• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• JonSzanto

• Finalist

• ac12

Which day should we prefer if we are new to shows?

If you are looking to buy pen(s), day 1

"The early bird gets the worm"

If you don't go on day 1, I might buy the pen that you want, the day before you go to the show...cuz I will be there on day 1.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'll be there all days. I'm finding hard to miss any of the action. Thinking about it more, I think I'll show up on Thursday just in case.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I'll have to go and, if I go, I know I'll buy pens. Sigh. So I'll probably sell a couple the current collection so that I can enjoy the fun of a new pen without the weight of guilt that would otherwise be my passenger on the drive home.

I'm hoping to go. I have no idea what I'd like to buy, but I want to buy something. Maybe a vintage flex since this will be one of the few times I can see the FP in person before I buy it.

I'm planing on going. I plan on buying about 10 lbs of salmon, four snow tires for the Jeep, a dozen pairs tube socks, and 2 gallons of EVOO.

Oh, wait, that's the Costco trip...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I'm planing on going. I plan on buying about 10 lbs of salmon, four snow tires for the Jeep, a dozen pairs tube socks, and 2 gallons of EVOO.

Oh, wait, that's the Costco trip...

Don't forget the cubic meter of toilet paper!

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Costco in Redwood City is much closer than the SF store.

I think 2 exits south of the Holly Street exit (closest to the pen show).

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Ok, forget about Costco for a moment (ah, what a lovely, short-lived meme it was...)

Can any of the locals tell me how far off a BART line the location for the show is? I'm guessing there could be a shuttle or cab from the airport, but I'm trying to figure out if I can totally swing this trip without renting a car. I'll probably want to get into the city at some point and it would be nice it we were somewhat transit-close. TIA

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Ok, forget about Costco for a moment (ah, what a lovely, short-lived meme it was...)

Can any of the locals tell me how far off a BART line the location for the show is? I'm guessing there could be a shuttle or cab from the airport, but I'm trying to figure out if I can totally swing this trip without renting a car. I'll probably want to get into the city at some point and it would be nice it we were somewhat transit-close. TIA

Jon,

I'll put some info together on transportation options with the convention board we are working with. SFO-Sofitel is easy we have a regular shuttle all days. BART is at the airport and CalTrain is a long walk.

BUT, we have enough planned to keep you busy without a car. Finalizing the band now. We will update the boards next week. If you haven't done so, book your rooms before the reserved block fills up.

FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 2 weeks later...

BAND???? Does this mean pen people dancing?

This will be my first pen show. Are they as wild and crazy as I imagine? You know, dancing on tables, ink splattering everywhere and 4 am calls from the SFPD?

• 4 weeks later...

The 2014 San Francisco Pen Show date is rapidly approaching. If you missed it, the show is August 22-24.

We welcome Franklin Christoph and their fine line of American made fountain pens to the 2014 SF Penshow. Also confirmed are vintage pen luminaries Lee Chait and Paul Erano. We will also have the 3Ms of nib work present. Susan Wirth will also present her seminar on how to write write.

The deadline to get a room at the show rate is July 31st. We have added additional rooms to our allocations but these won;t last. Book your room now to ensure the show the rate of $129.00/night.

The 2014 San Francisco Pen show will be a party to remember. On Friday night, we will have live music with the Royal Deuces courtesy of West Coast Pens. This is something not to be missed. If you come early there will be cocktails Thursday night--look for us somewhere in the hotel. More details to follow in the coming weeks.

We hope to see you in August!

Edited by FarmBoy

Are there typically long lines to have a nib customized? How does that work exactly?

I am really tempted to get a plane ticket and check this out. The LA pen show is such a long wait...

What can I do to help?

Southwest has a dozen flights a day...

Are there typically long lines to have a nib customized? How does that work exactly?

You bring your pen and sit down at the table and the magic just happens.

Less traffic on Fridays than the weekend but I have seen the nib guys have a bit of a wait. Fortunately there are things to do while you wait.

I can't comment on typicality, but in my experience of one pen show, you sign up. They get your cell phone number. When it's your turn, they call you.

In the meantime, you walk around, meet people, drool on pen trays and spend your money. I was there on a Saturday, near the start of the day, and I don't think I waited an hour. While I was watching my pens worked on, a young woman sat next to me - I think she was next in line after me - and filled pages with the most amazing Spencerian script. That was worth the price of admission.

Oh, yeah! The nibs that I had customized interactively, so to speak, are amazing. If you want something special, doing it face-to-face with a nibmeister is the BEST way.

David