to pay for a night's stay at a hotel?

Edited by EclecticCollector

As to the question about Nakayas - not only will Mottishaw bring many Nakayas, quite a few pen nerds will bring their Nakayas, too (speaking as a pen nerd who showed four of my Nakayas at the Israel Pen Club meeting on Friday - only the latest of pen meetings/pen shows I've brought at least a handful of Nakayas to show).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I'd be flying in from San Diego, so the choice would be to make it a weekend or not. I can fly in before the show starts on Saturday and leave right after it closes Saturday and not need a hotel, but I never mind being in San Francisco.

I'd probably stay at the Sofitel on Friday night and downtown Saturday night, depending on how much hotel rooms are in general.

I once did a same-day turn to Vegas for a mid-day wedding because hotel prices were insane (it was during National Finals Rodeo); it makes for a very long day.

Edited by mikeschu

Most of us are trying to figure out how to stretch this into a whole week...and we have live music.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Are we allowed to bring stuff inside such as a bag with a notebook and some FPs? Also, am I allowed to bring a vintage FP as trade offer to a vendor for shop credit?

Not really, but they always seem so insistent on being compensated after I've messed up the room.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Are we allowed to bring stuff inside such as a bag with a notebook and some FPs? Also, am I allowed to bring a vintage FP as trade offer to a vendor for shop credit?

Certainly, we all like trades. And, what would a pen show be without pens?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Not really, but they always seem so insistent on being compensated after I've messed up the room.

:D

Any value guides or guesses as to the trade value of this 1935 (45) Parker "Thrift Time"? Are there specific vendors looking to trade that I should check with? Is it even worth bringing?

I can't help you with valuing your pen, but could you tell me where you purchased that ink? Was it Amber Lea's Market on etsy? I wasn't able to find anything else that matched.

Nevermind, I found this link:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/267358-thistle-ink-powder-blue-black/

Edited by EclecticCollector

2. Being a student, there's only a relatively small budget of around $50. Is it possible to get a functional vintage pen at this price? I ought to get one from one of those boxes which sellers put cheap pens in but I'm not sure if the pens in there are fully functional.

YES.

You will have to look a lot.

At the PPPC show this past weekend, I got a functional elysee pen for $10. The cap was quite worn, but the pen wrote beautifully. Since I did not care about its looks, that was just fine by me. I was happy with that pen.

You also have to ask the questions. Sometimes the pens are not restored, meaning you may have to resac the pen yourself or send it out.

gud luk and hope to see you there.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

YES.

You will have to look a lot.

At the PPPC show this past weekend, I got a functional elysee pen for $10. The cap was quite worn, but the pen wrote beautifully. Since I did not care about its looks, that was just fine by me. I was happy with that pen.

You also have to ask the questions. Sometimes the pens are not restored, meaning you may have to resac the pen yourself or send it out.

gud luk and hope to see you there.

Nice to know that. Thanks for the tip.

I will try to save more and get at least a hundred. I love vintage pens. They're like little bits of history

Teach a man how to fix nibs, and he writes for life.

Decided tonight that after a long trip to DC Pen Show and zip back home for the Route 66 International Festival, we really, really wanted to go the SF Pen Show. So we'll see you all on probably Saturday. Looking to buy dool and unusual things. Happy to bring along any special requests for people, just drop me an email. Really just looking forward to hanging out with all the fun people that go the San Francisco Pen Show. See you there!

Sam

Decided tonight that after a long trip to DC Pen Show and zip back home for the Route 66 International Festival, we really, really wanted to go the SF Pen Show. So we'll see you all on probably Saturday. Looking to buy dool and unusual things. Happy to bring along any special requests for people, just drop me an email. Really just looking forward to hanging out with all the fun people that go the San Francisco Pen Show. See you there!

Sam

Friday night. Band in the lounge. I'll buy the first round.

If you are here Thursday evening, I'll buy a round then too.

Glad you can make it.

This is turning out to be a real party. I'm glad I'm driving up on Thursday. Lock down the lampshades.

~ Benjamin Franklin

This is turning out to be a real party. I'm glad I'm driving up on Thursday. Lock down the lampshades.

Now its lamp shades? After last time I learned and have asked them remove all the good china ...

Anyone know why hotels in downtown SF are insanely priced or sold out/not available on Saturday (8/23)? Never seen it like this before a month out.

Edited by mikeschu

Anyone know why hotels in downtown SF are insanely priced or sold out/not available on Saturday (8/23)? Never seen it like this before a month out.

VMware Tech Summit

VMware, Inc.

Aug 20, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014 Total Attendance: 1,200

Venue Type: Moscone W http://portal.sanfrancisco.travel/calendar_public/images/dotted-line.gif

VMworld 2014

VMware, Inc.

Event Website

Aug 25, 2014 - Aug 28, 2014 Total Attendance: 20, 000

That's just a start. There are dozens of other events in SF that weekend that might bring folks to the city. (Just like most weekends.)

David

Total Attendance: 20,000

Venue Type: Moscone N/S/W

Edited by dms525

SF is a high traffic tourist location. Imagine trying to host an event in the city proper.